Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unbeaten WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto (31-0, 25 KOs) vowed he will be victorious on Saturday night when he takes on "The Contender's" Alfonso Gomez (18-3-2, 8 KOs) on HBO in Atlantic City. "I'm going to fight and I'm going to win on Saturday," he said.

Cotto, who is an overwhelming -1600 favorite at bet365.com, said he trains just as hard for every fight, regardless of opponent. "I never even thought of Gomez in training," he stated. "I know I need to have everything prepared for whoever I fight. I'm always training hard and I always bring my best every night into the ring."

One dynamic in Gomez' favor was the absence of Cotto's longtime trainer and uncle Evangelista Cotto at a Wednesday presser in New York City, whom the Puerto Rican press speculates Miguel is at odds with. Cotto would neither confirm nor deny whether or not there is a rift in the camp and would not comment further.

When asked about fellow unbeaten welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather's recent wrestling appearance, Cotto stated, "That's something he has done his whole career. He runs from the really good boxers and chases other things. I don't know how people in boxing support him as being first in the pound-for-pound rankings.....I'm in no hurry. If I have to be patient to face the guy the people and the press call the best fighter in the world, I can wait."

Despite being a huge underdog, Gomez, who appeared to be a couple inches taller than the champ, demonstrated lots of bravado. "I'm gonna beat Miguel Cotto," he confidently proclaimed. "On April 12 Mexico will have a new world champion. I will come out with a belt and I will win. Viva Mexico!"

On the televised undercard, fight fans will see another welterweight world title fight with IBF champion Kermit Cintron (29-1, 27 KOs) seeking to avenge his only defeat against former WBO champ Antonio Margarito (35-5, 25 KOs). Cintron promised he'll do all his talking in the ring, while Margarito stated he's ready to "go into the ring and win." Margarito is a -350 betting favorite to defeat Cintron again.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think everybody thinks Cotto will be victories. I think he's going to put a beating on Gomez

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It seems like there is indeed problems with Cotto and his trainor. He was working out with Miguel Diaz the other day and when they asked him about the rumor that there was problems with his uncle in the last press conference (his uncle didn't attend) he didn't deny or comfirm it.

This may not be a good thing come saturday but then again, he's in with Gomez.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
the possible turmoil in cotto' camp could be the break that gomez needs to pull off an upset, and this has definately been the year of the upset.

i'm glad cotto's speaking up more and more in regards to mayweather. cotto still hasn't said the magic words, but this fight looks like it's definately on course for next year.

mayweather vs cotto: build it....they will come

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone noticed how much bigger Gomez is than Cotto? he's freakin huge for a 147 guy, he's fought up at 160 before.

Anyway, Cotto still puts a beating on him.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I'm really hoping Gomez puts on a good challenge for Cotto. Even if it goes the distance I'm sure its gonna be a great night. Gomez is a good fighter

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
I'm really hoping Gomez puts on a good challenge for Cotto. Even if it goes the distance I'm sure its gonna be a great night. Gomez is a good fighter
yeah, he seems like a quality guy too. i'll be rooting for him to put on a great performance against cotto.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I want it because, for Cotto it doesnt matter too much, if he wins he ends up fighting the margarito/cintron winner anyways.. For Gomez it will be really good for him if he puts on a good fight, even losing-he will.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
I want it because, for Cotto it doesnt matter too much, if he wins he ends up fighting the margarito/cintron winner anyways.. For Gomez it will be really good for him if he puts on a good fight, even losing-he will.
i see where you're coming from, but i think at this point the fight means a lot to him. a loss would cost him millions against floyd or oscar.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think we'll see an 8-4 for Cotto here.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gomez could be the new Baldomir at 147. He's tough, busy and takes a great shot.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I don't think Gomez will last if Cotto's at his best. Problem is that Cotto is known for being in less than stellar shape for fights with opponents he knows he's clearly better than. This regardless of the fact Cotto constatly says otherwise. Branco, Malignaggi, Urkal, ect. have all proved him wrong. I have a good feeling he is not in the best shape for this fight either and it may cost him looking spectacular. He should win none the less.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
After seeing the size of Gomez i think it'll last longer than i predicted in the PL. But im sticking with Cotto getting the stoppage, in the later rounds though.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Gomez is my type of fighter he gives 110% every time he goes in the ring. If Cotto lets the deal with Uncle Evangalista get on his mind Gomez is capable of springing an upset. I'm always the guy that sides with the underdog My logic says Cotto but I'll be rooting for Gomez Go Fonzie Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also watch the way Tony Margarito takes Kermit Cintron out Tony will hit Kermit so hard he wont recognize Miss Piggy
Heres to a great night of boxing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts