Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found a good article about a possible comeback of de la hoya next yr.

In a recent interview with Jim Jenkins, published in the Sacramento Bee, Oscar De La Hoya, who's company is promoting Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Ricky Hatton on Dec. 8, confirmed that he himself would like to fight twice in 2008. De La Hoya was asked by Jenkins if his plans for 2008 included a rematch against Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

In regards to fighting twice in '08, speaking by phone from Los Angeles, De La Hoya told the publication: "I would like
to fight twice next year, in May and September, opponents to be decided."

Jenkins then probed De La Hoya, asking him if his plans would include a rematch with Mayweather? That question got laughter out of De La Hoya.

In regards to a possible rematch with Mayweather Jr., De la Hoya rated the chance as basically slim, stating: "The only way it would happen is if they let us fight in a phone booth," referencing to Mayweather's hit-and-run tactics.

De La Hoya is also considering going back to welterweight, the same division Mayweather Jr is in. De la Hoya feels the change in weight divisions would better suit him.

"I think welterweight would better suit my style," said De La Hoya, adding: "You have opponents who are bangers, fighters who stay in front of you. I want to leave this sport with fights that people will remember for a long time. It will be interesting to see who is on top in December."

Who do you guys think de la hoya could be targeting ?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
he'll prob fight cotto in may, that'll be huge, possibly hatton in september.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thepowerdavies said:
If Oscar is coming back to 147 to find bangers who stay infront of you, he will certainly find that in Cotto and Hatton.
im a huge oscar fan but his best days are behind him but cotto and hatton would make 2 super fights :) Think he would pick cotto apart but Hatton sounds a very though fight at this point of hoyas career.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thepowerdavies said:
Maybe not at his best but IMO he can still live with and beat most at 147, boxings best current weight. Had he stayed active in the last three years he would be on top IMO.
yhh tell you what could be a posibility. Mosley and Hoya at welter for there 3rd meeting. :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thepowerdavies said:
If it were 1-1 like it should be then yeah id go for it but been as its 2-0 Shane the Trilogy doesnt have much of an appeal.
I can see what you mean but although shane got both wins i think because of how good the fights where and oscar deserved the 2nd fight it is a posibility. Both welter, both a little past it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts