Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cotto-Mayorga talks!
By Gabriel F. Cordero

Former world champion Ricardo Mayorga claims he has inked a deal with DKP for a July 19 title challenge against WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto to take place at a site in the United States. In that bout, the always entertaining "El Matador" promised to KO Cotto "in three or four rounds." Mayorga also revealed that he considered a fight with Shane Mosley, but said the offer from Golden Boy Promotions wasn't sufficient to motivate him to accept the fight. Top Rank has confirmed discussions in regard to Cotto-Mayorga, but nothing is finalized at this moment. In the meantime, Cotto has to get past Alfonso Gomez on April 12.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I hope it doesnt happen, sounds like a waste of time to me, not to menttion it would probably be at a catchweight of 150 or somethin.. I'd rather see Cotto taking on the winner of Cintron-Margarito

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yeah, Cotto's had two tough fights in a row against Zab & Mosley so its understandable him taking a lesser challenge against Gomez, but i feel he should after a top welterweight after that fight and not Mayorga. The best fight would be the Cintron/Margarito winner just to end the hype surrounding those two.

No doubt it will be entertaining if it happens though.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
This fight almost can't happen. The reward is too low for Cotto, and the risk could be somewhat high. Yeah Cotto would almost surely win, but I don't see Arum putting Cotto in there with a fireball like Mayorga. There just really isn't any point to it. Cotto-Margarito should get done.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
yeah perhaps it does'nt make sense' but I wouldn't mind seeing cottto beat the living daylights out mayorga, I think it would be a good fight for Cotto

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
when you have a title catch weights are stupid. I understand Pavlik's situation because of the contract, though.

So if Cotto fought Mayorga I could see Mayorga making a dumb move around the 6th and Cotto capatalizing on it. So, KO 6.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
this could change alot in the WW division. Fights that we thought could happen this year might happen in 2009 or not at all

·
Banned
589 Posts
This fight almost can't happen. The reward is too low for Cotto, and the risk could be somewhat high. Yeah Cotto would almost surely win, but I don't see Arum putting Cotto in there with a fireball like Mayorga. There just really isn't any point to it. Cotto-Margarito should get done.
I Agree. Beating Mayorga Keeps Cotto In The Same Exact Position, Mayorga Has Nothing To Offer Cotto. He's Not A Big Name Draw, And He's Not Top Ten In The Welterweight Division. But If This Fight Did Happen It Could Be A Bad Situation For Cotto, Seeing That His Chin Isnt Always Up To Par And He Gets Hit Entirely Too Much. A Big Haymaker From Mayorga And It Could Be Goodnight For Cotto.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Mayorga is a 147 guy, he said that is his natural weight and thats where he wants to fight.

Cotto could be in deep trouble if this comes off, Mayorga could knock him out very easily, that goes for anyone at 147.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Mayorga is a 147 guy, he said that is his natural weight and thats where he wants to fight.

Cotto could be in deep trouble if this comes off, Mayorga could knock him out very easily, that goes for anyone at 147.
Naaaaa Just Cotto And Williams. In The Top 10 There The Only Welterweights Who Have Severe Issues With There Defense. I Think 9 Out Of The Top Ten Guys Expose Mayorga's Lack Of Skill In That Division, Including Cotto If He Doesnt Get Caught Rushing In.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Naaaaa Just Cotto And Williams. In The Top 10 There The Only Welterweights Who Have Severe Issues With There Defense. I Think 9 Out Of The Top Ten Guys Expose Mayorga's Lack Of Skill In That Division, Including Cotto If He Doesnt Get Caught Rushing In.

He was able to knock Vernon out at 147, Vernon has has good "d" good chin and good movement, when he was stopped in his prime he was better than any these 147 except Mayweather in everyone of those criterias.

Mayorga lands he puts them to sleep!

·
Banned
589 Posts
He was able to knock Vernon out at 147, Vernon has has good "d" good chin and good movement, when he was stopped in his prime he was better than any these 147 except Mayweather in everyone of those criterias.

Mayorga lands he puts them to sleep!
That Was A Freak Occurrence, Before That Who Did Mayorga Beat? The Book Wasnt Quite Out Him And He Was Basically A Journeyman. But After That He Fought An Easy To Hit Trinidad, And Couldnt KO Him. He Was 29 When He Beat An Old Vernon Forrest Who Happend To Be Suffering From Injury At That Time. Mayorga Is A One Trick Pony, And Old One At That. I Dont see Him Competing With The Youth At Welterweight.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
No im not, what im saying is he's capable of beating anyone at 147.

Which he is.
That Was A Freak Occurrence, Before That Who Did Mayorga Beat? The Book Wasnt Quite Out Him And He Was Basically A Journeyman. But After That He Fought An Easy To Hit Trinidad, And Couldnt KO Him. He Was 29 When He Beat An Old Vernon Forrest Who Happend To Be Suffering From Injury At That Time. Mayorga Is A One Trick Pony, And Old One At That. I Dont see Him Competing With The Youth At Welterweight.
He beat him twice, once is a freak twice just means he's better than him!

Mayorga didn't even look good against a worthless version of vargas.
Mayorga never looks good, he knows how to win fights though plus that one was at super middleweight.

Cotto will win pretty brutally but mayorga will put up a fight like he always does.
Probably, but he'll be in the fight of his life for 6 rounds, Mayorga lands a homerun then its night night.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts