Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Chris Lytle 13-1-1
boxer Chris Lytle

Hes actually said he is thinking about becoming a full time boxer cause of the money is much more in boxing and you can fight more often(well if you are in the UFC u fight like 2-5 a year tops)

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Glad to see their fighting nobodies...but props for them fighting in the best sport of all time.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Haha Bill should they be fighting some Champions or something, not many beginners like these guys have been fighting some geat prospects ir simething, but yeah glad too hear they box too.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Brutus said:
Haha Bill should they be fighting some Champions or something, not many beginners like these guys have been fighting some geat prospects ir simething, but yeah glad too hear they box too.
No, but if they are 17-1-0 or something, they should at least be fighting people around the same level, not bums. They are taking the Butterbean way out.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
anyone could go out turn pro and go 100-0 over a 10 year period, and i mean anyone, there guys in the pro ranks with 1-150 records, not just 1 0r 2 of them theres a lot of jabronis like this.

there was this english guy who used to come down our gym and his claim to fame was he was a "pro" boxer, he was a pro though i think he had 2-7 record or summin, theres this kid down the gym who's always been a bit special called david carmicheal (watch this space) and the "pro" was always on the kids back telling him to do things diffrent but it was quite obvious he knew jack shizz.

anyway, we got him and david into the ring this day for a few rounds together and its one of the funiest things ive ever seen in my life, the "pro" was getting hit with bolo punches and all the fancy shots you could name, he never got near young david who made him look like the idiot we knew he was.

i guess the point im getting at is any monkey can aquire a boxing license.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
TommyGunn said:
anyone could go out turn pro and go 100-0 over a 10 year period, and i mean anyone, there guys in the pro ranks with 1-150 records, not just 1 0r 2 of them theres a lot of jabronis like this.

there was this english guy who used to come down our gym and his claim to fame was he was a "pro" boxer, he was a pro though i think he had 2-7 record or summin, theres this kid down the gym who's always been a bit special called david carmicheal (watch this space) and the "pro" was always on the kids back telling him to do things diffrent but it was quite obvious he knew jack shizz.

anyway, we got him and david into the ring this day for a few rounds together and its one of the funiest things ive ever seen in my life, the "pro" was getting hit with bolo punches and all the fancy shots you could name, he never got near young david who made him look like the idiot we knew he was.

Tommys back!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this Bill and Tommy turning this thread into a Boxing vs MMA thread? No... that would NEVER happen...

I thought it was interesting info to see whom is getting in there and tightening up their boxing game. There is no need to go comparing these guys to Mayweather or anything.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
JohnnySparta said:
Is this Bill and Tommy turning this thread into a Boxing vs MMA thread? No... that would NEVER happen...

I thought it was interesting info to see whom is getting in there and tightening up their boxing game. There is no need to go comparing these guys to Mayweather or anything.
Welcome back Johnny, long time since iv seen you here. It is an interesting thread, i think there is going to be a major fight between an MMA fighter and boxer soon, with one crossing to the other discipline. That would make a lot of money, are there any major MMA fighters with boxing backgrounds?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
TommyGunn said:

LOL we have a "pro" in our gym that has a record of like 9-18-0. He says if you beat a contender its worth 5 wins, apparently he beat someone that was ranked in the top 200 and says its worth 5 wins.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I think 75% of all american mma fighters either have a amateur background in boxing or wrestling, the rest goes to ju jitsu, judo or just started training mma to begin with.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Actually very few MMA fighters know anything about boxing hence they're mostly **** strikers!

Most MMA fighters have either: wrestling, BJJ or kickboxing as their style.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I was watching some UFC the other day since nothing was on, and their boxing was terrible. They talk like they could be champ of the world, yet they were terrible. They traded punches with their chins up and eyes closed. Suicide in a boxing ring, or against a boxer period.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1) I'm not sure who you were watching.

2) Boxing in MMA will not look like boxing in Boxing. If you approached a MMA fighter with a Boxing stance looking to throw hands like you would in a Boxing Match then you open yourself up completely to so many different things. Your legs for Muay Thai, your legs for Wrestling or Jiu-Jitsu, your upper body for Judo, Greco, or Thai clinching, etc. Even your blocking is different as you don't have larger gloves to cover more area.

You simply cannot compare the two in that manner.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
JohnnySparta said:

2) Boxing in MMA will not look like boxing in Boxing. If you approached a MMA fighter with a Boxing stance looking to throw hands like you would in a Boxing Match then you open yourself up completely to so many different things. Your legs for Muay Thai, your legs for Wrestling or Jiu-Jitsu, your upper body for Judo, Greco, or Thai clinching, etc. Even your blocking is different as you don't have larger gloves to cover more area.

Excellent point Johnny.

Also, wheres the lack of respect coming from for boxers with poor records? The fact that they have the stones to keep getting in the ring knowing they are going to take a beating is proof enough for me. In fact, anyone who laces them up and gets in the ring should get some respect IMHO. These guys have families to feed too you know...

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
JohnnySparta said:

But, it would make it soooooooooooo much easier for a boxer to hit the MMA guy. 4 oz gloves, boxers usually use 8-10 ounce gloves, and are still very fast and accurate. With the 4 oz gloves it would do a ton of damage, and they would be a lot faster. Having bigger gloves works two ways. Its easier to block, but hard too hit.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're not listening. My point is regarding the differences between using boxing in MMA and using boxing in Boxing. All you just did was confirm that things are different because of the glove size.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
JohnnySparta said:
You're not listening. My point is regarding the differences between using boxing in MMA and using boxing in Boxing. All you just did was confirm that things are different because of the glove size.
No, I am reading. A lot of times if I agree or a good point is made, I will only adress the things I feek the need to respond to. Thats what I did here.

·
Registered
468 Posts
JohnnySparta said:

But unless someone has reached the level of black belt in jui jitsu they'd be completely unprepared to deal with a south paw, there throws would be off balance and everything.

I did jui jitsu for a short period as I'm looking to get into MMA while boxing as well, during a grading we were all going forward and throwing punches so the lad could throw us I went forwards stood in southpaw position and he had no idea what to do I was told that wasn't allowed! wtf you gonna do in a real fight against a leftie then!

But you're right they are 2 completely different sports and there's no reason why someone can't like/do both.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts