Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't help but notice this but sometimes during boxing bouts, particularly HW's seem to gas before the mid points of the fight.

Other times I see them gas within the first few rounds.

I know having balance is important but sometimes I see that some seem to neglect it.

An example would be Mollo Golota 2 months ago.

Kudos BTW for both of those guys for fighting hard until the finish but, IMO, had their conditioning been better, they may have been able to put on more of a show in the last 5 or so rounds.

So my question is do you think conditioning training for Boxers is a problem?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I think it is a big problem, its probably meant alot of very good fighters havent fulfilled there potential. Zab Judah is a good example, a damn good fighter who could have been better had he not neglected conditioning.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
If were talking heavyweights yes, but the world class athletes under hw, dont neglect conditioning, if they do, they will lose. This is why mayweather is the best in the game, he is the most supremely conditioned athlete probabley on the planet.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think you see it mostly in the heavyweights, mostly because they are just uncommitted, however guys like Jermain Taylor....for example just don't have allot of stamina by nature, I don't think it has anything to do with conditioning.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I think it is a big problem, its probably meant alot of very good fighters havent fulfilled there potential. Zab Judah is a good example, a damn good fighter who could have been better had he not neglected conditioning.
Sometimes they sorta get lazy because they believe their natural attributes such as abnormal speed and reflexes will be enought to win.
One of the reasons PBF is so good is because he is always in good shape.

Now, about the chubby heavyweights, I think most of them are well conditioned despite their look. I mean guys like Chagaev, Ibragimov, Povetkin they seem to adapt well going 12 rounds...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If were talking heavyweights yes, but the world class athletes under hw, dont neglect conditioning, if they do, they will lose. This is why mayweather is the best in the game, he is the most supremely conditioned athlete probabley on the planet.
Yeah mayweather has incredible conditioning. But then again it may not even be conditioning, I think it's the fact that he picks his shots very well and doesn't waste time throwing shots that won't land or do damage.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Yeah mayweather has incredible conditioning. But then again it may not even be conditioning, I think it's the fact that he picks his shots very well and doesn't waste time throwing shots that won't land or do damage.:dunno:
Yeah Floyd's smart, But dodging punches and moving around the ring is tiring enough, floyd does that 12 rounds and doesnt look a bit tired by the end.

Did you watcht he alst Mijares fight? that guy he fougth threw over 1600 punches, he kept punching all night and still had gas for some extra rounds if he had to, same for Israel Vasquez

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
A prime example of this neglect, was those two waste of heavy weights last night, I mean they came out of their corners walking around like they were going for a stroll and trowing pitty pat punches like they were saving them for the last round, Peters had the nerve to star yelling ( who's next ) afterwards who ever it is he better hope they don't come out trowing punches, I dont see this guys making any significant defenses at all

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
The overweight division has a bunch of poorly conditioned athletes. That is the problem with not having a set limit. It is the same as any sport. If you don't train properly you won't be as successful as someone who does.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Money post shane. Southpaw, Mayweather uses quite a bit of energy, Its just not something you realize until you try to fight like he does. However he's so relaxed in the ring, and that is another reason he doesnt get tired.

·
Registered
318 Posts
All of the athletes that would be HW's are in a different sport if they have the work ethic to stay in great condition. All of the potential Ali's, Norton's, and Frazier's are playing football or basketball.

Does Haye have the potential to be an athletic HW? It certainly seems that he has the power for the HW division but does he have the chin?

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
All of the athletes that would be HW's are in a different sport if they have the work ethic to stay in great condition. All of the potential Ali's, Norton's, and Frazier's are playing football or basketball.

Does Haye have the potential to be an athletic HW? It certainly seems that he has the power for the HW division but does he have the chin?
And why are the potential HW champs in the NFL or NBA?? If a HS kid shows exceptional talent in football baseball or basketball he is immediately innundated with college scholarships which really allow him to play almost semi pro ball then if he's good enough along comes the draft and on to the NFL NBA etc.
What a talented amateur boxer got?? He's got to hope a sponsor or a dedicated trainer helps him out no soft touches for the boxers. You cant blame the kids taking the easy route

Reactions: BigDigga

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
You can't blame them at all. But at least this way, we really get people who love the sport of boxing enough to go through all the hard times. Thats what will always make boxing great. In anything in life, theres a special meaning behind things when its a struggle to get to the top.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
And why are the potential HW champs in the NFL or NBA?? If a HS kid shows exceptional talent in football baseball or basketball he is immediately innundated with college scholarships which really allow him to play almost semi pro ball then if he's good enough along comes the draft and on to the NFL NBA etc.
What a talented amateur boxer got?? He's got to hope a sponsor or a dedicated trainer helps him out no soft touches for the boxers. You cant blame the kids taking the easy route
Great post, CJ.:thumbsup:
You can't blame them at all. But at least this way, we really get people who love the sport of boxing enough to go through all the hard times. Thats what will always make boxing great. In anything in life, theres a special meaning behind things when its a struggle to get to the top.
That is an awesome point, Lance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts