Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all seen it happen. You follow a fighter throughout his career, and think to yourself, "wow, this kid has really got it". Speed, skill, power. You expect great things, you expect electricity, championships, domination, title belts, and a triumphant walk into the sunset. Instead what you got was dissapointment. Unexplainable freezing under pressure. Questionable heart. Disastrous management decisions. Loyalty to the trainer that just couldn't take you any further.
Watching the recent Judah vs Cotto fight, I couldn't help but to look back at the career of one of the most talent blessed fighters in recent years- Zab Judah. Yes he's had a nice career, but I always thought he could, and should have amounted to so much more. With loyalty to his father in the corner, who's best advice was always a series of shadowboxing preceded by smacks in the chest and a very insightful "you got this guy", it really left me wondering why the hell this kid never moved on up to a different trainer earlier in his career. I honestly believe that a Freddy Roach or Manny Steward could have made a significant difference on Zabs career. The problem was never the lack of tools to work with for Judah, it was always his gameplan, and focus for the duration af a fight.

So with that said, lets air out the coulda-shoulda's of our boxing past and shed some light on what went wrong. Name the fighter of today or the past who at the end of the day left you dissapointed with what they achieved, despite all the skill and advantages.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
This will take me some time to think up, but I will get back to this. If Andre Berto doesn't pan out as greatness, then he will definitely be on my list.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Captainobvious99 said:
We've all seen it happen. You follow a fighter throughout his career, and think to yourself, "wow, this kid has really got it". Speed, skill, power. You expect great things, you expect electricity, championships, domination, title belts, and a triumphant walk into the sunset. Instead what you got was dissapointment. Unexplainable freezing under pressure. Questionable heart. Disastrous management decisions. Loyalty to the trainer that just couldn't take you any further.
Watching the recent Judah vs Cotto fight, I couldn't help but to look back at the career of one of the most talent blessed fighters in recent years- Zab Judah. Yes he's had a nice career, but I always thought he could, and should have amounted to so much more. With loyalty to his father in the corner, who's best advice was always a series of shadowboxing preceded by smacks in the chest and a very insightful "you got this guy", it really left me wondering why the hell this kid never moved on up to a different trainer earlier in his career. I honestly believe that a Freddy Roach or Manny Steward could have made a significant difference on Zabs career. The problem was never the lack of tools to work with for Judah, it was always his gameplan, and focus for the duration af a fight.

So with that said, lets air out the coulda-shoulda's of our boxing past and shed some light on what went wrong. Name the fighter of today or the past who at the end of the day left you dissapointed with what they achieved, despite all the skill and advantages.
Zab Judah. Do I really need to explain this one?:thumbsdown:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
nassem hamed!!!

this guy done the worst thing any unorthodox ighter could, he left his trainer to go to a guy tec better guy ( steward, swarez) when hamed left brendan ingle, many steward and oscar suraez tried to devolpe skill's that were never there, if naz had stayed with ingle IMO he would kept have bringing him on and he'd have been to elosive and destructive for MAB!

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yeh, Hamed made a massive mistake dropping Ingle. The successful British fighters (Hatton, Calzaghe) normally keep loyal to their trainer, maybe theres a lesson to be learnt there...

I agree about Zab Judah. He had amazing physical attributes, but just couldnt handle the mental side of boxing. It seems that everytime something goes against him he just ***** it all up.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
yeah.....but he still has time to reprove himself. Im not giving up. I'd say with all these top guys now, its time for everyone to raise their game.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
JT ha's all the tool's, he's big, he's powerfull he can take a punch and he's accurate he just doesn't have the hunger to excite because he's not a boxing man. he doesn't watch boxing, he doesn't know boxing and if he could make the same cash anywhere else he wouldn't be boxing.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I dont see Taylor coming back if he lost to Pavlik. But i dont think he will, i think we'll see the old Taylor and he'll beat Pavlik.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Part of me wants to believe that Taylor will KO Pavlik, but his chin looked great against the rumored to be powerful Miranda.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Taylor isnt particularly passionate about boxing i dont think, but after a couple of rounds when he realises Pavlik has come to fight, he'll come out of his shell and start fighting well. I think Taylor wins a close UD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts