Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
De La Hoya: "I Want To Fight Twice in 2008" Recommend this page Printable version

By Mark Vester

No retirement for the Golden Boy. In a recent interview with the Sacramento Bee, former six-division champion Oscar De La Hoya (38-5, 30 KOs) said that he plans to continue fighting and wants at least two fights in 2008.

"I would like to fight twice next year, in May and September, opponents to be decided," De La Hoya said.

Oscar's plan still appears to be a return to the welterweight limit of 147-pounds, currently the richest division in boxing.

De La Hoya wants to wait until the end of 2007, see which fighters are at the top of the division and then plan out his future opponents for 08. He admits the winner of the Dec. 8 battle between undefeateds Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and Ricky Hatton, a fight his company will be promoting, will be in running to fight him next year.

"I think welterweight would better suit my style," De La Hoya said. "You have opponents who are bangers, fighters who stay in front of you. I want to leave this sport with fights that people will remember for a long time. It will be interesting to see who is on top in December."

My mind thinks me, mayweather II, hatton, cotto or mosley III may come off sometime next year. I think at least oen of those will. He may not be able to resist the money mayweather will bring in after he beats hatton and then cotto or mosley.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I doubt greatly he takes Mayweather II, he was saying he moved down to fight 'bangers, fighters who stay infront' which suggests to me he doesnt want to fight Mayweather:laugh: Mosley III would be interesting but seems rather pointless too, i think he'll fight Hatton though in May im not sure about the September fight.

If DLH can make the 147lbs comfortable he should be a big player, he'll have damn good power for that weight.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Being an Oscar fan this is great news for me. 38-5 if he won two fights in 08 I think he would be more than happy to retire at 40-5. A Mosley 3 fight would seem quite pointless been as its 2-0 Mosley (although Oscar won the 2nd fight imo), Floyd 2 I could only see if Oscar wins in May and Floyd's still undefeated and the publics plea and money is too much to turn down.

Hatton in May sounds about right!

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
if cotto gets by mosley which im not sure he will id expect oscar to fight him on 1 of those dates, oscar is 0-2 with shane (although it should be 1-1) and if cotto takes the win against ssm it seems like the natural fight to be made. the legend v the guy who beat the guy who beat him "twice".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.