Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish they had 15 round fights left. 15 round fights usually pushed fighters to train harder and was much harder to get a draw. Also it would thin out the heavyweights a little bit, so it would be much harder for them to last.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
I wish they had 15 round fights left. 15 round fights usually pushed fighters to train harder and was much harder to get a draw. Also it would thin out the heavyweights a little bit, so it would be much harder for them to last.
no, and its not because i dont think the 15 was better its because the fighters of today have only trained and pushed themselfs for a 12 round fight, theres only maybe 3 or 4 guys fighting today who could go 15.

they should not have changed it in the first place!!

if james toney trained for a 15 rounder he'd be a 168 guy again. :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
tommygunn said:
no, and its not because i dont think the 15 was better its because the fighters of today have only trained and pushed themselfs for a 12 round fight, theres only maybe 3 or 4 guys fighting today who could go 15.

they should not have changed it in the first place!!

if james toney trained for a 15 rounder he'd be a 168 guy again. :D
i agree with most of that tommy but a 15 rounder was good in the day

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
tyson said:
i agree with most of that tommy but a 15 rounder was good in the day
i agree, they should never have changed from 15 down to 12, the long fights seperated the men from the boys!

i would bet my house on it that the HW division wouldn't be as bad as it is now if it was still 15 rounds, these lazy bums would have to get there sorry asses out on the road and in the gym more.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Stick with 12 - Nothing against 15 rounders but the drunken states im in watching most of these American fights at 4 in the morning, 12 is enough for me. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But, thats why I want 15 rounds back. It would thin out the division and possibly even make a dominant champion.

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
bill1234 said:
I completely agree with you bill1234... 15 Rounds sorts the men from the boys... it should come back! :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
I completely disagree. The laziness you see in the HW's would only be worse in a 15 rounder. That's 3 more rounds of Shannon Briggs standing there.

I propose they shorten the fights to 5 rounds and you have to win by KO or you both get a loss.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
theboz19 said:
I completely disagree. The laziness you see in the HW's would only be worse in a 15 rounder. That's 3 more rounds of Shannon Briggs standing there.

I propose they shorten the fights to 5 rounds and you have to win by KO or you both get a loss.

Another 9 minutes of watching the likes of Briggs is not appealing I agree but the 5 round thing is a bit stupid. You could watch a whole boxing bill, come home and nobody won!

Jermaine Taylor would still somehow get a victory without a KO.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
If there were a way to make only certain fights 15 rounds that would be awesome. Imagine Barerra vs. Marquez going another three rounds. This will never happen but it is fun to talk about.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yeh, i imagine we could have had some very different results had the 15 rounds stayed along. It would be cool to see some guys fight 15 rounds, but other times it would be hell lol

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
I'm a HUGE backer of bringing back 15 round title fights. The idea that today's "can't" go 15 is silly. Fighters train for the number of rounds they know their next fight will be. They train for 10 if they'll be fighting 10, they train for 12 if it's 12. Make it for 15 and they'll train for 15. The fighters back in the day only trained for 15 when they had a title shot. It's not like they were fighting 15 rounds all the time. it wouldn't be any different now.

Poet

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's amazing to think how the history of boxing would have changed if 12 round fights had been implemented earlier...For that point only I wish all World title bouts were still 15 rds

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Why stop at 15 rounds? Why not 20, or even 25? And while were at it, we can bring back bare knuckles too. Look fellas, while thats the way it was done in the "old days" there are very good reasons for the elimination of 15 round fights. First off, you get cleaner, better action because guys aren't dragging ass trying to last 15 rounds. Second, and most importantly, its FAR SAFER. Anyone who knows anything about boxing, knows that accumulation of blows is more dangerous than the one KO punch. The kind of punishment a boxer takes is not something you want to see sustained for extra rounds. The fewer Ali's, Gatti's, and the like we see after the end of their careers, the better.
15 rounders should stay in the past because thats where they belong. Its not that I can't appreciate the effort all of the greats put in, and some of the amazing fights, but i CAN certainly appreciate wanting to see these brave warriors make it out of the fight game with their health intact. Thats what its really about

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
Captainobvious99 said:
Why stop at 15 rounds? Why not 20, or even 25? And while were at it, we can bring back bare knuckles too. Look fellas, while thats the way it was done in the "old days" there are very good reasons for the elimination of 15 round fights. First off, you get cleaner, better action because guys aren't dragging ass trying to last 15 rounds. Second, and most importantly, its FAR SAFER. Anyone who knows anything about boxing, knows that accumulation of blows is more dangerous than the one KO punch. The kind of punishment a boxer takes is not something you want to see sustained for extra rounds. The fewer Ali's, Gatti's, and the like we see after the end of their careers, the better.
15 rounders should stay in the past because thats where they belong. Its not that I can't appreciate the effort all of the greats put in, and some of the amazing fights, but i CAN certainly appreciate wanting to see these brave warriors make it out of the fight game with their health intact. Thats what its really about
To play the Devil's Advocate, using that logic why not reduce fights to 8 rounds? Or 6? Or even 4? Afterall it's safer because there is a fewer accumulation of blows. This is not amatuer boxing: This is the pros. I LIKE the fact that proffesional boxing is markedly different than the amatuers. Pros don't wear headgear for example.

15 Round fights are for championship fights only. Most fighters would have VERY few of those on their record. Evander Holyfield saw the 15th round maybe once in his career but HE'S slurring his words. Gerald McClellan wasn't brain damaged in a 15 round fight. There are far more factors involved in brain damaged fighters than just going 3 extra rounds in a title fight. As for dragging ass, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall any ass dragging in Holmes - Norton or Ali - Frazier I and III.

Poet

·
Registered
652 Posts
poet682006 said:
I'm a HUGE backer of bringing back 15 round title fights. The idea that today's "can't" go 15 is silly. Fighters train for the number of rounds they know their next fight will be. They train for 10 if they'll be fighting 10, they train for 12 if it's 12. Make it for 15 and they'll train for 15. The fighters back in the day only trained for 15 when they had a title shot. It's not like they were fighting 15 rounds all the time. it wouldn't be any different now.

Poet

Hi Poet, I saw this topic and thought you would be involved :)

I have thought about the question since you posed it before and I agree with your way of thinking.
Title fights for major titles should still be 15 round affairs.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
poet682006 said:
To play the Devil's Advocate, using that logic why not reduce fights to 8 rounds? Or 6? Or even 4? Afterall it's safer because there is a fewer accumulation of blows. This is not amatuer boxing: This is the pros. I LIKE the fact that proffesional boxing is markedly different than the amatuers. Pros don't wear headgear for example.

15 Round fights are for championship fights only. Most fighters would have VERY few of those on their record. Evander Holyfield saw the 15th round maybe once in his career but HE'S slurring his words. Gerald McClellan wasn't brain damaged in a 15 round fight. There are far more factors involved in brain damaged fighters than just going 3 extra rounds in a title fight. As for dragging ass, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall any ass dragging in Holmes - Norton or Ali - Frazier I and III.

Poet
Are you actually comparing going from 15 rounds to 12, to the amateurs? Lets not be rediculous. How many rounds do amateurs fight? With headgear as you said. Ok. The amateur system is designed well to get young fighters experience in a relatively safe manner.

Sure, there are going to be some 15 rounders that were terrific, I'm not saying that isnt the case. And for the ones that were, there are far more that were sluggish. Guys throwing pillow punches for the latest rounds doesnt do anything for me, personally. I'd rather have better action for 12 solid rounds, and reduce unnecessary risk to a boxers health. I think the 12 round fight was a great move for boxing and I don't think there is ANY chance of it being changed back to 15, because of the exact reasons I named.
Some may not agree with it, and may prefer 15 rounds, but thats just the way it is.

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
Captainobvious99 said:
Are you actually comparing going from 15 rounds to 12, to the amateurs? Lets not be rediculous. How many rounds do amateurs fight? With headgear as you said. Ok. The amateur system is designed well to get young fighters experience in a relatively safe manner.

Sure, there are going to be some 15 rounders that were terrific, I'm not saying that isnt the case. And for the ones that were, there are far more that were sluggish. Guys throwing pillow punches for the latest rounds doesnt do anything for me, personally. I'd rather have better action for 12 solid rounds, and reduce unnecessary risk to a boxers health. I think the 12 round fight was a great move for boxing and I don't think there is ANY chance of it being changed back to 15, because of the exact reasons I named.
Some may not agree with it, and may prefer 15 rounds, but thats just the way it is.
And you skipped over most of my points. You should just come out and say it: You think 15 round fights are boreing and you're using the health of the fighter as a strawman to justify your opposition to them.

Poet

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Yes, I prefer the 12 rounder because I think its a little less sloppy toward the end of the fight.
But I think the saftey factor is very relevant. Are you saying you dont? If thats what your saying, why do you feel that the boxing commissions decided to go to 12 rounds? I'd like to get your opinion on that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts