Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boxing starves for super fights, unlike MMA - Boxing - Yahoo! Sports

As someone who has trained with elite fighters from both sports, I can attest to the fact (and often am assertive regarding) that prizefighters take the cake in terms of overall athleticism, particularly speed and endurance. I can also say for a certainty that the boxers of today have a firmer grasp on the technical aspects of it's sport, as opposed to the wreck less nature of it's "younger brother." I was whispered about and called crazy to my face when I told my former cage fighting "friends" that boxing was the only combative sport that has a deep talent pool, and therefore is the only sport I considered legitimate. This all came about when an Olympic boxer came to our camp and schooled us all. From age 14 on, I knew that if I ever wanted to give all I had, boxing was the way to go. Fast forward today, and I put all of my energy into boxing and train with p4p greatest fighters alive, and have been told by ring magazine-recognized coaches that I am not wasting my time.

These articles concern me. The reason why is because I love boxing and want to see it go on with continued and ever-increasing success. I don't want to have an outlook on the future where I either get in a cage 4 times a year or go broke. I don't think many boxers are interested in that, but certainly not any great ones.

Is MMA "taking over?" I'll hold my tongue because I really want to hear what some of the fans/fighters here think.

Also, how biased, if at all, is this article?

Does anyone think that there will be a generation after Cotto, Pavlik, De La Hoya that will break PPV records for years to come?

Do you forsee a flaw in the way MMA operates that could possibly cause the demise of this new and fragile sport?

Thanks!

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
MMA will never get 2.4 million PPV buys IMO. And whilst MMA guys are begging for the title shots now, they won't be for long when more money comes in. :thumbsup:

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

As someone who has trained with elite fighters from both sports, I can attest to the fact (and often am assertive regarding) that prizefighters take the cake in terms of overall athleticism, particularly speed and endurance. I can also say for a certainty that the boxers of today have a firmer grasp on the technical aspects of it's sport, as opposed to the wreck less nature of it's "younger brother." I was whispered about and called crazy to my face when I told my former cage fighting "friends" that boxing was the only combative sport that has a deep talent pool, and therefore is the only sport I considered legitimate. This all came about when an Olympic boxer came to our camp and schooled us all. From age 14 on, I knew that if I ever wanted to give all I had, boxing was the way to go. Fast forward today, and I put all of my energy into boxing and train with p4p greatest fighters alive, and have been told by ring magazine-recognized coaches that I am not wasting my time.

These articles concern me. The reason why is because I love boxing and want to see it go on with continued and ever-increasing success. I don't want to have an outlook on the future where I either get in a cage 4 times a year or go broke. I don't think many boxers are interested in that, but certainly not any great ones.

Is MMA "taking over?" I'll hold my tongue because I really want to hear what some of the fans/fighters here think.

Does anyone think that there will be a generation after Cotto, Pavlik, De La Hoya that will break PPV records for years to come?

Do you forsee a flaw in the way MMA operates that could possibly cause the demise of this new and fragile sport?

Thanks!

This Wetzel, or Pretzel whatever his name is, has no idea what boxing is about. No one in boxing was interested in Mayweather-DelaHoya anyway
Let the prima donna go boxing needs fighters not $$$$ hungry con artists. All eyes will be tuned when two REAL fighters meet next month
for Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito. The winner of this fight for me is the Undisputed Welterweight Champion of the World. Mayweather can go dancing with 400 pound wrestlers all he wants and leave boxing to the real fighters

·
Registered
146 Posts

Thanks!
A couple responses

1 re endurance and athleticism and MMA, We are in the second generation of MMA fighters, - people who train hard in all aspects, however most fighters in that generation are getting into MMA in their early 20's if not later. There is a third generation that is some 10 year old kid training in MMA today. So we are about 5-10 years until we see these kids grow up. When that happens we will see some amazing athleticism and endurance that blows everything today away.

The flaw in MMA's business model is the monopoly of the UFC, frankly MMA isn't popular. The UFC is. EleiteXc has a chance to change that but buy focusing on an over the hill street fighter like Kimbo they're not going to promote the "sport" rather the spectacle and not create true long term fans.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple responses

1 re endurance and athleticism and MMA, We are in the second generation of MMA fighters, - people who train hard in all aspects, however most fighters in that generation are getting into MMA in their early 20's if not later. There is a third generation that is some 10 year old kid training in MMA today. So we are about 5-10 years until we see these kids grow up. When that happens we will see some amazing athleticism and endurance that blows everything today away.

The flaw in MMA's business model is the monopoly of the UFC, frankly MMA isn't popular. The UFC is. EleiteXc has a chance to change that but buy focusing on an over the hill street fighter like Kimbo they're not going to promote the "sport" rather the spectacle and not create true long term fans.
Are you saying that it takes 5-10 years to build proper endurance?

Are you implying that if other companies had some of the great fighters it would be more interesting for fans?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Cotto-Margarito is the boxing saving fite ! Thatnk got the chicken just retired, obviously he didn't want a piece of the winner

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah boxing is better as a sport, but MMA is exciting man

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
This is a thread regarding this sportswriter and this article, nothing mor than that.
Doomsdayers have been forecasting the end for boxing for many years, but hear it is still going strong. Boxing Will Never Die !!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Boxing > MMA cavemen.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Are you saying that it takes 5-10 years to build proper endurance?

Are you implying that if other companies had some of the great fighters it would be more interesting for fans?
No I am saying that since boxing has been around for ever you have people who start training it at a very young age, whereas right now most MMA current fighters are starting at a much later age.

However you have people now starting MMA training from an early age on par with boxing, and that's going to make a difference in the long run.

I often say that most casual MMA fans are not MMA fans but UFC fans and as such fickle in nature.

Good for the UFC but not necessarily good for the sport in the long run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts