Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been watching a lot of friday night fights...checking out the younger fighters that are up and coming...and i realized that i know not many boxers that use the philly shell defense...i would have thought that some boxers in this generation would be trying it...i mean its very affective, if its used correctly...but i also know that its hard to be affective because it takes smarts and movement and flat out skill...pbf has been using it since his beginnings...surely he isnt the only one that uses this style...anyone else uses it?????????

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Pbf's defense isnt the textbook philly shell defense with the elbows in front of the chest ala Qawi or Holyfield pbf's d is more like a James Toney (witout most of the counters) defense. Joan Guzman (shout out to my Dominicans) and Steve Forbes still uses it. Young fighters dont use it probably cause most trainers dont teach it, dont like it or just dont wanna take the time neccesary to teach it.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Looks like the Mayweather trained fighters Forbes, Guzman and Floyd are the guys in boxing today that uses that defense.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Floyd doesn't use the Philly shell. It's a mix of different things. Toney's d was very similar. Mendez uses it. Guzman uses it. Floyd uses it. There are two other guys that I can't think of that use it. It is very hard to teach because so many things have to be just right. This is why Floyd is so damn good.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Most fighters try it out in sparring. If you do it too early in a real fight, you might end up staying away from it forever. Case in point: It's hard. If you don't have it 100%...don't try it.
If you do, welcome to the big leagues.

·
Registered
175 Posts
yea they both learned it in detroit, James Toney had it down to perfection and now so does Floyd. You would think more youngsters would use it more, seeing as how Floyd is the best of this era.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Watched a couple pbf fights last night. Not quite the philly shell D as much as it looks like he's cowering which is when he strikes. Dangerous technique.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Most fighters try it out in sparring. If you do it too early in a real fight, you might end up staying away from it forever. Case in point: It's hard. If you don't have it 100%...don't try it.
If you do, welcome to the big leagues
it's a hard technique to master, but it's well worth the effort imo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts