Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, there isn't any boxing gym near where I live, infact: I've searched on the internet and didn't even find ANY boxing gym in my country (belgium)... it's not really a popular sport here :( So the point is that I have to learn it on my own and by asking questions to more knowing peeps like you!

1. I've seen a couple of movies of Pernell Whitaker and I was really stunned of how he could dodge punches, how exactly does he do it? Are you supposed to see punches comming and then be ultra fast and concentrated? Or are you supposed to predict them? Or are you simply just supposed to slip/bob/weave whenever you're not planning on punching? Is there some kind of routine?

2. Are there some good counterattacks after certain punches/combos? For example: I personally would throw a left hook to the body when someone attempts to throw an overhand right at me, as his liver would be exposed.
So if you know any counterattack to these punches please let me know. (also explain why they are good counterattacks)
Jab/Left hook (to body or head)/Right cross/Right hook (to body or head)/Overhand right/Uppercut.

3. Are there certain combos that I should practice besides the typical 12 123 and 1234?
When I make a combo myself I usually predict how my opponent would react to a punch and then hit the part of his body that gets exposed.
So if you know any good combos please tell them and explain why they would work.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad English if you're having dificulties reading.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Its usually good practice to keep your head moving and not stiff. A target that stands still will be hit.

Dodging punches is reflex and anticipation. Youll see movements of your opponent and know that a punch is coming. A little movement to either side or down usually is enough to make the punch graze or miss entirely. The more practice you get with sparring, the more you anticipate and learn.

One good counter punch to a straight right, is a straight right of your own. Some people with roll the left shoulder in to protect the chin when their opponent throws that right. As soon as it is landing on the shoulder, they immediately explode back with their own straight right while the opponent is bringing his right hand back to normal position.

Floyd is VERY good at pulling this off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there another specific way to exercise bobbing/weaving, I can't spar due to no boxing gym near me. Now that I think of it I doubt that there is even ANY boxing gym in belgium :(

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
You can always use the rope.
Tie a rope in opposite corhers of the room at shoulder height, no higher. Practice your stepping movement forward, bobbing under the left side of the rope, then the right (or vice versa) and then step forward again. Work on bending your knees to get down, and not "leaning forward" from the back. You want to continue all the way from one side to the other, turn around and come back. Keep practicing this.

Thats a good way to start. Also, using a double end bag helps as well with your side to side head movement. Strike the doubleend back with a jab or straight right, and practice slipping the return motion of the double end bag, moving your head .

Those are some of the easier ways to get started.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
hmmm. I see the youtube withthe screen shot, but clicking the play on the video says no longer available. Using the link I provided does take you to the video though, so we'll chalk that one up to youtube F'ng up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts