Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruiserweight titlist Steve Cunningham's mandatory defense against ex-light heavyweight titlist Tomasz Adamek of Poland is due by Sept. 29, and Cunningham (21-1, 11 KOs) said he's eager for the fight even if he might not get it that soon. "I was ringside in Chicago for his second fight with Paul Briggs, and I know he can really fight," Cunningham said of Adamek (35-1, 24 KOs), who stopped former undisputed champion O'Neil Bell in an April eliminator. "He was the world champ at 17, and he really proved himself to me that night. He's my mandatory, and I want to fight him as soon as possible." However, Cunningham might not get what he wants. Promoter Don King, who had an acrimonious split with Adamek, might try to secure an exception to the mandatory and match Cunningham with former unified titleholder Jean-Marc Mormeck in Mormeck's native France. Mormeck was knocked out by Haye in his last fight, in November. If the fight happens, Cunningham would have to go overseas to fight for a fourth consecutive time. Source: Dan Rafael espn.com

Another potentially real good fight in the underrated crusierweight division. They're like in-shape heavyweights

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
If this one comes out its gonna be a great fight. Both man can punch, both are sound, its a very good match-up in my oppinion. I like both guys

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like both guys as well, but why the hell can't Don King get Cunningham a fight stateside?
Everyone Cunningham fights is a bigger attraction than him, and it's partly Don King's fault that he has almost no fanbase. Also his fights always go to the purse bid and the foreign promoter always wins.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bell is nuts he was never in that fight, Adamek always looks sharp, havent really seen a whole Cunningham fight so I'm not going to predict an outcome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts