Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really technically for me fighting in the amateur but for fighting my cousin. He is the #2 ranked Middleweight amateur in the state of Minnesota.

When I fought him earlier this month, I did pretty well for the beginning of the fight. I have that classic lean back dodge mixed with bobbing and weaving. But he found a way to counteract that. Combinations. I can block 2 punches at a time, no problem. But he was hitting me four times in a row square on the chin. It was one of my only losses in boxing. We fought for 1 hour with no breaks. Thats basically 20 rounds with no time inbetween rounds. He stopped beating me up and said "dood you are really starting to get messed up."

I probably might have been able to fight for an hour more.

So do you guys have a defense for combos?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Well normally when someone jabs i'll parry it and sometimes they'll come back with another jab or a straight right and what i tend to do is bring my elbows together and put my gloves in front of my face the palms facing me covering up to block anything else that will be thrown at me. Thing is you can't let someone keep throwing combos at you. I have much better footwork than i do of defense so i move around a lot not giving anyone a chance of hitting me with no more than 3 punches unless i'm trapped in the corner but i still don't allow myself to get stuck there. Start moving a lot more it helps me a lot not to get hit with combos. Parry and bring your arms up liek i told you to block. It works great for me. I fight a southpaw a lot so when we're fighting the way the angles are i'm capable of blocking a straight left with my right hand by picking it up and letting him hit my arm by turning a little to the side which is what i do. Just keep your hands up. Watch some Winky Wright fights and learn from that.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I would have been dancing around him, but I was out of shape. I knew that I would waste all of my energy doing that. So I started out with the rope-a-dope, but my abs weren't good enough to take the beating. So I basically fought with a Joe Louis stance and a Joe Frazier back movement. When he started to throw the combos, I switched quickly to the rope-a-dope while still pressing him, but he found out my weakness even in that.

When I fight, I am a major counter puncher, and he was throwing combos while I was counterpunching, so he was able to get through that opening and hit me with 2 3 punches at a time. I need to find out how to counter the counter counters (fukking confusing).

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you have nothing about the countering?

BTW, I was wondering, whats your Amateur record so far? If you become famous and become a champion, you better send me a free t-shirt.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
:laugh: i'll definitely send you a t-shirt but my amatuer record is a perfect 0-0. I'm having my first fight on december and i'm feeling ready. I'm a beast :)

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You better get that **** recorded and post it on youtube so that we can see it ROFL. When's the date?

Do they have an Amateur Boxrec?

·
Registered
262 Posts
You can either get in a clinch, or cover your face and get out of there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts