Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 18.8%
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don King confirmed yesterday that conversations have been taking place with Oscar de la Hoya's company in order to make the long waited rematch between Tito and Oscar.

King even offered a date, december 6. Ramiro Gonzalez, director of Golden Boy Promotions, confirmed that there has been some negotiation, but said there is no deal yet.

It's the first time, since 1999, that formal conversations take place to make the rematch.

"This fight should have taken place 10 years ago. HBO told me that they are going to promote it as a 10 year feud. Oscar lost the first fight and acussed everybody of having stolen it from him. Now he wants to redeem himself and Tito will fight for the pride and honor of Puerto Rico", said king yesterday to El Nuevo Dia.

There were conversations between King and Richard Shaefer, top executive of Golden Boy Promotions.

King said that everybody agreed that this fight should be made.

"Richad said he wants those guys together on a ring. Trinidad Sr. said he wants the fight and Oscar wants to kick Tito's ass" said King. "We have the reasons for a fight".

Felix Trinidad Rodriguez, Tito's father and trainer, said he wrote to King to indicate that the only weight that his son would take this fight is 165 and that they would need 6 months to prepare.

"It's not obstinacy. Tito fought Roy Jones at 170 pounds and had to get two times on the scale", said refering to the January 19 fight.

"I hope that this fight is as we hoped the first fight would be. The first fight didn't fill expectations and I hope the second one does", he added.

De la Hoya hasn't fought in a weight class close to 165 since 2004 when he won a decision over Felix Sturm.

Gonzalez didn't say what was De la Hoya's position on a posible fight with Trinidad. He said that if a deal is not made, "He has other options".

"A week ago I heard him say that he's waiting for the Cotto-Margarito winner".

elnuevodia.com -translated by me

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
If Oscar fights Tito I'll believe him that he's going to retire afterwards. I knew that if he was serious he'd find an easy opponent.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If Oscar fights Tito I'll believe him that he's going to retire afterwards. I knew that if he was serious he'd find an easy opponent.
As much as I hate to admit it Tito is done. He shouldnt be fighting anymore.. still I give him a chance if he touches Oscar at any time of the fight. Oscar should win.

·
Registered
707 Posts
this fight won't happen the is no way Oscar take the 50% 50% split with a has been like Tito let alone fight at #165 that's crazy he would be giving up 10 plus pounds.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
"This fight should have taken place 10 years ago. HBO told me that they are going to promote it as a 10 year feud. Oscar lost the first fight and acussed everybody of having stolen it from him. Now he wants to redeem himself and Tito will fight for the pride and honor of Puerto Rico", said king yesterday to El Nuevo Dia.
If this fight took place ten years ago, it would have been the first case of a rematch predating a first meeting between two fighters.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
imo oscar needs to beat tito as revenge. i always felt that BUT

if he aint fighting cotto because he is peuarto rican then a tito fight would be bullshit.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
What the hell happen to the promise DLH made to his wife about not fighting anymore PR fighters?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I wish Oscar would just retire and take Tito with him. They are not the fighters they once were just making money off there names.

Tito will lose as he is a semi-retired, faded fighter. Tito beat Oscar in his prime and that's all that counts historically not these joke fights for the American armchair fan.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I wish Oscar would just retire and take Tito with him. They are not the fighters they once were just making money off there names.

Tito will lose as he is a semi-retired, faded fighter. Tito beat Oscar in his prime and that's all that counts historically not these joke fights for the American armchair fan.
But most boxing fans know and accept that DLH should have got the decision :thumbsup:

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
You guys are correct. Still amazes me how he dominated him for 2/3 of the fight and lost!:dunno:
Yep, I can't see how anyone can say Tito won 7 out of 12 rounds. No way he won the majority of rounds. No way. Robbery. Luckily Bernard was around to school Tito a couple of years later :laugh: LOL just kidding, I like Oscar and Tito, but Oscar clearly won the fight :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Yep, I can't see how anyone can say Tito won 7 out of 12 rounds. No way he won the majority of rounds. No way. Robbery. Luckily Bernard was around to school Tito a couple of years later :laugh: LOL just kidding, I like Oscar and Tito, but Oscar clearly won the fight :thumbsup:
He gave him one hell of a boxing lesson. He stopped both guys yet some people still don't think he's a legend.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
DLH can still give any fighter in the world a helluva fight! Hes not the fighter he used to be but hes still very dangerous and i was hoping to see him fight Cotto as his last fight.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts