Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Tua Agrees To Fight The Winner Of Arreola-Witherspoon Clash
by James Slater: It's been a long time coming, but it appears the big-punching David Tua will at last get back in the mix of things at or near the upper echelon of the heavyweight division later this year. According to an article in the New Zealand Sunday News, Tua has agreed to face the winner of the upcoming Chris "The Nightmare" Arreola and "Gentleman" Chazz Witherspoon bout - a clash of unbeaten big men that takes place on June 21st..

Tua will still go ahead with his planned July tune-up bout in Odessa, Ukraine, before tackling the Arreola-Witherspoon winner in either September of October. "The Tuaman's" July opponent is not yet known, but according to Sunday News a name will be announced within the next few weeks. So, finally, for the first time since his draw with Hasim "The Rock" Rahman in 2003, Tua will get it on with a formidable opponent.

Now aged 35, Tua has a record of 49-3-1(42) and remains one of the biggest names in the heavyweight division. Thanks to the crushing power that has seen him win a number of fights via the highlight reel KO, fans still get excited whenever Tua has an upcoming bout planned. However, in facing only trial horses and journey men since his rematch with Rahman, Tua has disappointed. Now at last he is scheduled to go in with a more than credible name. Whether it be Arreola or Witherspoon he winds up facing later this year, the 35 year old powerhouse will be engaging in a very intriguing fight - one that should tell us how much Tua has left.

If he can beat June's eventual winner (the June 21st bout is a decent enough match-up as it is, by the way), Tua will perhaps find himself in line for another crack at a world title - especially if he wins by a devastating, get people talking, KO. Quite surprisingly, considering how well known he is, Tua has only ever had one world title fight in his entire career. Losing on points to Lennox Lewis back in late 2000, Tua was something of a letdown. Now, however, should he recapture some of the form that saw him give us great fights against good opposition like Ike Ibeabuchi (one of the best heavyweight fights in recent years), John Ruiz and Michael Moorer (both spectacular 1st round KO's), Tua will find himself getting a second chance to become heavyweight champion.

It may not be too late for David Tua after all. Let's see who wins in June and then assess the Samoan slugger's chances of at last becoming the champion many expected him to become back in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its hard to say with the lack of competition in the heavy weight division
he has a good shot.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Tua's power always gives him a chance, he cant fight at the pace he once could though.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tua's power always gives him a chance, he cant fight at the pace he once could though.
True look at Peter fat out of shape relies on his power if he can hold a belt then Tua surely
could.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I am 100% certain Tua will knock either of those guys out. I saw both Witherspoon and Arreola on undercards and they both suck.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am 100% certain Tua will knock either of those guys out. I saw both Witherspoon and Arreola on undercards and they both suck.
I have'nt seen Arreola but i saw Witherspoon a few weeks ago and your right
he sucks big time.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I like Tua i think he can beat either of those fighters.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Tua like Tyosn a few years ago will be dangerous for 3 rounds against anyone, he cant last the pace like he once did now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I certainly think that its a positive innovation that we are seeing the meeting of two undfeated prospects in Chazz Witherspoon and Chris Arreola. The talent pool of the heavyweight picture in the west, is not as glum as some make it out to be, if only the proper matches were to be made. As it currently stands, there are several decent young hopfuls in the HW division that I would like to see tested at some point in the very near future.

As for David Tua, I applaud his efforts at getting back in the ring with a formidable opponent, but like so many other aging fighters trying to keep their careers alive, Tua has been padding his record by facing no names, and has not really shown us what he may or may not have left. I wish him the very best, but at the same time, I hope he doesn't manage to destroy a future talent in either Areola or Witherspoon, as we need new blood to emerge.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I certainly think that its a positive innovation that we are seeing the meeting of two undfeated prospects in Chazz Witherspoon and Chris Arreola. The talent pool of the heavyweight picture in the west, is not as glum as some make it out to be, if only the proper matches were to be made. As it currently stands, there are several decent young hopfuls in the HW division that I would like to see tested at some point in the very near future.

As for David Tua, I applaud his efforts at getting back in the ring with a formidable opponent, but like so many other aging fighters trying to keep their careers alive, Tua has been padding his record by facing no names, and has not really shown us what he may or may not have left. I wish him the very best, but at the same time, I hope he doesn't manage to destroy a future talent in either Areola or Witherspoon, as we need new blood to emerge.
Areola and Witherspoon both suck and Tua would destroy both of them.And i disagree the heavy weight
division is as bad as it seems even worse.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Areola and Witherspoon both suck and Tua would destroy both of them.And i disagree the heavy weight
division is as bad as it seems even worse.

Your disagreement is well noted. However, the current prospects that are available are all we have at this point, and its at least good to see that they are finally meeting one another. Witherspoon and Areola getting together is certainly better than the two of them continuing to face journeyman, especially considering that they are both around 23-0 and in their late 20's.

As for Tua beating both of them, well it's definately a possibility, but Tua's abilities at this point are unknown. We can't be certain as to what he still has left in his bag of tricks. I will credit him as still having a powerful punch and a solid chin, but anything beyond that is a mere question mark.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These so called prospects are undefeated for one reason,they have'nt fought anyone and when they get
together it will be one boring ass fight;)

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
As for Tua beating both of them, well it's definately a possibility, but Tua's abilities at this point are unknown. We can't be certain as to what he still has left in his bag of tricks. I will credit him as still having a powerful punch and a solid chin, but anything beyond that is a mere question mark.[/QUOTE]

your quite right my friend after a long lay off like that who knows what he's got left, I' curious to find out...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts