Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you think it would've played out?

Corrales 40(33 KO)-5
Gatti 40(31 KO)-9

I wonder why this fight never happened. They could have probably met at 140 in '04 or '05.

I guess the best way to judge them against each other is their performance against common opponents. Both fought Mayweather and both fought Manfredy. Corrales was knocked down five times by Mayweather through ten rounds before his corner called it quits. He TKOed Manfredy in three. Gatti was brutalized by Mayweather for six rounds before his corner threw in the towel. He was stopped on cuts in eight against Manfredy. I would think it's safe to say that Gatti fought the better version of Manfredy. As for Mayweather, it's debatable as to which took on Floyd at a tougher time. Neither guy fared well, but as bad as Chico was handled by PBF, Gatti definitely looked the worse of those two against him.

I think I'd have to go with Diego Corrales with a late stoppage, but it could have gone the distance.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
How do you think it would've played out?

Corrales 40(33 KO)-5
Gatti 40(31 KO)-9

I wonder why this fight never happened. They could have probably met at 140 in '04 or '05.

I guess the best way to judge them against each other is their performance against common opponents. Both fought Mayweather and both fought Manfredy. Corrales was knocked down five times by Mayweather through ten rounds before his corner called it quits. He TKOed Manfredy in three. Gatti was brutalized by Mayweather for six rounds before his corner threw in the towel. He was stopped on cuts in eight against Manfredy. I would think it's safe to say that Gatti fought the better version of Manfredy. As for Mayweather, it's debatable as to which took on Floyd at a tougher time. Neither guy fared well, but as bad as Chico was handled by PBF, Gatti definitely looked the worse of those two against him.

I think I'd have to go with Diego Corrales with a late stoppage, but it could have gone the distance.
So would I :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Wow I can't believe nobody picked Gatti. I'm impressed guys. On the other site it is 6 to 5 Corrales.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm a bit surprised nobody went with him as well. I guess it's because Gatti may have left a bad taste in the mouths of some fans with some of his latter performances. We already covered the loss to Mayweather and I'm sure no one holds it against him losing to the #1 ranked fighter in the world, but bad losses to Baldomir and Gomez...there isn't much you can do to explain those away. Well, I take that back. I guess you can just say that he was a shot fighter at that point after the wars with Ward, Ivan Robinson, and the great 1997 bout with Gabriel Ruelas. Still, though, losing to Alfonso Gomez?? And not just losing, losing BADLY, in Atlantic City no less. That was a rough way to close out an action-packed career.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Oh I don't know. I loved them. Both I go with Corrales. But i'm not nowhere 100% sure. They were both warriors.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
In a battle of suicidal brawlers with equally huge heart and guts Corrales height, reach and power make all difference and out guns a game Arturo Gatti....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.