Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo mates ;-)...

I just wanted to ask this question. I do boxing training (sparring, pad work, rope, bag work, speed bag etc...) twice a week Monday and Friday along weight and ab training Tuesday and Thusrday.

Now I wish to get my weight down so I am doing at least 30-45 mins cardio on Wednesday and Saturday. I love running but shin splints are prohibitong me from doing it lately. It doesn't hurt on my bike...could cycling replace jogging for the moment?

Is it effective or it does nothing to help? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not as effective as running, but if it's just for the moment it shoud be an adequate replacement. Running on the treadmill is much more forgiving on your body compared to roadwork, that would be even better than cycling. Swimming is also one of the best ways to get cardio.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for reply. So swiiming is better? It should not be a problem as I have access to the national olympic sized pool with my gym membership ;-)...I hate running on the treadmill as it's always the same, much easier, not to mention the fact that I always end up looking at the bouncing butt of the lady in front of me...so I am not at all concentrated..lol.

I have heard many stories not to overtrain the upper body with cardio and do only lower body cardio such as running, cycling etc... so as not to have skinny arms.

I will definitely start swimming then till my shins improve. Also is skipping rope ok? I dont feel much pain as when running so I was wondering but I think I would still be giving the shins a hard time...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yeah swimming is tough, try it. Cardio is cardio, if it is aerobic exercise, your legs, arms, and shoulders will always slim down to a certain extent. I've never heard of different body sections w cardio i.e. upper body/lower body, thats stupid, it all effects the heart, lungs, muscle oxidation, and metabolism. Believe it or not, running slims your shoulders down more than anything. Swimming will build your shoulders and back, especially the accessory muscles that are never used, you'll notice the soreness if you start. Not to mention it will make you more flexible. Flexible=Stronger.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks matey...I was never aware of that accessory muscle thing. I will definitely start swimming, I used to swim medium distances when I was younger (12-15 yrs.) but I have forgot how you feel with swimming.

Thanks again.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Any thing that helps out the legs, can't be bad for boxing, cycling is real good to help out any other sport...

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
This will definently help strengthen your legs and give you the confidence to last when your tired. Most peoples legs become heavy late in fights, this is due to many things like muscle fatigue. Cycling will allow you to build strong and lean leg muscles which will have less lactic (SP) acid build up in them so muscle fatigue wont be present as much. It's a good idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts