Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The numbers are not official yet, but everyone associated with last week's tremendous Antonio Margarito-Miguel Cotto welterweight championship fight expects the pay-per-view numbers to be excellent.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum and HBO PPV haven't released official sales totals yet because the final tally is not in yet, but both believed it would do better than initially anticipated.

Arum, who said he needed around 225,000 buys to break even, was virtually walking on air the other day when we spoke about the performance of the pay-per-view.

"As bullish as we were on the how the numbers would be during the week of the fight, it pales in comparison to how well it looks like it will do," Arum told me. "So far, I am extremely pleased. You really don't know for sure yet, but certainly it would not be beyond the realm of reasonable possibility we break 500,000. But we will certainly be well over 400,000."

Even before the fight, it was tracking well ahead of last November's Cotto-Shane Mosley fight, which did about 350,000 buys.

Margarito stopped Cotto in the 11th round of the all-action fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The success of the event means Cotto and Margarito will each receive substantial additional money beyond their guaranteed purses because both had an upside on the pay-per-view, meaning that once it reaches a certain number of sales they will receive a certain dollar figure for every buy above the threshold.

If Cotto-Margarito settles at about 450,000 or so buys, it figures to wind up as the third- or fourth-best boxing pay-per-view of the year.

The Jan. 19 Roy Jones-Felix Trinidad HBO PPV card generated more than 500,000 buys. The Nov. 8 Joe Calzaghe-Jones fight figures to be in the same ballpark as Cotto-Margarito. Oscar De La Hoya's planned Dec. 6 career finale, be it against Manny Pacquiao or anyone else, will probably do more than 1 million.

Arum was particularly pleased by the performance of Cotto-Margarito in the Hispanic marketplace, which has regularly supported pay-per-view fights with Latin stars.

"In particular, in the areas of high Hispanic concentration, we kicked a--," Arum said. "We doubled Cotto-Mosley in those areas."

It was only Cotto's third headline appearance in a major pay-per-view card and Margarito's first, although both had headlined smaller shows. Source: ESPN - Dan Rafael Blog

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything over 400,000 is a HUGE success when one fighter was avoided on the excuse that he isnt popular enough and couldnt sell ppv's even though he was the clear #1 in the division and the other fighter is someone that had spent 4 years without fighting on ppv, an unsuccessful one at that, and thought to be unpopular with no fanbase.

Mayweather (I hate to mention the guy and give him attention) never sold more than 350,000 buys before facing the biggest cash cow ever in boxing, Oscar De La Hoya. Good thing he used the retiring excuse because there is no good excuse (even though there wasnt one for him before) left for him to duck, avoid, whatever you want to call it. "Hate, hate, hate, hate" - Hater's Ball

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
The PR-Mexico thing played handily into this. Neither guy is a PPV giant yet, although I do think Cotto has the potential to become just that. I don't think the Mexicans will ever get behind Margarito like they've done with so many others.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The PR-Mexico thing played handily into this. Neither guy is a PPV giant yet, although I do think Cotto has the potential to become just that. I don't think the Mexicans will ever get behind Margarito like they've done with so many others.
That is true, but this type of fight with that large an audience, instantly makes you a ppv giant (depends what you call a giant). I think both will be more popular (especially Margarito) because of it. Cotto can become even bigger then before with a couple wins and a W in a rematch.
There will never be another Chavez, but it's puzzled me that they haven't taken a greater liking to Margarito. He seems to be everything they look for in their guys.
I think this was the victory to put them behind him, not on a Chavez scale, it will be on a large scale because of the heart, toughness, and determination he showed in winning that fight against the PR hope. I was reading a story a couple days ago on espn about JCC not being popular in Mexico till he beat Edwin Rosario, which was years into his title reign.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I can't speak for other cities but Margarito got good attention here in LA. Even more so now after beating Cotto. Good to see the numbers being good

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
I said it'd do anything between 200-350 so it's exceeded everybody's expectation. Although it can be attributed to the PR/Mexico rivalry.. I do think it shows that Cotto (especially) is drawing consistent numbers. 350k with Mosley & now 400k with Margarito. He could go on to be the next big PPV cash cow of boxing.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I think its dumb of anyone who doesn't the Mexicans will get behind Margarito (only mayweather fanboys will use this excuse).

Of corse they will, he just knocked out one of the best fighters in the world just happened to come from the country of there biggest rivals.

A Mayweather vs Margarito PPV would do well over 1m buys.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I am surprised it did well the lack of main stream marketing was pathetic. but every time you have a world class Mexican and Puerto Rican in the ring its almost a given that it will do descent numbers.the fact that was per per view to me was a drag if only because neither guys is a big star yet.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I am surprised it did well the lack of main stream marketing was pathetic. but every time you have a world class Mexican and Puerto Rican in the ring its almost a given that it will do descent numbers.the fact that was per per view to me was a drag if only because neither guys is a big star yet.
I agree this fight deserved a better promotion.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Boxing is the #2 sport in Mexico, so when they have a big fight, they(mexicans) know. I'm not sure about PR but I think boxing is #1 there. So, thses two counties togheter: recipe for sucess.

now look at the other side, Bernard Hopkins(who is supposedly a big name in the U.S) x Calzaghe had trouble to sell sits and actually Golden boy had to pay back 8 million$ because of it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Again its a real shame the way we let other combat sports beat boxing at the marketing game.Boxing is a more marketable product with a great history world wide and if these fighters had better representation more of them could be big stars.Margarito should be at all the big events especially in the Hispanic community.if you notice Every movie in Hollywood gets huge push a few weeks before the opening and a dedicated web site etc.They could do ticket give aways on the radio all expense paid two or three day fight vacation access to the training etc.man here in the Southwest people would go crazy over big fight tickets give away. or heavy discounted travel to the fight in a group. you guys know what I am talking about make it big.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Again its a real shame the way we let other combat sports beat boxing at the marketing game.Boxing is a more marketable product with a great history world wide and if these fighters had better representation more of them could be big stars.Margarito should be at all the big events especially in the Hispanic community.if you notice Every movie in Hollywood gets huge push a few weeks before the opening and a dedicated web site etc.They could do ticket give aways on the radio all expense paid two or three day fight vacation access to the training etc.man here in the Southwest people would go crazy over big fight tickets give away. or heavy discounted travel to the fight in a group. you guys know what I am talking about make it big.
Now that would be sweet. Boxing needs to come back in the mainstream big time.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I agree this fight deserved a better promotion.
i think i read somewhere that arum wants to promote fights with tours etc rather than advertising. just like he did in the old days.

so he's spending a fortune on tours instead of adverts now, which is a good and a bad thing. with youtube however, i think it is a good thing to do tours. we can all watch it world wide.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see what your trying to saying, but we do not choose to exercise the power we have as boxing fans. I respect the UFC in that regard, they know how to best push their product (most of the time) and they always have #1 vs. #2 in the world matchup (except at heavy). Anderson Silva faces #2 after #2 in his division, the asshole of Dana White knows this is important in maintaining and increasing the popularity of combat sports. Also the deal they have with Spike, having their countdowns, old and new fights with name fighters, etc. basic cable.

The promoters could do a way better job on promoting the sport and they know it. The more I think about it having Golden Boy take over the sport and the top fighters would not be a bad idea. Maybe they could be the UFC of boxing

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Boxing is the #2 sport in Mexico, so when they have a big fight, they(mexicans) know. I'm not sure about PR but I think boxing is #1 there. So, thses two counties togheter: recipe for sucess.

now look at the other side, Bernard Hopkins(who is supposedly a big name in the U.S) x Calzaghe had trouble to sell sits and actually Golden boy had to pay back 8 million$ because of it.
It's number #1. PR's LOVE Tito & Cotto. But especially Tito.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts