Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everybody, I'm new at this forum. Has anybody heard of these fighters from the 40's and 50's? I'm looking for old films of my father-Charley(Zivic)Affif, who fought all these guys, and others like Herbie Kronowitz, Sonny Horne, Sammy Adragna, Freddie Archer, Oneill Bell. Anybody know if Teddy Brenner or Lew Burston or Jersey Jones are still around. I'm trying to get in touch with any of these guys that might have films of any of my dad's fights, since I've never seen any at all. I've heard that Rossano and Kronowitz are still alive and in the NYC area. Anybody know? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TommyGunn, I'll do that. As luck would have it, right after I posted the thread I found a phone number for Teddy Brenner's son and will contact him too. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SugarShane, No, I'm Charley Affif's son. My dad fought out of the Pittsburgh Lyceum and was owned and managed by Fritzie for the first couple years. He fought under the name Charley Young Zivic for a couple years and then later as Charley Affif. My dad was ranked in the top ten and came close to fighting Jake LaMotta for the belt, but was kayoed by Dauthuille in the 9th.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
SugarShane, No, I'm Charley Affif's son. My dad fought out of the Pittsburgh Lyceum and was owned and managed by Fritzie for the first couple years. He fought under the name Charley Young Zivic for a couple years and then later as Charley Affif. My dad was ranked in the top ten and came close to fighting Jake LaMotta for the belt, but was kayoed by Dauthuille in the 9th.
That is very interesting. Is that your dad in your avatar picture? Welcome to the forum, and I hope you stick around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's him. Most fight fans have never heard of him, but I think what made his career remarkable is he had a plate in his right arm form a bad childhood accident and only about six inches of movement in his right arm, which of course kept him fighting on the inside, alot of hooks and uppercuts, and not much of a ko artist without that contrary follow-up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts