Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I've recently got back into boxing after a fairly long break.

I was just wondering if you guys had any tips for dealing with pressure when sparring?

I'm having trouble dealing with combinations etc what would be the best way of gaining control and being able to set my own pace again?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Work off a double jab, get in get out. The only way they can get off a combo is when you are stationary. Set up everything off of the jabs and attack from the angles.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Well..You need to pick up your speed and reflexes first of all. 2nd of all to keep someone off of you it would be smart to throw your jab. When someone is firing combinations at you don't be afraid to punch. You may stay in a defensive position waiting for him to stop punching. Either A) Punch back B) Side step and get out of there or C) Clinch. These are the main ways to keep the person off of you and to stop combinations from being thrown. Move around the ring a lot more also. And stay in the middle of the ring. One guy that i spar with that comes to my gym said I have good defense but for some reason i get hit less when i'm in the center of the ring rather than the ropes and corners.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It went well ta mate did some work on my defense covering up better etc, as well as working on leading with both hands to throw my opponent off (I'm southpaw).

It was good I stayed on my toes and got the jab going, my coach said he can do a lot with me but cos I have dodgy teeth :( I've gotta get a gumshield moulded for me by the dentist.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm getting a moulding done early Jan so once that's sorted it shouldn't be too long before I can get some serious sparring done (I'm sparring properly now but my opponents are working around my mouth).

No more sessions until new year now though :(

Appreciate all the help though mate :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts