Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

De La Hoya vs Margarito : who wins?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oscar talked about fighting Pacquiao but a fight against fellow mexican (although Oscar is mexican american) might generate enough money and interest for him to choose Margarito as his next opponent. It would obviously be the harder fight but it would do more fo his legacy and that seems to have been his main concern throughout his career.
So who do you think will win and how if they fight?

Power : DLH
Chin : toss up
Speed : DLH
Skills : DLH
Stamina : Margarito
Workrate : Margarito
Accuracy : DLH
Defense : DLH

PS: No Margarito hate. He's the best welter right now hands down.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Margarito just beat an active guy who was primed for greatness, DLH struggled a little bit against an inative shorrter opponent, the logic saids that margarito would pulverize him, and it just may be accurate. I think DLh should do it for moral reasons, win or lose he'll go out like a man who took the challenge, even when the odds were quite unfavorable, I like to see it happen.... I think he's put himself in this position and now has no way out anything else and his legacy will defenetly be tarnished as the old lion who ducked the young lion on top

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I won't count Oscar out, but judging from how he dealt with Forbes, I can't see him being able to handle the always oncoming and aggressive Margarito. I know that Oscar would like the fact that he won't have to chase him, but I don't know that he has the stamina to use his boxing skills and win a decision or the power to hurt Margarito, especially since Cotto couldn't seem to do it.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
At 154 I think De la Hoya wins, mainly because I'm a big De la Hoya fan. At 150 I think Margarito takes it.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
At 154 I think De la Hoya wins, mainly because I'm a big De la Hoya fan. At 150 I think Margarito takes it.
Yeah, I didn't factor in the weight. If it's at 154, it could be very advantageous for De La Hoya. At 147, though, it's Margarito's neighborhood.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think DLH will grind out a win on UD but i hope it is as entertaining as the Cotto fight.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Just about everyone thought Cotto would rip right through Margarito and then beat De La Hoya in a hypothetical matchup. Now that Margarito has bested Cotto, it would surprise me to hear that any of those same people would pick Oscar over Tony.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Power : DLH
Chin : toss up
Speed : DLH
Skills : DLH
Stamina : Margarito
Workrate : Margarito
Accuracy : DLH
Defense : DLH
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
83 Posts
First off kudos to Antonio Margarito for a job well done, he walked through some heavy shots and grinded out a victory over a guy I thought would win the fight by decision or late stoppage.

Now on to a prediction of DLH vs. Margarito.

I liken Margo to a guy the whole World was crazy about circa 2001-2003, he is limited in ability, a tad wide with punches and has a chin that seemed impervious to damage at 147lbs.= Ricardo Mayorga.
Both guys looked to be destroyers at times and at other times looked completely ordinary.
Mayorga had the huge punch which Margo lacks, Margo has an intense workrate that is second to none which Mayorga lacks, but in terms of size, strength, stamina and heart they are close.
IMO if a fight between DLH and Margo gets done, I can see the Golden boy doing a very similar type of job on Antonio that he and Tito both did to the then seemingly indestructible Mayorga. But I believe it will take a tad bit longer to dispatch of Margo.

DLH KO9 Margarito in a real barnburner.

Oscar is bigger, faster and stronger than was Cotto, plus he is a gifted boxer and a little more natural with his movement than the 5'7" Cotto. Oscar doesn't have to manufacture lateral movement, whereas I believe Miguel does.(In other words: sticking and moving is not MC's forte, and with DLH it is 2nd nature)On top of that he is a harder puncher and overall a better fighter, and lets be honest if Cotto was a tad bit bigger and stronger and knew how to clinch occasionaly he may have won a decision last night, but hell I would love to see Oscar fight Margo.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
First off kudos to Antonio Margarito for a job well done, he walked through some heavy shots and grinded out a victory over a guy I thought would win the fight by decision or late stoppage.

I liken Margo to a guy the whole World was crazy about circa 2001-2003, he is limited in ability, a tad wide with punches and has a chin that seemed impervious to damage at 147lbs.= Ricardo Mayorga.
Both guys looked to be destroyers at times and at other times looked completely ordinary.
Mayorga had the huge punch which Margo lacks, Margo has an intense workrate that is second to none which Mayorga lacks, but in terms of size, strength, stamina and heart they are close.
IMO if a fight between DLH and Margo gets done, I can see the Golden boy doing a very similar type of job on Antonio that he and Tito both did to the then seemingly indestructible Mayorga. But I believe it will take a tad bit longer to dispatch of Margo.

Oscar is bigger, faster and stronger than was Cotto, plus he is a gifted boxer and a little more natural with his movement than the 5'7" Cotto. Oscar doesn't have to manufacture lateral movement, whereas I believe Miguel does.(In other words: sticking and moving is not MC's forte, and with DLH it is 2nd nature)On top of that he is a harder puncher and overall a better fighter, and lets be honest if Cotto was a tad bit bigger and stronger and knew how to clinch occasionaly he may have won a decision last night, but hell I would love to see Oscar fight Margo.
Great post.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
What's so funny? Give me a proof Margarito has a better chin and we can talk.

I agree with everything. Styles make fights though and Cotto would have beaten Oscar on points IMO.
Oscar has been hit by bigger punchers than Margarito and if his midsection can sustain Tony's body blows he would not get stopped. Margarito could win a decision with his workrate but Oscar love guys that stand in front of him ala Mayorga. That's when he can use his power. I think he has a shot at stopping Margarito.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
If DLH shows up in great shape with great stamina, he can beat Margarito with ease, his footwork and boxing skills are superb. Also, he rarely fights in the ropes. But if he doesnt come up in great condition, or if he is just old to keep the pace, Margarito might outlast him.

G

·
I'd go with Margarito if it was at 147. Oscar has a much better chance at 154 and Margarito didn't perform against Santos in his last fight at that weight.

It's a tough fight to call but I think Margarito's stamina would be the defining factor.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I'd go with Margarito if it was at 147. Oscar has a much better chance at 154 and Margarito didn't perform against Santos in his last fight at that weight.

It's a tough fight to call but I think Margarito's stamina would be the defining factor.
I dont think Oscar can make 147 anymore, so 154 would be the logical weight, maybe a catchweight.

G

·
I dont think Oscar can make 147 anymore, so 154 would be the logical weight, maybe a catchweight.
That's true, 150 would be OK. Margarito gives Oscar an extra advantage by fighting at 154. If it's at a catchweight I'll still go for Margarito by UD/SD. Nobody's getting knocked out IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's true, 150 would be OK. Margarito gives Oscar an extra advantage by fighting at 154. If it's at a catchweight I'll still go for Margarito by UD/SD. Nobody's getting knocked out IMO.
I agree, there's no way a KO is coming in a DLH/Margarito fight. What gives Margarito trouble is movement and long arms, a la Paul Williams. What hurt Miguel Cotto was that he tried to use movement and outbox Margarito but he just has short arms and is a tad smaller. DLH, on the other hand, is an experienced outside fighter and excellent movement and counter-punching ability. I would except the Oscar might lose a close decision because of work-rates, but there won't be any domination in the later rounds like the Cotto fight.

Incidentally I think Cotto shouldn't have tried to use so much movement against AM, he should have sat down on some of his shots and tried to back AM up.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts