Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Did Cortez ruin the entertainment for you?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Who Cares? (the anwser is I care)

Votes: 1 3.1%
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting frustrated with Cortez. I've never been a fan of Cortez due to how much he likes to break fighters apart but he really really showed it in the Mayweather-Hatton fight last night. Mayweather was hugging after every punch and right away Cortez would break them up without even giving them a chance to throw some punches while in close. I don't like fights where they hug and throw rabbit punches but sometimes it is what needed. I honestly didn't enjoy the first few rounds as much as I hoped for the fight. IMO Cortez made them boring and uneventful as neither fighters were really throwing what was good. If Mayweather wanted to jump in and hug. Cortez should have let him, Hatton has the advantage in close and Mayweather has the advantage at distance. Mayweather was hugging and making the fight BORING!

So how did you guys feel?

and I don't think he ruind the outcome of the fight. Think it would have been the same whether he jumped in after a few in tight punches or did what he did.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hatton got beaten, and Cortez couldn't have done much about it!

At the end of the day, its up to the ref himself, not what we think...

Yes, there were a few moments, but I don't think it would have affected the outcome too much unless it had gone to points.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't even get the point of the thread. Fighters clinch, they're suppose to be broken up. Of course Mayweather would tie him up, part of the plan, and Ricky likes to hug too so who cares. Had nothing to do with the outcome anyway.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
the guy is doing his job, sometimes he was a little to quick to stop them, but i dont think the fight would have been different, Mayweather is simply a steb above hatton.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
He did for me. He all he did yell and bumble over him self (like usuall). Cortez didn't change the out come though, just made the fight less enjoyable. He doesn't let fighters fight. I could have sworn he talked to them in spanish at one point.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
the point deduction on Hatton was BS. He missed Mayweather's head with the punch anyways.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Yeah, that call was BS. He basicaly took a point away from Hatton for Mayweather turning around. That is why you don't let Cortez ref. "Ricky...I mean Floyd...no wait Ricky....LET GO FLOYD!...I mean Ricky" He did that kind of crap all through out the fight. He would let anything happen. He just wouldn't shut up.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
What in the hell are you all bitching about? Honestly? I just think that so many people were surprised by seeing what happens when Floyd fights someone his size. Floyd straight up whipped his ass. Nuff said.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Captainobvious said:
This thread is silly.

The point of breaking fighters up is to INCREASE the action, not decrease it.

Smarten up fellas, smarten up.
Cortez was yelling when they were throwing punches. The out come was gonna happen that way, nothing was stopping that punch, but Cortez completely contradicted what he said he would do in the dressing rooms.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
What is sad is that Cortez has NOTHING to do with the simple fact that Floyd is MUCH better than Hatton, yet so many of you guys are complaining about him. Cortez did fine. Both guys had to deal with the same conditions.

·
Fire of the Dragon
241 Posts
i dont think anyone disagrees with floyd's excellence in the ring last night, he was brilliant,

a lot of people are misinterpreting the title of the thread, no one is taking anything away from floyd, he beat hatton easily

64.29% of those that have voted say he did affect the style of the fight, 28.57% say he didnt, so the majority think that HE DID affect the style of the fight!

the refereeing in the first three rounds was a disgrace, i think cortez wanted to keep them standstill at a metre apart and just throw a puch one at a time!!

but i gave 2 out of the first 3 rounds to hatton so it wasnt bias at all. it was just ugly refereeing.

floyd would've won with any ref, it just wouldve made it a bit more pleasurable to watch with a different ref

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Personally, i thought it was better than cotto/mosley.ive watched it 6 times today and I'll admit, watchign it live i had it 6 rounds to 3. But after watching it over and over, its hard for me to give hatton any other round but the fifth and possibly the 2nd.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
there was a lot of times when there could have been some good in-fighting though captain and cortez was all over them. he spoiled the fight for me to.

floyd desereved his win though.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
What in the hell are you all bitching about? Honestly? I just think that so many people were surprised by seeing what happens when Floyd fights someone his size. Floyd straight up whipped his ass. Nuff said.
he stopped him in what was a close fight shane, he didn't "straight-up whipp his ass".

·
Registered
540 Posts
Im not a fan of cortez as a reff,i said this before the fight in one post.Floyd without dought desereved his win no question here.I dont like cortez Reffing big fights full stop.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
sid said:
Im not a fan of cortez as a reff,i said this before the fight in one post.Floyd without dought desereved his win no question here.I dont like cortez Reffing big fights full stop.
i think thats the point were all making sid, not excuses.

well said mate.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.