Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I was wondering if one is allowed to compete in the Golden Gloves (Texas Region) without being affiliated with any boxing club?

I am a 21 year old college student, and I boxed as a teenager for about 3 years, competed in the Golden Gloves twice, but stopped once I came to college. Over the past 4 years, I have grown very out of shape, but I have had numerous sparring sessions with former and current fighters my age, and I have found that I absolutely still have it. My defense is still spot on, my offense is still overwhelming, and despite being so out of shape, and even fat, I am still able to slip almost every single punch that an opponent throws.

Before I graduate and move on into the world next year, I really want to compete in the tournament one last time, just because of how much I love the sport. But unfortunately I really don't have the time to dedicate myself to a gym. I understand the rigors of boxing very well, and I know exactly how to condition myself for the fight, and I have access to numerous sparring partners, and even a coach (My father), but I don't have a gym.

I remember back when I had my fights, they would announce the fighter, along with his club, and I remember hearing a few guys, mostly older, be announced as unaffiliated/unattached or something of the sort, but I never payed it any attention. Is this something that is possible, or is it just my mind trying to play tricks on my desire?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts