Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oscar De La Hoya in his own words, why he won't fight Miguel Cotto - If he keeps his Promise

There is a lot of talk these days of a possible clash between Oscar De La Hoya and Miguel Cotto. De La Hoya through the media has made his intentions known that he is looking to fight Miguel Cotto should the Puerto Rican fighter get by Antonio Margarito on this upcoming July 26. Personally, I don't think the fight is going to happen... not because I don't think Cotto can beat Margarito, but because of a promise De La Hoya made public last year (and we reported here on Doghouse Boxing) that he would not fight any Puerto Rican fighter. De La Hoya made that promise to his wife.

Speaking to ESPN late last summer, De La Hoya was quoted by the publication in regards to fighting Cotto: "I promised my wife I wouldn't fight any Puerto Ricans," stated De La Hoya

De La Hoya went on to tell ESPN's Dan Rafael: "So, I don't think so. The fight would be great. We would stand toe-to-toe. But I can't do it. It's not because I would be afraid of Cotto or not want to fight."

"I think it's out of respect for Millie. I've had these fights and she's been supportive even though she has wanted me to retire. It's my turn to give a little something back."

De La Hoya added: "She sincerely asked me not to fight Puerto Rican fighters. So I have to respect that."

G

·
I'm sorry Oscar but that's the biggest load of shiit I've heard. His wife is calling the shots for him? Pathetic.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
What a bunch of crap, I knew he wouldn't have the balls to fight Cotto, and this is how he shows respect towards us, by handing us this bullshit line, is that the best he could come up with, I would have preffered he went running and broke his ankle or something, but my wife made me promised is ridiculous and pathetic, Just like with fabrication of the snapshots in drag, it was him and he paid that chick good money to retrac that story, To me DLH has become a caricature of his former self and is no longer about fighting the best but arrainging was best for him, he simply doesn't want Cotto to mess up some more that mug of his, I simply will boycott any goodbye fight of his if is not a worthy opponent.....

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I don't think Oscar is afraid of anybody. Look at his resume he fought ATG's. I do think it would be an awkard situation for his wife and her family if Oscar fought Cotto or another puerto rican fighter. Not to mention he has a training camp and a house in puerto rico. His wife's family and their friends would probably root against him. That would be fucked up.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I don't think Oscar is afraid of anybody. Look at his resume he fought ATG's. I do think it would be an awkard situation for his wife and her family if Oscar fought Cotto or another puerto rican fighter. Not to mention he has a training camp and a house in puerto rico. His wife's family and their friends would probably root against him. That would be fucked up.
Oscar is not what he use to be, he knows this, as far as it being awkward "MONEY has a way to wash all that awkardness away, in a way you just made me realize something, women are Oscars aquilies heel, he moved over there cause of the wife, he said he won't fight a PR cause of the wife, he got into that drag outfit cause a chick told him to, this guy has no backbone when it comes to women....He's probably the only mexican living in puerto rico

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I agree with this :thumbsup:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just wait and see. :)
:laugh: it wouldn't surprise me one little bit.

but thank god oscar isn't fighting cotto, cotto would have seriously hurt oscar, i mean literally murdered him in the ring, oscar wouldn't be able to deal with a cotto onslaught nowadays, he's viscous in the ring and oscar is well passed it now. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
707 Posts
You guys are something else. When Oscar backs out of a potential fight with Cotto every hard **** in the place is calling him a pussy but when Fraud ducked Cotto for the last two years not a word from most of you!!!
and for the record I think he is smart not to take the fight Cotto is in his prime and very strong while D.L.H is on the back side in a big way. that was a loosing proposition.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
You guys are something else. When Oscar backs out of a potential fight with Cotto every hard **** in the place is calling him a pussy but when Fraud ducked Cotto for the last two years not a word from most of you!!!
and for the record I think he is smart not to take the fight Cotto is in his prime and very strong while D.L.H is on the back side in a big way. that was a loosing proposition.
I think hes a pussy all the time to I guess your talking to the others.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Who is calling DLH a pussy? "Floyd ducked Cotto for 2 years." :laugh: Yeah, Floyd should have fought Cotto while Cotto was at 140! Cotto hasn't even been at 147 for two years. Typical hater talk. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Oscar would still fight Cotto given he wins against Margarito. The stuff about him not fighting Puerto Ricans to appease his wife is really old news. I believed that to mean that he wouldn't fight one unless a really lucrative option was out there. It's a pretty logical fight for him to finish his career with. If he wins(huge if), it would be the stuff of legend and if he loses, he goes out with everyone knowing he always fought the best and his final fight would prove that. I don't believe for a second that Oscar would be afraid of Cotto. A guy that's been in as many mega fights as he as on such huge stages with the record he has has to have ice water in his veins.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I agree with allot of these guys on here these older guys need to move on or fight amoung themselves. let the young guys fight each other.

I wouldn't care if I ever saw Oscar,Vargas,Hopkins,Jones etc. fight again.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Oscar would still fight Cotto given he wins against Margarito. The stuff about him not fighting Puerto Ricans to appease his wife is really old news. I believed that to mean that he wouldn't fight one unless a really lucrative option was out there. It's a pretty logical fight for him to finish his career with. If he wins(huge if), it would be the stuff of legend and if he loses, he goes out with everyone knowing he always fought the best and his final fight would prove that. I don't believe for a second that Oscar would be afraid of Cotto. A guy that's been in as many mega fights as he as on such huge stages with the record he has has to have ice water in his veins.
I doudt it he knows his limitations and it would be the stuff of legents for him to finish his career with a man like Cotto but it seems that regardles how lucritable it may be he just doesn't what to risk another lost even if no one would fault him for trying, is the not even trying that gets to me specially for a guy thats fough serious competetion. He probably feels he owes it to himself to give himself an easy goodbye fight, that's why he try to entice Hatton and Paquiao

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
And another thing I don't think it was too smart on his part to make public the so called promise to his wife, what did he think, we were going to think " OH WHAT A LOYAL MAN HE IS " no now every body and their mother is stomping him for pussying out... he should have kept that private with his family...

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
What I was thinking. This is REALLY old news. And as for people calling him a pussy, he's fought Julio Cesar Chavez, Pernell Whitaker, Ike Quartey, Felix Trinidad, Shane Mosley, Arturo Gatti, Fernando Vargas, Bernard Hopkins, Ricardo Mayorga and Floyd Mayweather. That's a lot of big names. And a lot of big fighters. And he's fought them all in just 43 fights. And fighting Cotto would risk a lot, but it looks like he could do that as well. Still not enough for some haters though :thumbsdown: :(

1 - 20 of 53 Posts