Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question... all of the guys that beat him... from the 6'2" Holyfield... the 6'4" James "Buster" Douglas and finally the 6'6" Kevin McBride... all pretty damn big guys... gigantic compared to his 5'11" or 5'11 and a half inch self... was there ever a guy that was shorter than him or around his height that beat him?:dunno:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Nope, but Marciano would KO him in 1 round and Marciano was 5'10''
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Nope, but Marciano would KO him in 1 round and Marciano was 5'10''
i agree bill rocky had more power and prob the best chin apart from ali, most importantly he would not have been intimidated by tyson.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Marciano had a better chin than Ali.
who was marciano in with who punched harder than liston frazier or foreman.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
who was marciano in with who punched harder than liston frazier or foreman.
No one, but he sure as heck didn't get knocked down as much as Ali/Clay. Liston was just set up to be beaten by Ali/Clay, and Foreman was tired when he got TKO'd wrongfuly. He was getting up. Marciano could hit just as hard as Liston and Foreman.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
George Foreman or Joe Frazier? I know Joe never beat George... but Joe took Ali further than any other fighter I know... he even beat him as well!:cheeky4:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
No one, but he sure as heck didn't get knocked down as much as Ali/Clay. Liston was just set up to be beaten by Ali/Clay, and Foreman was tired when he got TKO'd wrongfuly. He was getting up. Marciano could hit just as hard as Liston and Foreman.
he didn't fight the caliber of opponent as ali thats why ali was down more.

by the way i can only remember ali being down against cooper and frazier and marciano was also down twice.

anyhoo rocky was beaten 4or5 times in his early carrer but his managment wiped these stats thats a well known fact.

you also say that liston was setup for clay to beat??? when clay entered the ring his odd's were similaiar to busters when he fought tyson.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
tommygunn said:
he didn't fight the caliber of opponent as ali thats why ali was down more.

by the way i can only remember ali being down against cooper and frazier and marciano was also down twice.

anyhoo rocky was beaten 4or5 times in his early carrer but his managment wiped these stats thats a well known fact.

you also say that liston was setup for clay to beat??? when clay entered the ring his odd's were similaiar to busters when he fought tyson.
I have never heard of these earlier fights.Can you elaborate? where can you find out more?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
he didn't fight the caliber of opponent as ali thats why ali was down more.

by the way i can only remember ali being down against cooper and frazier and marciano was also down twice.

anyhoo rocky was beaten 4or5 times in his early carrer but his managment wiped these stats thats a well known fact.

you also say that liston was setup for clay to beat??? when clay entered the ring his odd's were similaiar to busters when he fought tyson.
Wepner dropped Ali/Clay, so did Shavers. Also those loses were in his amature career. He lost 4 times as an amature, not pro.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bill1234 said:
Wepner dropped Ali/Clay, so did Shavers. Also those loses were in his amature career. He lost 4 times as an amature, not pro.
I was always a huge fan of Chuck Wepner... because of him... Sylvester Stallone was actually in at least one really good film... so 'thank you' WEPNER!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Sylvestor based Rocky Balboa on Chuck Wepner, but he used some of the things Frazier did, like running up the art musam steps.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bill1234 said:
Sylvestor based Rocky Balboa on Chuck Wepner, but he used some of the things Frazier did, like running up the art musam steps.
Some peoeple dismiss Joe Frazier as a brawler... not that there's anything wrong with a brawler... but what people should know is that he had a bad left eye for most of his life... yet was still a great boxer! IF HAD COMPLETE 20/20 DIVISION... HE COULD HAVE BEEN EVEN BETTER THAN ALL!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
White Tyson said:
Some peoeple dismiss Joe Frazier as a brawler... not that there's anything wrong with a brawler... but what people should know is that he had a bad left eye for most of his life... yet was still a great boxer! IF HAD COMPLETE 20/20 DIVISION... HE COULD HAVE BEEN EVEN BETTER THAN ALL!!!
Yep, he also had a frozen left shoulder, which gave him his great left hook.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
White Tyson said:
Just a question... all of the guys that beat him... from the 6'2" Holyfield... the 6'4" James "Buster" Douglas and finally the 6'6" Kevin McBride... all pretty damn big guys... gigantic compared to his 5'11" or 5'11 and a half inch self... was there ever a guy that was shorter than him or around his height that beat him?:dunno:

In the pros the closest was probably Orlin Norris. There match was a no contest.Norris lists at 5' 11"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Wepner dropped Ali/Clay, so did Shavers. Also those loses were in his amature career. He lost 4 times as an amature, not pro.
he lost on the pro circuit also his managment wiped this from the records.

a mate of mine fights in the paid ranks and nobody knows how many he's won or lost its not a hard thing to do.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
No he didn't. You can't just wipe things off of the charts. Who/where told that he lost as a pro???
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
ive heard he lost on the club circuit a few times and i watched a recent interview with bert randolph sugar who was saying the exact same thing.

think about it bill if rocky fought in 1 state and lost and quickly fought again in another who's to know, sugar ray robinson is also romoured to have lost before taking the name.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Bert Randolph Sugar doesn't like Marcinano, he says what people want to hear. And Marciano fought only once with another name, and that was his true name of Rocco Marchegiano and that is on record, a lot of people spread rumors that are thought to be true after a while.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top