Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Nick Giongco

David Diaz believes "conditioning will be the key" when he gets the chance to deny Manny Pacquiao a place in history on June 28 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Diaz told fightnews/The Manila Bulletin over the weekend that he can't wait to bang bodies with the Filipino fireball and his "team is happy that we got the fight that we wanted." The 31-year-old Diaz, the reigning WBC lightweight champion, is aware that there's never been a Filipino world champ at 135 lbs but "doesn't think about it." Gabriel "Flash" Elorde twice failed to win it from Carlos Ortiz in 1964 and 1966 and Bert Somodio, Andy Ganigan, Dindo Canoy and Randy Suico all followed the same path. Still, Diaz is not surprised that he is the underdog. "I know but I am not offended," said Diaz, when told that Pacquiao will surely be the heavy favorite come fight night and that ringsiders are of the opinion that his face-first style is perfect for Pacquiao. Diaz officially started training camp last Friday at the JABB Gym owned and operated by Mike Garcia, who also works Diaz's corner alongside chief trainer Jim Strickland.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup. He was brutaly KO'd twice down at Flyweight too. I see him beating a face first guy like David Diaz but Khan will prove to be way to big and good for him.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yup. He was brutaly KO'd twice down at Flyweight too. I see him beating a face first guy like David Diaz but Khan will prove to be way to big and good for him.
I think the Diaz fight will be a could way to gauge how he will fare up against the 135 elite. If Pac make short work of Diaz these guys are in trouble, if he narrowly pulls it off he should probably move back down.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the Diaz fight will be a could way to gauge how he will fare up against the 135 elite. If Pac make short work of Diaz these guys are in trouble, if he narrowly pulls it off he should probably move back down.
I agree and im actualy picking him to do a number on Diaz inside 5. I just dont rate him as a fighter though, i thought a past his best Morales beat him.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I think Pacquiao does make short work of Diaz. I see him struggling with Casamayor and Campbell though.
I'd like to see Marquez/Casamayor shortly after this fight. I believe Marquez wins this and gets a 3rd fight against Pac. Man this trilogy might be better than Barrera/Morales...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Joel Casamayors trying to get paid, Manny Pac wants to keep getting paid. Count on this fight happening if Pac and Casamayor get past their respective Diaz's. The biggest money fight possible for Pac at 135 Is him versus whomever the champ is.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The biggest money fight for Pac without a doubt would be Khan in the UK, if both look sensational on this bill there will be crazy numbers involved in that fight through gate and PPV.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
There's a reason Pacquiao is going after David Diaz. He's a pathetic excuse for a belt holder, and Pacquiao is basically guaranteed a victory. Manny won't stop him early. He just doesn't seek and destroy as much as he used to, which I see as a good thing. The speed differential in this fight will be evident from the opening bell. I look for Manny to out-box Diaz en route to a WIDE UD or very late referee stoppage.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts