Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've started training about a month ago... What I do is basicly lift weights (5kg/hand) for like 10 minutes, do crunches for about 8 minutes. And then I repeat that once more. Afterwards I usually hit the heavybag for about 20 minutes. In between I tend to take few minute taking breaks and my daily training session then takes about 1 hour.

Now I have a friend who does alot of powertraining and it made his condition very very good. I don't really like jogging so that's why im trying to improve my condition the same way.
BUT am I working the right way? Or do I need to stick with the same exercice for like 20 minutes which is kind of boring? :(

If you know advice on how to improve condition by powertraining please let me know! Also keep in mind that I like to do my training at home for now so running and joing to the gym are currently no options.

-Raf

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey, I've started training about a month ago... What I do is basicly lift weights (5kg/hand) for like 10 minutes, do crunches for about 8 minutes. And then I repeat that once more. Afterwards I usually hit the heavybag for about 20 minutes. In between I tend to take few minute taking breaks and my daily training session then takes about 1 hour.

Now I have a friend who does alot of powertraining and it made his condition very very good. I don't really like jogging so that's why im trying to improve my condition the same way.
BUT am I working the right way? Or do I need to stick with the same exercice for like 20 minutes which is kind of boring? :(

If you know advice on how to improve condition by powertraining please let me know! Also keep in mind that I like to do my training at home for now so running and joing to the gym are currently no options.

-Raf

bro u need to runlifting weights is not so big of thing rite now, u need to run run run thats the most important part of it all the worst feeling is fighting when ur outta shape ur legs get weak and u cant keep ur hands up u dont need to be at a gym to run either run the dam blocks. run about 2 miles a day and time urself and try to beat that time by a second or two and keep advancing from their and i promise ull be in good shape but u have to run.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been doing some research and i found that, some people say that it is better to do a high intensity work out rather than low intensity. For instance, if you sprint in stead of jog, you dont have to run for as long and your body keeps burning fat and calories even after you stop running.Plus in boxing you're not looking at starting slow and keeping a slow steady pace, you need to come out full speed and go full speed until the final bell rings. Jogging is good for endurance too, but you have to make sure you're running at the right speed, if you run too slowly then it will not help as much as if you jog at a faster pace, your lungs and heart will get a better workout if they're being pushed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But I know people who spend time to run 2+ miles every day and sure their condition is very good.
But the person that I know that also has awesome condition by powertraining (lifting weights etc) is also very very very strong. WAY stronger than the people that run instead. The reason why I don't ask him is because he's currently abroad.

And PS: I cycle 20 km a day (10km at 8am and 10km at 4pm), with a 10+kg backpack... don't know if it really matters but its still something I guess.

So basicly what I want is to train my strenght and automaticly gain condition like my friend did.
And YES it is really because of his powertraining that he's now got great condition because before he trained mine was way better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lifting weights and crunches etc. He's got insanely strong arms and abs. You don't get that from running I believe...

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Strengthening your core is more important that arms.

Running is very important for indurance. You can also substitute that with a high intensity sport like basketball where your constantly moving, cutting, sprinting, etc.

If you want to increase your power, do your calesthenics (crunches/pushups/jumping jacks) and you can throw in a little core work twice a week )squats/deadlifts/dips

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Strenght

Hey, I read through some workout schedules of some people here and I noticed they never seem to lift free weights... Is it not a good workout for a boxer or something? I always tought it was one of the best ways to improve strenght and your heart (litteraly).

A heavybag and some 1hander 10lbs free weights is like all I have at home to train. So whats best for me to do?
And please don't tell my to go to the gym because I only have like 1.30 hours to train a day and getting + comming back from the gym would already take an hour. (its far away)

By the way: this isn't about conditioning right now, so don't tell me to go running either. I want to know good exercises to gain strenght.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Lifting weights for Boxing or Fighting is not the same as lifting to get big.

Lifting for fighting is about Power, Explosiveness, Strength, Speed and Endurance

Low Weight, High Reps. No Isometric Exercises like Tricep Pushdowns or Curls.

Here are some things you can do t improve in these areas.

Squats- Build Explosive Power and Strength in your Legs and is where most of Punching power is derived from, the Glutes

Cruches
Rows
Bench Presses
Lunges
Clean and Jerk
Everlast Neck Strengthener is a crucial piece of equipment for boxing

Tire Swings- These have really helped me with conditioning and building punching power. Pick up a big tire from a junkyard and buy a sledgehammer with a 12 or 15 pound head and whack the tire 20 reps per arm and do 6 sets.

Also Plyometric Exercises are great for building, Strength, Endurance and Toning MUscles without gaining weight.

For Cardio, I have special routine I do on the tread mill.

I get on the tread mill and do a 30 minute non stop run.

I start out doing...

5 minutes @ 5mph
5 minutes @ 6mph
5 minutes @ 7mph
5 minutes @ 8mph
5 minutes @ 9mph
1 minute @ 10 mph
1 minute @ 9mph
1 minute @ 8mph
1 minute @ 7mph
1 minutes @ 6mph

Finish

I also have heavy hands Heavy Hands - Regular Black and use them while I run and fire combos while I run or you can use 2lbs dumbells. It adds an interesting twist to the workout because firing accurate and effective combos while you're fatigued is very challenging and will make it easier when you fight. It also tests you mentally.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help so far, but can you also give me a few exercices that would be good with 10lbs 1handed free weights? And also tell how many reps or minutes they require? I want to gain explosive strength and endurance!

I've been mainly doing curls for about 15 minutes long with 10lbs per hand... So that's not good I guess ? :(

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not much, but there is something?
And about my training again: I know 10lbs is low weight but I try to make up with it by doing curls nonstop for about 15 minutes. Is this exercise any usefull tho? Or shouldn't I even bother doing it at all?

And what low budget exercises will help me improve explosive strength? Pushups perhaps with elevating at end? Anything else cause I'm not really good at that? (working on it though)

-Cheers

·
Registered
397 Posts
Curls aren't going to make you any better at boxing or increasing the quality of your conditioning.

It's kind of hard for me to give you budget exercises for someone who only has 10 pound dumbells but I'll give you a budget workout that fits to your situation as best I can.

Okay here is what your going to need.

-A backpack with 2 straps
-A tire preferably a large tire (not tractor size but something you would find on a large pickup truck
-A sledgehammer with a 12 to 15lbs head
-Cinder Block
-anything small and heavy like (paperweights or textbooks)

Some things that you're going to have to buy

A heavier pair of dumbells (30-40 pounds) Which could cost at the most $80.00 for a pair

Elastic Resistance Bands $40.00

Empty Draught Keg- You can pick one up from a restaurant or from a tailgate party when it's empty

Now here are some at home exercises you can do with these things

Tire Swings- Take the truck tire and hit it with a sledgehammer. Do 20 swings per arms and do, lets say, 6 sets. This builds core strength and muscles used when punching

The backpack can be used for many things.

1) You can fill the backpack with heavy things like text books, dumbells, paperweights and do squats and lunges which builds explosiveness in your legs.

2) You can fill the backpack up to a light weight (20 pounds) and do your roadwork. This is basically in place of a weighted vest.

3) You can fill the backpack up and do exercises like

-Upright Rows
-Curls
-Obliques
-Dealifts
-Shouldering the backpack

Dumbell Exercises-
with the lighter dumbells like you 10 pounders, you can do speed curls, shoulder raises, and hold them while doing situps or crunches

with the heavier ones you can do things like.

-Snatches, Lunges, Chest Presses, Shoulder Presses, You can also literally throw the dumbells (like shotput them outside as far as you can) this builds explosiveness as well.

-Beer Keg Exercises-
-Clean and Press-
-Bent Over Rows
-Snatches
-Overhead Presses

With the cinderblock you can add new twisht to pushups by elevating yourself more or you could do power over push-ups (one arm at a time)

Elastic Bands- Elastic Bands are like a home gym in itself all you needs in something to hook them onto. Like a pole or bar.

Some of the exercises you can do with the bands are

-Resistance Shadow Boxing for building fast twitch muscles
-Curls, Crunches, Shoulders Raises, Adds resistance to push-ups, Chest Crossovers, Rows, Lat Pulldowns and many more.

If you have a ledge or roof you can hang onto, this is perfect for doing Pull Ups

Grab 3 chairs and do dips

I hope this can be some help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First of all thanks very much for the advice but I have some new questions now.
1. with the 10lbs weights doing fast curls? Do you mean as fast as I can? which would be like 2 times per second, or slower? And howlong should I be doing it straight? And what will it exactly be training as you said curls wouldn't get me anywhere?

2. Curls with backpack, good idea, but same thing: weren't curls bad? :p

3. I recently started doing pushups with staying down 3 sec and elevating when comming up. I do 6 sets of 10 of those pushups. Is this a good exercise or are other kind of pushups better to train explosiveness/strength? And I never really understood what people actually mean with X sets of Y... I assumed you are allowed to take a little break in between. Howlong should that break be in my case?

Thanks again in advance!

·
Registered
397 Posts
First of all thanks very much for the advice but I have some new questions now.
1. with the 10lbs weights doing fast curls? Do you mean as fast as I can? which would be like 2 times per second, or slower? And howlong should I be doing it straight? And what will it exactly be training as you said curls wouldn't get me anywhere?

2. Curls with backpack, good idea, but same thing: weren't curls bad? :p

3. I recently started doing pushups with staying down 3 sec and elevating when comming up. I do 6 sets of 10 of those pushups. Is this a good exercise or are other kind of pushups better to train explosiveness/strength? And I never really understood what people actually mean with X sets of Y... I assumed you are allowed to take a little break in between. Howlong should that break be in my case?

Thanks again in advance!
Curls aren't bad but doing JUST curls isn't going to help you so sorry for the confusion. I personally don't do curls. I do compound rows and that builds my biceps as well as my back

When doing the curls your aiming to do as many as you possibly can before you burn out. Or instead of doing 4 sets of 10 reps, you'd do 6 sets of 20 or 8 sets of 15. This builds endurance and strength.

Push ups are good. But you shouldn't stay down or give your body time to rest during a set. And again you need to be doing it more than 10 times, try to do it 20 times in 6 sets.

or
Power overs are good ways to build explosive strength but they are very hard.
YouTube - Plyometric power-over pushups
this can be done with a medicine ball like this guy is using or the cinderblock I recommended to you.

Between sets like after you do, say 20 push ups, you should take anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute break before you begin your next set. This should be done with any exercise

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About the push ups though, you say: "you shouldn't stay down"...
I'm talking about staying low with your body, not lying on the floor on your stomach if you meant that. I also filled a backpack now with 20lbs and it's really heavy for me to lift with one hand. I can do 15 reps and then I need a short rest... Maybe it has something to do with me being 16 year olds, weighing 132 lbs and only started working out about a month ago. Keep this in mind so you don't give me any exercises that will be bad for my bones; I still want to grow :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
You're going to grow no matter what. Just set your limits. Don't try to lift more than your capable of, that can be bad.

Being your 16 now your body is already going through puberty and all that fun stuff. Your hormones are going to be raging soon and you'll have plenty of energy to get through a workout.

But like I said set your limits. Don't start at the top, it doesn't work and you'll end up hurting yourself. Start off slow and work your way up.

You also have to be able to find it within yourself to push yourself through the workouts when it gets really hard.

Right now a clean healthy diet and a good exercise program is what you need.

If you need a diet plan, or are curious about supplements and or other exercises I'm here to help

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go to rossboxing.com and buy his book called infinite intensity. Then read it cover to cover and you will have a profound understanding of what your doing and why "vain bodybuilding" is a laughable practice he also shows you how to build you own gym with a hardware store and about 50 bucks. I have no money problems and a fully stocked gym with a top notch trainer right around the corner from me, and I still get 60% of my training from the book.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts