1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DiBella signs Cintron, Bailey, has agreement with George

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

New York promoter Lou DiBella is beefing up his stable of fighters, signing two former titleholders and reaching an agreement with a light heavyweight contender.

DiBella told ESPN.com that he signed former welterweight titleholder Kermit Cintron to a multi-year promotional contract Wednesday night -- the same night that new addition Randall Bailey, a former junior welterweight beltholder who signed with DiBella a few weeks ago, knocked out Dairo Esalas in the first round.

DiBella said he has also reached a deal in principle to sign light heavyweight Shaun George (17-2-2, 8 KOs).

Cintron, 28, is the biggest name of the trio but is a bit of a reclamation project. After winning a vacant belt in October 2006, Cintron made two defenses in 2007. But in April, Cintron (29-2, 27 KOs) suffered his second one-sided knockout loss to Antonio Margarito, after which Main Events released Cintron.

Cintron had also been stopped by Margarito in a 2005 title fight.

"It's a wide-open welterweight division, Kermit is a puncher and he factors into the division," DiBella said. "He'll be ready to fight in November."

DiBella said Cintron's first bout with him would come Nov. 15 on the untelevised undercard of the Jermain Taylor-Jeff Lacy super middleweight elimination bout.

"I think Kermit is an interesting guy in the division," DiBella said, adding that he'd like to eventually match Cintron with Miguel Cotto, who also was stopped by Margarito on July 26.

"Cotto-Cintron is an interesting fight," DiBella said. "I mentioned that to [Cotto promoter] Bob [Arum]. I'm happy to be working with Kermit. I like the guy and it makes sense for me to work in the division. Kermit is a young guy and losing to Margarito is no disgrace because the guy is a beast."

DiBella also promotes welterweight titleholder Andre Berto and former titlist Carlos Quintana.

DiBella signed Bailey, 33, after his deal with Seminole Warriors Boxing expired and he responded with a one-punch body shot knockout of Esalas in New York.

Bailey (37-6, 34 KOs), one of the best punchers in boxing, hasn't been much of a factor for several years. But DiBella thinks he can get him another title opportunity.

"I got Randall a win and now I want to get him a title fight," DiBella said.

Bailey held a 140-pound belt from 1999 to 2000 and made two defenses.

George, 29, is coming off a major upset victory. On May 16 in Las Vegas, George dominated and then stopped former heavyweight titleholder Chris Byrd, who was moving down to light heavyweight.

From the outset, George was in control before stopping Byrd in the ninth round in an ESPN2 main event.

"He's a tough kid and a tremendously nice kid," DiBella said. "He lives and breathes boxing and the win against [Byrd] was good enough to propel him into something big."

George's first bout with DiBella could be in November on Showtime, against former light heavyweight champ Glen Johnson.

"It's compelling because the outcome is in doubt and they make good fights," DiBella said. "We have an agreement in principle to make the fight if we can get a network to buy the fight. We're talking to Showtime."

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If Cintron can stay away from Margarito he will be fine
He needs to keep away from Tony like the plague. Cotto/Cintron would be an excellent comeback fight for both guys. I doubt Arum will won't to put Cotto back in with a big puncher like Cintron, though.

G

·
Cintron packs a big punch but not much else. I see Cotto wearing him down and knocking him out. Cintron really won't have much success in this division the way things are.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Cintron packs a big punch but not much else. I see Cotto wearing him down and knocking him out. Cintron really won't have much success in this division the way things are.
Yeah but it would take one big right hand to mess things up with Cotto. Cintron may not be as good as margarito, but his right hand is much more powerfull. If Cotto can avoid that punch, he can ebat Cintron easily, specially if he uses his trademark punch.

G

·
Yeah but it would take one big right hand to mess things up with Cotto. Cintron may not be as good as margarito, but his right hand is much more powerfull. If Cotto can avoid that punch, he can ebat Cintron easily, specially if he uses his trademark punch.
True, if he catches Cotto flush with big shots he's in trouble. But he doesn't bring the workrate, chin, pressure that Margarito does. He won't be able to take the shots Cotto was landing on Marg. As you say, Cotto will beat him easily if he gets off his left hooks, especially to the body.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts