Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

who wins?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
38-year-old Verno Phillips (42-10-1, 21 KOs) is a world champion for the third time after a split decision win over reigning IBF junior middleweight champion Cory Spinks (36-5, 11 KOs) on Thursday night before 8,874 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis. After a close and technical fight, two judges favored Phillips' power shots (116-112, 115-113) while one preferred the movement and handspeed of Spinks (115-113). Phillips, who entered the bout as a 6:1 underdog, stated afterward, "I hit more with my left. They told me not to reach in. He is hard to adapt to. He is sneaky. You lean in, he will hit you with a one-two. I just relied on my experience. I did my best and I am still in the top 10. I had harder shots. I felt like his people were booing him because they felt he didn’t bring it." A disappointed Spinks stated, "I felt good, just a little rusty that’s all. Verno fought a good fight. He came in to do a job, but I feel I did what I came to do. I am upset with myself. I let myself down."

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Stinx should get the win here with ease

·
Registered
16 Posts
The reason I came on this forum was to find out whether this and two other fights are going to be televised and where. Does anyone know?

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
don't know, don't care. Watching Cory fight is a waste of time. I'd rather spend that time playing jenga with a parkinsons patient.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I think it's scary cause that dog has them wang sucking eyes...

·
Registered
59 Posts
YEAH I THINK I AM GOING TO STAY AT HOME AND WATCH FIGURE SKATING WITH THE WIFE. WHO THE HELL WANTS TO WATCH ANOTHER WEAK CORY SPINKS FIGHT.:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I actually think both Spinks vs Judah fight were exciting and in their first fight Spinks was actually fighting.

But these two matches are the only one i can mention :p

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
The reason I came on this forum was to find out whether this and two other fights are going to be televised and where. Does anyone know?
Yea they are gonna be on the internet on Don Kings website

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i doubt it for this crappy fight .

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stinx got robbed id say.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
38-year-old Verno Phillips (42-10-1, 21 KOs) is a world champion for the third time after a split decision win over reigning IBF junior middleweight champion Cory Spinks (36-5, 11 KOs) on Thursday night before 8,874 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis. After a close and technical fight, two judges favored Phillips' power shots (116-112, 115-113) while one preferred the movement and handspeed of Spinks (115-113). Phillips, who entered the bout as a 6:1 underdog, stated afterward, "I hit more with my left. They told me not to reach in. He is hard to adapt to. He is sneaky. You lean in, he will hit you with a one-two. I just relied on my experience. I did my best and I am still in the top 10. I had harder shots. I felt like his people were booing him because they felt he didn’t bring it." A disappointed Spinks stated, "I felt good, just a little rusty that’s all. Verno fought a good fight. He came in to do a job, but I feel I did what I came to do. I am upset with myself. I let myself down."

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like it was a decent fight. Im sure Don King is releive it was as well to kick off his website TV.
Alexander was the highlight of the night, what a great prospect he is, he does not stop throwing punches.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts