Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Diaz, the WBC lightweight champion of the world from Chicago, will be providing a regular diary leading up to his title defense against Manny Pacquiao on June 28 in Las Vegas, exclusively on Chicago Sun-Times :: Sports ::.

I went to the finals of the Chicago Golden Gloves this past Thursday and Saturday. It’s great to go back and I always get nostalgic thinking about when I won the Gloves and how much it meant to me at a young age to win. I talked to some of the champions and could see how excited they were to be going on to the Nationals and they were just like me at that age. When I was in the Gloves it was rare to see a women’s bout, now there’s many more amateur women fighters and there were some terrific bouts involving them at the finals.
» Click to enlarge image
David Diaz

(Rich Hein/Sun-Times)

I realize now as I start preparation for the biggest fight of my career against one of the best fighters in the sport, Manny Pacquiao on June 28, how important the discipline instilled in me at a young age was. Now I know that all the years of hard work I put in at a young age was all worth it. It could be for these new young champions one day also.

I just started camp last week and for anyone reading this in the Philippines, we sparred twelve hard rounds today…just kidding. Starting a camp for a major fight is all about getting your body and mind fully prepared for the work involved throughout the camp.

For this fight, we’ll be in camp until about a week before the fight. We’re starting at the bottom now, maybe four rounds on the bags and a similar time spent on other things. I’ll continue to pace myself gradually increasing over time how much work I’ll do. The important thing is giving 100 percent each day to whatever I’m working on.

As I’m preparing for this fight sometimes I think about the stories I’ve heard from the 50’s and fights at the old Chicago Stadium. I’m very proud to represent Chicago, I’ve lived here my whole life and I’d be thrilled if we could consistently have big stadium shows like that here.

I’ll be checking in on a regular basis leading up to the fight. Thank you all for your continued support, it meant a lot to me when I was in the Gloves

·
Registered
589 Posts
Diaz is the bigger fighter. I see him going 12 and losing by UD in a pretty one-sided fight

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
haha, as soon as you made that comment, the lyrics were playing so it was only right to put them down.

Any of yall heard that Im only human song by rick ross yet? Its from his Trilla album.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts