Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, how hard does the average boxer hit?
I couldn't find any info on it on google or anything.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Everyone is diffrent so there is no difinitive answer to your question. :dunno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I'm kind of new to the sport. I had read some where that the average punch from a heavy weight boxer was 1800 pounds, but the guy who wrote it seamed to be unsure.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Sorry, I'm kind of new to the sport. I had read some where that the average punch from a heavy weight boxer was 1800 pounds, but the guy who wrote it seamed to be unsure.
That is not the case, there has never been any punch recorded at 1800psi.

Its been reported that Tyson hit at 1750psi.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I was watching sport science , they Bas Rutten on there he used to fight in the ufc his punch was reported at 1500 PSI. I would think most Heavyweights hit at least that hard , well i dont know with some of the heavyweights we have now.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I read somewhere that the average man hits at around 100PSI, but the men tested were most likely the nerds in the office, so lets add another 100 or so to that.

I don't really trust a lot of the PSI tests to be honest. It all depends on angle and stuff. The Tyson PSI is a myth, I read they offered him to take one back when he was champ around 1987 or 1988, but Bill Cayton said no because there was no money involved and didn't want to risk hurting Mike's hand.

Back in the mid 60's some people tested an older, out of shape, Rocky Marciano with his power. They found out that his right hand had more force behind it than an armor peircing bullet, and that it got spot lift 1000lbs 12 inches off of the ground.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I read somewhere that the average man hits at around 100PSI, but the men tested were most likely the nerds in the office, so lets add another 100 or so to that.

I don't really trust a lot of the PSI tests to be honest. It all depends on angle and stuff. The Tyson PSI is a myth, I read they offered him to take one back when he was champ around 1987 or 1988, but Bill Cayton said no because there was no money involved and didn't want to risk hurting Mike's hand.

Back in the mid 60's some people tested an older, out of shape, Rocky Marciano with his power. They found out that his right hand had more force behind it than an armor peircing bullet, and that it got spot lift 1000lbs 12 inches off of the ground.
I really think this is your favorite thing to say on here.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
200 psi is the average human jab without any leverage. 600 psi is the average straight right hand or straight left hand with maximum leverage. I actually tested this with a group of guys in highschool with a psi machine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.