Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised Tommy I'd post my Top Ten fighters,so you guys couold go ahead and pick away at my list....I'm sure I'll get Flamed for no Ali :laugh:

1.Sugar Ray Robinson
2.Harry Greb
3.Roberto Duran(as a LW)
4.Henry Armstong
5.Willie Pep
6.Joe Louis
7.Benny Leonard
8.Sugar Ray Leonard
9.Ezzard Charles
10.Salvador Sanchez(oh how great he was on his way to becoming,dying at just 25).

Okay,guys,dive right and ridicule me :)
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Dave Murphy said:
Okay, guys, dive right in and ridicule me.
Hey Dave, when it comes to things like this. I tend to believe that many peoples choices are going to be personal and biased.

Any one's guess is as good as any one's else's I think.

Interesting also how when people take closer looks at different fighters over time. They tend to change their picks a little, or maybe even a lot, and the order of how they may rate them too.

JC
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Dave Murphy said:
I promised Tommy I'd post my Top Ten fighters,so you guys couold go ahead and pick away at my list....I'm sure I'll get Flamed for no Ali :laugh:

1.Sugar Ray Robinson
2.Harry Greb
3.Roberto Duran(as a LW)
4.Henry Armstong
5.Willie Pep
6.Joe Louis
7.Benny Leonard
8.Sugar Ray Leonard
9.Ezzard Charles
10.Salvador Sanchez(oh how great he was on his way to becoming,dying at just 25).

Okay,guys,dive right and ridicule me :)
Dave
Here is my list: (P4P) 1. Willie Pep
2. Sugar Ray Robinson
3. Sugar Ray Leonard
4. Roberto Duran
5. Rocky Marciano
6. Henry Armstrong
7. Alexis Arguello
8. Jake LaMaotta
9. Carmen Basilio
10. Carlos Monzon
Special mention: Salvador Sanchez, Pernell Whitaker, Ad Wolgast, Marvin Hagler, and Ezzard Charles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
RoccoMarciano said:
Where is Rocky? :mad:
I guess the fact that nobody beat him, and that he knocked just about every body out isn't good enough for some people. :dunno:

JCC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
I see that Roberto Duran is rated very high by some of you guys. A book just came out called "Hands of Stone" The Life and Legend of Roberto Duran. The author, Christian Giudice was at the meeting of the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame tonight that I ran.

We bought over a dozen books from him.

I rate Duran as the Greatest Lightweight Ever!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
daveDaboxingfan said:
if a fighter goes 89-0 would he be or should he be put before your R marciano.
The only outstanding competitor in the weight classes these days, other than Hopkins, is Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Many consider Mayweather to be the best peformer pound-for-pound of any boxer on the scene today. However, Mayweather is another product of those modern-day watered-down boxing organizations and weight-classes, and cannot come close to challenging such greats Sugar Ray Robinson and Willie Pep.

Todays heavyweights who are now calling themselves champions creations of shrewd promoters, foremost of which is the shady manipulator Don King, and they wear an assortment of belts that have been established for the purpose of making money than developing talented fighters. They are an ungainly bunch of misfits with barely recogizable names. None of them would have stood a chance against the legends.

As for your mention of Rocky Marciano, he was the genuine article.

If Marciano was still around and in his prime today. He would put all those guys away. Size means nothing. He would just wear them all down, and knock them out. He could line up all those so-called heavyweight champs of today, and one right after another, take them all out a day apart.

JCC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,348 Posts
Dave Murphy said:
I promised Tommy I'd post my Top Ten fighters,so you guys couold go ahead and pick away at my list....I'm sure I'll get Flamed for no Ali :laugh:

1.Sugar Ray Robinson
2.Harry Greb
3.Roberto Duran(as a LW)
4.Henry Armstong
5.Willie Pep
6.Joe Louis
7.Benny Leonard
8.Sugar Ray Leonard
9.Ezzard Charles
10.Salvador Sanchez(oh how great he was on his way to becoming,dying at just 25).

Okay,guys,dive right and ridicule me :)
Dave

Good list Dude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
my all time top ten.

1. ray robinson
2.muhammad ali
3.joe louis
4.rocky marciano
5.willie pep
6.marvin hagler
7.carlos monzon
8.jack dempsey
9.?
10.?

i couldnt think of a 9 and 10. maybe a pound for pound fighter. RJJ or SRL or roberto Duran
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
tyson said:
my all time top ten.

1. ray robinson
2.muhammad ali
3.joe louis
4.rocky marciano
5.willie pep
6.marvin hagler
7.carlos monzon
8.jack dempsey
9.?
10.?

i couldnt think of a 9 and 10. maybe a pound for pound fighter. RJJ or SRL or roberto Duran
Ali and Louis aren't really good P4P fighters though, because they used their reach a lot.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Ali and Louis aren't really good P4P fighters though, because they used their reach a lot.
ali had every punch in the book and would throw from angles nobody had ever seen.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
ali had every punch in the book and would throw from angles nobody had ever seen.
Ali didn't throw many uppercuts;) Ali didn't punch at the weird angles Michael Spinks did. Also he used his long reach to keep his oppenents away, that does you no good P4P because they will have the same reach as you and they can get inside pretty easy. The only person Ali went into the ring against that had a longer reach was Liston, and those fights were rigged Liston even admitted that later on.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Ali didn't throw many uppercuts;) Ali didn't punch at the weird angles Michael Spinks did. Also he used his long reach to keep his oppenents away, that does you no good P4P because they will have the same reach as you and they can get inside pretty easy. The only person Ali went into the ring against that had a longer reach was Liston, and those fights were rigged Liston even admitted that later on.
bs. a p4p fighter can fight any way, by using power, speed, hight, reach or like our own floyd mayweather run.

by the way ali didn't "reach" against foreman in zaire and won the fight and he brawled with frazier in maillia and got the win.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
bs. a p4p fighter can fight any way, by using power, speed, hight, reach or like our own floyd mayweather run.

by the way ali didn't "reach" against foreman in zaire and won the fight and he brawled with frazier in maillia and got the win.......
Ali got Foreman tired and exhausted, then KO'd him (even though Foreman was up at 9). And at manilla Frazier wanted to go on but his corner wouldn't let him because he was having issues with blood pressure and he might get killed if he went out there seinging and being hit back like usual. Also P4P means everyone has the SAME EXACT stats like height, reach, weight, etc.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Ali got Foreman tired and exhausted, then KO'd him (even though Foreman was up at 9). And at manilla Frazier wanted to go on but his corner wouldn't let him because he was having issues with blood pressure and he might get killed if he went out there seinging and being hit back like usual. Also P4P means everyone has the SAME EXACT stats like height, reach, weight, etc.
yes so you see ali never used his reach all the time im glad you've changed your opinion on that.

by the way bill your hero holmes used his height and reach to utilize his jab. so does jermain taylor who is considered a p4p fighter.

a p4p fighter is not everybody being the same weight and size its the way a fighter dominates his division compared to the others.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
and if you watch ali beating clevland williams and ernie terell he didnt use his reach against these guys because they had a better reach and were bigger. he beat them with pure skill.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
and if you watch ali beating clevland williams and ernie terell he didnt use his reach against these guys because they had a better reach and were bigger. he beat them with pure skill.
That is 3 out of 61 fights. That means 5% of the time he fought someone with longer reach. Besides 95% of the time he used his reach and height. And using reach and height means you won't do very well P4P. Holmes, Lewis (Lennox), Louis, Ali, and Foreman, would not do very well in P4P.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
That is 3 out of 61 fights. That means 5% of the time he fought someone with longer reach. Besides 95% of the time he used his reach and height. And using reach and height means you won't do very well P4P. Holmes, Lewis (Lennox), Louis, Ali, and Foreman, would not do very well in P4P.
yeah bill; thats why ali's on most peoples lists. :rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
yeah bill; thats why ali's on most peoples lists. :rolleyes:
Because he used his longer reach and height to win people would put him on their P4P lists??? That makes NO sence.
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Top