Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Dawson vs Calzaghe : who wins?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Should be a dominating decision victory for Calzaghe, no fighter around his weightclass can beat him imo.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I don't think Dawson will be dominated but a close decision for Calzaghe, very very tough fight though Dawson showed against Johnson he is one hell of a tough cookie and has the heart of a lion, also he showed he can outclass top quality opponents aswell by dominating tarver, I do think Dawson matches up with calzaghe favourably only thing he's missing is experience and thats what it ends up boiling down to, can calzaghe dominate him? no, Calzaghe wont be able to drop his hands low against Dawson whos got the power and speed to really shook calzaghe but unlike Roy he's got it for 12rounds, Calzaghe must fight the best fight of his career to beat this future atg in my opinion anyway

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Dawson will dominate Calzaghe. I wouldn't be shocked if he stopped him. Calzaghe has pretty much shown his jaw is weak at Light Heavyweight. Hopkins and Jones just didn't have the activity level to press the issue. Dawson has

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I say Dason due to his great handspeed that if not equals, is faster than Cal's. Plus he has the height and reach advantage; so Cal just can't jump in and expect to flail away with thos slaps/punches.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I'd be rooting for Dawson, but I'm not too confident in him beating Calslappy. Calslappy needs to just fight Hopkins again and retire. That's the only Calslappy fight that I'm really interested in right now.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Dawson...Calzaghe struggled in the first round against RJ. RJ showed handspeed and great counter punching ability. Dawson has that AND he's a southpaw AND he has the fountain of youth on his side. This might be the first time that the cards are TRULY lined up against Cal. Experience and stamina might be the only two things in Cal's favor. Because everything else goes with Dawson. Even youth and legs. We'll see...even though I don't think this fight will be avoided at all costs for whatever reasons...

G

·
I honestly think Calzaghe wins. While Dawson is a very good fighter, I still see things that he needs to work on before he can truly become one of boxing's elite. The biggest flaw in his game is that he takes a lot of shots. Glen Johnson and Antoio Tarver put leather on Dawson a lot and their not half as fast as Calzaghe. Calzaghe will be able to slip a lot of Dawson's punches and then fire those combinations that may not hurt Dawson but theyll impress the judges enough to win him enough rounds.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I don't quite think Dawson is ready yet, he'll be extremely competitive and make it a close fight but he'll lose a close decision IMO.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
I honestly think Calzaghe wins. While Dawson is a very good fighter, I still see things that he needs to work on before he can truly become one of boxing's elite. The biggest flaw in his game is that he takes a lot of shots. Glen Johnson and Antoio Tarver put leather on Dawson a lot and their not half as fast as Calzaghe. Calzaghe will be able to slip a lot of Dawson's punches and then fire those combinations that may not hurt Dawson but theyll impress the judges enough to win him enough rounds.
Dawson takes shots and fires back, that strategy for Calaghe of throwing a million punches isn't going to work here, sorry. Dawson is not the 1 dimensional fighter Kessler is, and his combinations / speed is far above RJJ and B-Hop. Calzaghe is also punching up for the first time to hit this guy, and his south paw advantage is now null. Calzaghe is in waters he's never been in.

G

·
Dawson takes shots and fires back, that strategy for Calaghe of throwing a million punches isn't going to work here, sorry. Dawson is not the 1 dimensional fighter Kessler is, and his combinations / speed is far above RJJ and B-Hop. Calzaghe is also punching up for the first time to hit this guy, and his south paw advantage is now null. Calzaghe is in waters he's never been in.
You can't dismiss the fact that Dawson's defense needs improvement. I'm not saying those barrages of punches are going to hurt Dawson, they almost definately won't. I would also say that while you say that Calzaghe is in waters he's never been in, it's 5 fold for Dawson.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
calzaghe but just. i love dawson and think he has talent. when i was on boxingscene last year dawson was new and iceman scully or whatever said he will be the next big thing. dawson has the things i like in a boxer. i think the expereince of calzaghe will be enough. both will be each others toughest fight to win imo. tougher than hopkins vs calzaghe and johnson vs dawson.

·
Registered
772 Posts
and dawson isn't?

calzaghe wins, he throws more punches, wins more rounds, has more experience and lets be honest... dawson should've lost the fight to glen johnson, hows he going to take calzaghes pressure when he struggled massively with johnsons? :laugh:

some people make me laugh.

besides chad will probably be too stoned to react to the punches calzaghe throws.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Calzaghe would beat Chads lil' ass. Same thing he did to Jeff Lacy.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts