Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who wins? How?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BoxingScene.com was informed that a potential Miguel Cotto (32-1, 26KOs) vs. Andre Berto (23-0, 19KOs) showdown is possible for early 2009. Both sides are reportedly interested in the fight.

Top Rank is looking to match Cotto with a credible return opponent to properly build a planned rematch with WBA champion Antonio Margarito for next June. The two other potential candidates, Kermit Cintron and Jesus Soto Karass, are not out of the loop and still in the running.

Berto, the reigning WBC welterweight champion, is coming off a one-sided decision over Steve Forbes on the Mosley-Mayorga undercard on September 27. Berto was also being considered for Shane Mosley's next fight, but as previously reported on BoxingScene.com by Robert Morales - a deal appears to be close for Mosley to challenge Margarito in January - and that bit of info explains why a Cotto-Berto bout is being considered.

If Margarito beats Mosley and Cotto overcomes Berto, there would be some serious buzz for their rematch. Margarito stopped Cotto in eleven rounds back in July to hand the Puerto Rican fighter his first loss as a pro.

Berto's promoter, Lou DiBella, has said time and time again that Cotto and Shane Mosley are the two fighters he would be willing to put Berto in the ring with as soon as the fights were in play.

The working date for Cotto's return has been February 14 on HBO. That could change depending on the final opponent and/or the direction of his comeback. Source: http://http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=16678

This is no definite, but the prospect of this fight being seriously looked into is fuckin great.

·
Registered
772 Posts
i would love to this fight.... i think berto could take advantage of the fact that cotto is probably still suffering after his shock defeat to margarito but i still think cotto will have the goods to surpass berto.

·
Registered
772 Posts
i wouldn't write off berto though... we seen what a powerful uppercut can do to a tired cotto.... and no one throws a better uppercut then berto at 147 at the moment. imo

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
i wouldn't write off berto though...we seen what a powerful uppercut can do to a tired cotto.... and no one throws a better uppercut then berto at 147 at the moment. imo
Margarito walked at him all night though. I don't think Berto will be able to accumulate enough damage on Cotto. Cotto will be comfortable.

·
Registered
772 Posts
yeah.... don't get me wrong my moneys on cotto... but i'm just saying don't write off berto... theres definately something special about berto and we've seen a few upsets this year already... wouldn't surpirse me if we saw a couple next year as well.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
yeah.... don't get me wrong my moneys on cotto... but i'm just saying don't write off berto... theres definately something special about berto and we've seen a few upsets this year already... wouldn't surpirse me if we saw a couple next year as well.
Mosley over Margarito ;);).

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Hell yeah! A good old welterweight mini-tournament. Something tells me Margarito will be the last man standing.
About Cotto-Berto...hmmm it's a tough one. I really don't know who to pick. I'm slightly leaning towards Cotto because he's one of the best fighters in the world when he's 100% but now after that devastating loss where he was mentally broken I don't know what to think of him.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Probably Miguel Cotto, but its hard to tell when the guy is comming from a crushing defeat.

I believe Cotto wouldnt have much problem finding Berto, and the same goes the opposite way. Would be a good fight but I think Cotto comes out on top, given his experience and the flaws on Bertos defense.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Who knows how Cotto will react to the Margarito defeat, i got a feeling its the kind he'll never fully recover from. Berto is a tough opponent for a comeback fight after such a defeat, i think Berto might get the upset.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think Cotto has all kinds of experience on Berto, and I think he'd win going away, probably stopping Berto in the later rounds,where Berto's never ventured, at least not in a serious contest. But I wouldn't dismiss what Kozie is saying about the effect of being stopped for the first time, if Berto is going to face Cotto anytime in the next year or two, then this might be the right time, before Cotto gets his feet back under him.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Cotto Would Ko Berto in the later rounds, Cotto is too experienced and Berto is just too green. Don't get me wrong it would be a competetive fight at first , but Cotto's experience will win him this fight. As far as him being mentally destroyed after the Marg fight, we cannot assume this. We just have to wait and see.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.