Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester.

Earlier this year, Oscar De La Hoya said that he would fight three times in 2008 and then retire from the sport to fully focus on his successful company, Golden Boy Promotions. He returns next week in Carson, California to face Steve Forbes, and if successful he will rematch Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September. If he gets by Mayweather, he says that a December fight with WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto is the one he wants to end his career.

In the past De La Hoya claimed to have made a promise to his wife (a popular Puerto Rican singer) that he would never fight another Puerto Rican fighter again. Something, possibly the money involved in such a fight, has changed his mind.

"If I beat Mayweather, who is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, my following fight has to be with one of the best and it's no secret that Miguel Cotto is one of the best in the world," De La Hoya said. "He has a difficult fight with Antonio Margarito (July 26) and although any thing can happen, we all know that Miguel Cotto is going to win.

De La Hoya ruled out a possible rematch with Felix Trinidad because the Puerto Rican fighter because the weight difference is too much. Trinidad is currently campaigning at light heavyweight. He says a fight with Cotto is not necessary, but he can’t face an easy opponent in the last fight of his career.

"I don't need to fight Cotto, but obviously my last fight cannot be against an easy opponent. It's going to be against one of the best and after Mayweather, the next one is Cotto, who is a boxer that always wants to fight the best in the world," De La Hoya said.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
So many fights, so little time. At least for these older fighters who want a crack at the young guns. It’s almost getting ridiculous. When they lose they have the greatest excuse in the world. "I'm just old, but back in my prime I could have beaten him". Just get on with your life DLH after Floyd takes care of you again.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Why would he make a stupid promise like that for, to whom ever, is he implying that he doesn't want to hurt puerto rican fighters, it just seems to me plain stupid arrogant,and insulting.
I hope he does catch mayweather off his game ( but he won't) and fights Cotto who would then proceed to wipe the floor with this golden jerk.
If Cotto get's past Margarito which he should on a hard fought tough bout, he'll prove that he is more than ready to give him a severe ass wooping the type Delahoya gave Julio Cezar Chavez....he'll make him remember his prime allright

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Oscar wants Cotto if he beats Floyd but what happens if (when) he loses? Is he gonna fight Hatton?
i'd imagine he'd still fight cotto so long as floyd doesn't beat him too convincingly.

Why on earth would Cotto want to fight DLH? Even if he does beat Floyd which isnt happening? This is a non-story IMO.
the same reason everyone else would jump at the chance to fight him.........money. floyd is not the only fighter who fights for money people.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Why on earth would Cotto want to fight DLH? Even if he does beat Floyd which isnt happening? This is a non-story IMO.
THINKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Oscar would have to beat Floyd for this to even be considered. This is a total non-story.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
ALL fighteres fight for money. Its their job. But Cotto doesnt care as much as others, he just likes to fight, the money is just a bonus.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yup all fighters do, heck Ivan Calderon would problaby jump on a chance to fight him. Cotto would problaby prefer a fight with DLH than Mayweather.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ALL fighteres fight for money. Its their job. But Cotto doesnt care as much as others, he just likes to fight, the money is just a bonus.

I agree 100%.

If Cotto cared more about money he'd be having more of a say in who he faces.

Cotto has stated it doesn't matter who they put infront, there still getting knocked down.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
I agree 100%.

If Cotto cared more about money he'd be having more of a say in who he faces.

Cotto has stated it doesn't matter who they put infront, there still getting knocked down.
he just didn't include "as long as my money's right"

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
he just didn't include "as long as my money's right"
He has no control over the money side of things, Arum takes care of business and Cotto takes care of the opponents.

1 - 20 of 267 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.