Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I box, I tend to be a swarmer. I get close, stay close and throw a lot of punches. I wanted more power in my body shots, uppercuts and hooks. Basically I want to deliver punishing blows.

Any web pages, youtube videos etc . . . that can give me advice in developing devastating power?

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
When I box, I tend to be a swarmer. I get close, stay close and throw a lot of punches. I wanted more power in my body shots, uppercuts and hooks. Basically I want to deliver punishing blows.

Any web pages, youtube videos etc . . . that can give me advice in developing devastating power?
Often the best way to do that is being precise with your power punches.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts

There are three things that help you get a hard punch.

Hand Toughness- You absolutely need tough hands to be a hard puncher. Hitting the bag ALOT (20+ rounds) will make your hand tougher and it will help with the next thing.

Body Motion- you want to shift all of your body weight into your hand. There is a very special way to do that, if you want to learn how to do it, you should go buy Jack Dempsey's book called "Championship Fighting" or you should get a trainer to show you how.

Big Hands - I am not exactly sure on this one. It seems to me that all of the hard punchers all have big hands (Sonny Liston, Rocky Marciano, Joe Frazier, Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey) and I do not know if you get them from hitting the bag a lot, or if it just comes naturally. But there is no doubt about it that having big hands help your punching power.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts

Use proper form, plant your feet and get the best leverage you can get. Put all your body into it and be explosive. Don't hesitate to scream or grunt to help you release more power.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Add a couple of rounds to the heavy bag where you just throw power shots, as if you had your opponent in the corner. Shadowing boxing with resistence tubing will also increase your power.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Develop a wide balanced stance with your right heel slightly off the ground. 1)transfer you weight, 2) clear your hips hard 3)follow with your shoulder then punch. Stay centered and do not let your spine angle change while you are throwing your combos. example:if you head is leaning left the natural combo will be a left to body followed by a right to the head. Concentrate on your core, turn hard and always lead with your hips. The feet should catch your weight transfer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yes

Develop a wide balanced stance with your right heel slightly off the ground. 1)transfer you weight, 2) clear your hips hard 3)follow with your shoulder then punch. Stay centered and do not let your spine angle change while you are throwing your combos. example:if you head is leaning left the natural combo will be a left to body followed by a right to the head. Concentrate on your core, turn hard and always lead with your hips. The feet should catch your weight transfer.
Yes...this is good stuff. I feel like my power punches start from the feet. I'm slow but still powerful and I think much of that comes from having very strong legs and hips. I was a fullback in college and could still probably leg press a buick and I think that helps. There are some lighter guys, though, who seem to have great power. I think much of that comes from being quick and using the skills Old School mentions above. And...it seems as though you can never train your core too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a question that I would appreciate anyones input from, please. Old School's description of throwing a right to the head is almost exactly what a baseball pitcher does when throwing a fastball. I have often thought that baseball pitchers would get alot of benefit from training like a boxer. My 16 year old son is a pitcher. He trains year round. He works on his legs, his core, his upper body, etc. My question is, does anyone think he can increase his arm extension speed and power by working out on a punching bag? Or is there another type of drill or exercise that the boxing world knows of that can increase hand /arm speed? Thanks.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have a question that I would appreciate anyones input from, please. Old School's description of throwing a right to the head is almost exactly what a baseball pitcher does when throwing a fastball. I have often thought that baseball pitchers would get alot of benefit from training like a boxer. My 16 year old son is a pitcher. He trains year round. He works on his legs, his core, his upper body, etc. My question is, does anyone think he can increase his arm extension speed and power by working out on a punching bag? Or is there another type of drill or exercise that the boxing world knows of that can increase hand /arm speed? Thanks.
From what I know regarding pitchers is that their shoulders are very fragile, and by that I mean they have to be careful with the exercises they do i.e. so they don't build too much muscle, loose flexibility, and not damage any tendens or ligaments. Boxing could potentially increase his speed and power with his pitching arm, but it could also potentially make him deviate from his current pitching form, there would also be a very high risk factor for injury which might matter depending on his importance as a pitcher to the team. Shadow boxing with light weights might be a good routine for him to try, that would surely increase his hand speed. He can also use bungees and therabands to work different kinds of muscle fibers in his shoulder/arm and there are many diff. ways to use them besides shadow boxing w/ them. Hope I was of some help to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From what I know regarding pitchers is that their shoulders are very fragile, and by that I mean they have to be careful with the exercises they do i.e. so they don't build too much muscle, loose flexibility, and not damage any tendens or ligaments. Boxing could potentially increase his speed and power with his pitching arm, but it could also potentially make him deviate from his current pitching form, there would also be a very high risk factor for injury which might matter depending on his importance as a pitcher to the team. Shadow boxing with light weights might be a good routine for him to try, that would surely increase his hand speed. He can also use bungees and therabands to work different kinds of muscle fibers in his shoulder/arm and there are many diff. ways to use them besides shadow boxing w/ them. Hope I was of some help to you.
Thank you very much. We don't intend for him to actually box. we just want him to be able to have the arm strength and speed to be able to effectively transfer the rotational forces from his hips and shoulders without losing anything. In fact if he can add to his kinetic chain force with a strong, fast arm, it will be a plus.

I am of the belief that too many pitchers strengthen their entire bodies, but don't do enough to keep their arms strong and healthy.

When you say shadow box with light weights, how much weight would you recommend, and how many reps? He is 16 years old, 6'3", 180 lbs. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thank you very much. We don't intend for him to actually box. we just want him to be able to have the arm strength and speed to be able to effectively transfer the rotational forces from his hips and shoulders without losing anything. In fact if he can add to his kinetic chain force with a strong, fast arm, it will be a plus.

I am of the belief that too many pitchers strengthen their entire bodies, but don't do enough to keep their arms strong and healthy.

When you say shadow box with light weights, how much weight would you recommend, and how many reps? He is 16 years old, 6'3", 180 lbs. Thank you very much.
Weights should weigh no more than 3lbs. No reps, rounds, do like 4-5 2-3min rounds of shadow boxing. I get the feeling like you(or your bro)don't really know how to box, I wish I could show you some stuff cuz explaining these things through a keyboard sucks, so my advice is to watch some boxing. There's prob some youtube vids of people shadow boxing so you can get an idea of what to do, although Im sure most are goobers that don't know what their doing so your best bet would be to buy a pro instructional vid or find a friend that can show you some stuff. I also forgot to mention that working the speed bag could be very beneficial for your bro. It reduces shoulder fatigue and increases hand eye coordination, so look into that for sure. Let me know if you have and more Q's:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Weights should weigh no more than 3lbs. No reps, rounds, do like 4-5 2-3min rounds of shadow boxing. I get the feeling like you(or your bro)don't really know how to box, I wish I could show you some stuff cuz explaining these things through a keyboard sucks, so my advice is to watch some boxing. There's prob some youtube vids of people shadow boxing so you can get an idea of what to do, although Im sure most are goobers that don't know what their doing so your best bet would be to buy a pro instructional vid or find a friend that can show you some stuff. I also forgot to mention that working the speed bag could be very beneficial for your bro. It reduces shoulder fatigue and increases hand eye coordination, so look into that for sure. Let me know if you have and more Q's:thumbsup:
Thanks, I have a friend who is in law enforcement and boxes as well. I think I'll hook up with him. Thanks so much for your input.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would be very careful using a boxer workout to improve his arm strength. Kinetic chain force or kinetic linking is obviously different when it comes to the shoulder, elbow and wrist sequence compared between the two sports. Arm lag is the major factor and he might build up too much muscle and hurt his flexibility or get hurt in the process. If there is one boxing exercise for him and that would be jumping rope. Everyday 10-15 mins like a pro boxer. His timing, body balance, leg/arm strength, endurance, speed, all these will improve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would be very careful using a boxer workout to improve his arm strength. Kinetic chain force or kinetic linking is obviously different when it comes to the shoulder, elbow and wrist sequence compared between the two sports. Arm lag is the major factor and he might build up too much muscle and hurt his flexibility or get hurt in the process. If there is one boxing exercise for him and that would be jumping rope. Everyday 10-15 mins like a pro boxer. His timing, body balance, leg/arm strength, endurance, speed, all these will improve.
Thank you very much. I shall keep that in mind. Your advice is much apprecriated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts