Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
coaching my boys

Hey folks. I need some advice
I'm not new to the game but feeling my way trough coaching right now. I got two boys 9 and 10.
When we first started we started slow. Competing here and there for about two to make sure this was something they want to do.now they want to be in the gym everyday and want to fight every weekend. My concern is with my oldest son. More of a slick boxer but a little to anylitical. Think and think to point were not very busy so I give about two or three sets of combo to work with and got some results. I got a friend that helps me with them and I think he put too much on the his plate. When he has him sparring ,he just calls out a lot of combos and I think it frustrates my boy and he freezes and gets robotic. Recently after sessions he's really down on himself becuase I think he thinks he's i failing. I'm going to talk full control but my question is with youth fighter is there a pace they need to keep up with or let them get it when they get it.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Well when training anyone you need to be slow on them. You can't teach him all these combos in just a week. You need to first get him to establish his jab. Takes time. a couple days later teach him the straight right. Give him a couple of days to practice it using both punches he was taught. Do it in the order. You teach him all these difficult combinations when he knows how to throw these punches correctly. give him time to practice one punch until you feel he's ready to learn a new punch combo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree B.R. Basic basic that is first step 1-2 double jabs. Solid defense and mobility are key. Then when your boys get comfortable with that and it starts to become second nature. Then move on to more advanced combos. It all depends on each ones ability to catch on. I wasn't the fastest learner but I drilled and drilled till it became second nature without thinking about the punches. Good luck

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Defense should be the last thing taught so they don't get confused with the defense and the punching. Just make sure they keep their hands up thats all the defense you gotta worry about for now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx guys i think i need to scale them back and get back to the fundemental. yall have been a great help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
BR I disagree with you on defense, just as in martial arts you are taught both basic offense and defense.Defense could be as simple as bobbing and weaving.You should be taught one with the other.Peace

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
BR I disagree with you on defense, just as in martial arts you are taught both basic offense and defense.Defense could be as simple as bobbing and weaving.You should be taught one with the other.Peace
This is boxing :thumbsup: Boxings completely different. If MMA likes to confuse their fighters with teaching offense and defense at the same time then hey thats on them but i was taught offense before defense and i've come a long way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get what BR is saying at the skill level of my sons punching and bringing those hands back to the proper position is basic defense. When they get that on down pat it's like putting their defense on auto pilot.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I get what BR is saying at the skill level of my sons punching and bringing those hands back to the proper position is basic defense. When they get that on down pat it's like putting their defense on auto pilot.
There you go :thumbsup: all you'd have to do is teach them how to flick elbow when someone tries to jab them to the stomach hitting the hand away. Them knowing how to keep their hands up is just the basics. Them dipping to the sides dipping with the punches will come easy to them due to their hands staying up. Parrying punching with your right hand if you're an orthadox or with your left hand if you're a southpaw will be difficult for a beginner there for you don't teach them that in the beginning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I disagree but that is what I love about this sport. Two different schools of thought but the results are the same. Oh yea I wasn't:) talking about MMA by the way. I Study Kung Fu before I was a boxer than Kempo before I went back to strictly boxing, so I implement their training style for boxing and it has worked very well for my fighters.But as I said before use what works for you and throw away what doesn't.Peace

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I disagree but that is what I love about this sport. Two different schools of thought but the results are the same. Oh yea I wasn't:) talking about MMA by the way. I Study Kung Fu before I was a boxer than Kempo before I went back to strictly boxing, so I implement their training style for boxing and it has worked very well for my fighters.But as I said before use what works for you and throw away what doesn't.Peace
I used MMA as an example. Since his kids are having a little trouble at it it would be a good idea to just stick to one thing at a time going slowly being that they're young and may take a while to get used to something

1 - 11 of 11 Posts