Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Vic

Votes: 3 30.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After it appeared like the fight would be heading over to 2009, Showtime came through on Tuesday and made a deal with promoters Lou DiBella and Gary Shaw to televise the junior bantamweight unification bout between WBC/WBA champion Cristian Mijares (30-1-1, 24 KOs) and IBF champ Vic Darchinyan (30-1-1, 24 KOs) on November 1. The site had not deen determined.

Shaw told boxing scribe Dan Rafael that super middleweight prospect Andre Dirrell (16-0, 11 KOs) will face Victor Oganov (28-1, 28 KOs) in the co-feature. Shaw admits to Rafael that Mijares has the upper hand, but he is confident in Darchinyan's chances to win.

"I believe Mijares has the upper hand. He's very tough and a very accurate puncher, but I have a very determined guy. This is not a fight that would be my first choice but I have at least 30 e-mails from Darchinyan telling me to get him Mijares. It's really refreshing that a fighter would want a tough fight of this magnitude. There are others who would say, 'Get me some money and an easier fight.' But Vic has a lot of confidence. He says, 'When I knock out Mijares, line up [Nonito] Donaire next, I owe him one.'"

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I like both guys, but Mijares will win and I get the urge to say he'll win easily. Showtime keeps on getting the good fights, they are competing with HBO with only half the budget they are like this years Twins or Tampa. I hope the heads of HBO smarten up and fire everybody in the boxing division (minus one or two knowledgeable people).

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I'm a big fan of both guys which are polar opposites on the spectrum of styles, but both are very exciting and fan friendly. The wise and safer choice would be to go with Mijares, but as usual, I am one to buck the trends, go against my better judgement, and pick the underdog or "less skilled fighter." Why, you might ask? Well, I don't know that I really have a good reason, but Vic is a big puncher and I don't think he is as much at risk for the big knockout against Mijares as he was when he faced Donaire. I also think that loss MAY have taught him something. Maybe that's just wishful thinking and optimism. He's still as brash and confident as ever and he's hard not to enjoy watching, even if attitude draws your ire. I did see Robert Navarro get in a few licks on Mijares on the Pavlik/Taylor II undercard, but he doesn't have power in the neighborhood of Vic, even though he's moved up in weight. I do believe his power has carried. I'm just excited that this fight was made. Hopefully whomever wins will have an awesome fight lined up: Vic-Donaire II or Mijares-Montiel. Can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Mijares will beat Darchinyan easily. Mijares has a very solid chin, he will either win a VERY lopsided decision or stop Vic on accumulation.

G

·
True, there's always an element of doubt but when you have someone with a good chin and is the much superior technically gifted boxer, I only see one result.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
True, there's always an element of doubt but when you have someone with a good chin and is the much superior technically gifted boxer, I only see one result.
There's no question that Mijares is the more technically gifted, but has anyone ever been able to really test his chin? I know he has three losses, but they were all a while back and on points. I didn't see the Munoz fight. I know he was supposed to have pressured him pretty well, but did he land much of anything?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
There's no question that Mijares is the more technically gifted, but has anyone ever been able to really test his chin? I know he has three losses, but they were all a while back and on points. I didn't see the Munoz fight. I know he was supposed to have pressured him pretty well, but did he land much of anything?
Munoz landed some pretty good shots, especially in the early rounds and hes not feather-fisted. Mijares also is a master at slipping/blocking punches, and he'll see most of Vic's bombs coming. Expect Mijares to slip his punchers than counter him with fast combinations, it will be a beatdown.

G

·
Yeah, Munoz did apply pressure and land some good shots but they weren't really telling blows. I think against Kawashima when he was down and landing big shots on him proved that he can take a punch. Whether or not he can take flush shots from the harder hitting Vic remains to be seen. But I think this will be worse than the schooling he gave Arce.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yeah, Munoz did apply pressure and land some good shots. I think against Kawashima when he was down and landing big shots on him proved that he can take a punch. Whether or not he can take flush shots from the harder hitting Vic remains to be seen. But I think this will be worse than the schooling he gave Arce.
It will be. I don't think Vic can take the kind of pounding Arce did either, i think Mijares might stop him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts