Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months, there have been rumors of a possible dream fight between Oscar De La Hoya and Manny Pacquiao. Pacquiao, who is planning a jump in weight to 135-pounds, would have to meet De La Hoya at 147, which is seven-pounds below his present weight class of 154.

Despite the big difference in weight, there is also a big difference in physical size. De La Hoya meets Steve Forbes on May 3 at a catch-weight of 150-pounds. Pacquiao returns on June 28 against WBC lightweight champion David Diaz. De La Hoya, should he get by Forbes, is scheduled for a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September.

During a recent interview with Nick Giongco of the Manila Bulletin, Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, said that Golden Boy Promotions was having problems with obtaining Mayweather's signature on the contract for the September rematch. Roach told the paper that if Mayweather falls through, Pacquiao may step in.

"I have been told that they (Golden Boy Promotions) are having a tough time getting (Floyd) Mayweather to sign for the rematch," Roach said. "Oscar wants Manny. Manny was about 145, 146 lbs the night he fought (Juan Manuel) Marquez."

While on a recent cruise yacht cruise in the Philippines, Pacquiao told Salven Lagumbay of the Philippine Daily Inquirer that he would ask for a number between $30 to $40 million for such a fight, and he would be willing to make it at the welterweight limit of 147.

“It will be a major task for me to fight De La Hoya. If we fight, I’ll ask between $30 million to $40 million for myself. I would look pitiful if Oscar bowls me over. I weigh around 146 when I am training hard and still eating. I can fight De La Hoya even at 147-pounds," Pacquiao said.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
You know how much money Mayweather will make on that fight? There is no way that fight falls through and I don’t see these two ever fighting IMO. Not sure if its even a fight I would really look forward to seeing. Well compared to others I should say.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id love to see the fight but first I want to see Pac fight at WW.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This fight would be pointless. Manny should retire at 140 (if he ever goes that far). Can't blame him for going after Mr big payday though. Given how much he's asking I'm pretty sure the fight will never happen.
Yea hes asking for a real arm and leg. But he made it a point to tell the world that it wouldnt be a mismatch because he trains at 147.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm pretty sure Oscar is around 160 when he trains before he dehydrates to 154 for the weigh-in. He hasn't fought at 147 for years.
His fight with Floyd will be at 147

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this remains to be scene. i wouldn't be surprised if they fight at the same catchweight dlh is fighting forbes at.

I wouldnt be surprised either but we talking about Mayweather here. He is going to want this the way he wants it and thats that.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
I wouldnt be surprised either but we talking about Mayweather here. He is going to want this the way he wants it and thats that.
floyd may want to have things his way but if it comes down to dlh not being able to make 147.....he'll cave and renegotiate the contracted weight. i can see dlh just upping floyd' purse a little to let the fight go forward.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
floyd may want to have things his way but if it comes down to dlh not being able to make 147.....he'll cave and renegotiate the contracted weight. i can see dlh just upping floyd' purse a little to let the fight go forward.
If Oscar fights at 150 against Forbes, he'll most likely move down to 147 against Floyd. The weight wouldn't be a big issue. Against Pac-Man it's another story though. No matter if Oscar moves down to 140, he'll be too big and strong for Pac.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
If Oscar fights at 150 against Forbes, he'll most likely move down to 147 against Floyd. The weight wouldn't be a big issue. Against Pac-Man it's another story though. No matter if Oscar moves down to 140, he'll be too big and strong for Pac.
i agree. like i said it would just mean more money for floyd.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can see how you came up with that. But if Oscar cant make 147 it might be Floyd that'll be out of the fight.

I agree 1000%. Thats the point of him fighting at 150. But against Pac he'll be at 147 too. Pac would be the one to move up in weight.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I can see how you came up with that. But if Oscar cant make 147 it might be Floyd that'll be out of the fight.

I agree 1000%. Thats the point of him fighting at 150. But against Pac he'll be at 147 too. Pac would be the one to move up in weight.
I can't see him fighting at a higher weight than 140. His official weight would be 140 but his weight on fight night would be 147. Just like welterweights are about 153/155 lb on fight night (besides Floyd).

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't see him fighting at a higher weight than 140. His official weight would be 140 but his weight on fight night would be 147. Just like welterweights are about 153/155 lb on fight night (besides Floyd).
If Floyd is a exception to that rule why cant Pac man be too???

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
This is a good fight by who's definition? guys that liked to see quality fighters step up into an impossible scenario and get clobbered at a weight they don't belong at? This is sofa king retawdead. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is a good fight by who's definition? guys that liked to see quality fighters step up into an impossible scenario and get clobbered at a weight they don't belong at? This is sofa king retawdead. :confused:
Thats true in some senerios but I heard that Floyd shouldnt be at WW and then I heard that he shouldnt be at 154 I also heard that SSM should be at 154 either and befor that he jumpped from 135 to 147 where he also wasnt supposed to be.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.