Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddys and I were haveing this discussion the other day and wanted to know what you guys thought. We were watching Margarito and Williams and most the crowd was Mexican and pro Margarito. In the background there were a few Afro Americans that were for Williams which got the whole thing going.

So say if you were watching a fight that you knew little about either fighter, and one was of your race and one was not, would you go for the guy of your race?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd go with the guy who has the best style.

Ur question is basically asking if people are racists or not. That is what it comes down to.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reed422 said:

Ur question is basically asking if people are racists or not. That is what it comes down to.
LOL, not even close to asking if people are racist. Watch any fight and most Mexicans go for the Mexican and most Afro Americans go for the same. Does that mean they're racist? No!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I personally think, if it was a british fighter boxing against a non british fighter that I didn't know, I'm support the british fighter, regardless of race. I think people will support a fighter from their home country due to patriotism etc. Not due to the colour of the fighters skin, usually a country is comprised predominantly of one race so that could be your answer as to why there was a racial divide?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I support Amir Khan now, and supported Naseem Hamed in the past so no race doesnt mean anything. When it comes to nationality, il always support the Brit over anyone else, but whether there white or of asian/african/caribbean descent i will support them all the same way.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
i couldn't care if a fighter was purple with yellow spots.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Patriotism I agree with, 99 times out of 100 I will support a British fighter v anybody else. But race doesnt bother me one bit.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well what do you guys on this side of the pond think? A understand a respect alls opinion. I just want everyone to know in no way shape or form am I asking if you are a racist. Just watch a lot of fights and it always seems that with the crowd, a lot the the people of the same race go for that guy! Just wanted to know everyones thoughts is all!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Reed422 said:

I think that is a bad way to summarize his question. He has a good point and 99% of people will back up their race if every other possible characteristic were even. People can say that they don't use that as criteria to like a particular fighter and they would be lying. If I have never seen 2 guys fight in my life and one fighter is from mexico and the other fighter is from poland, I am naturally going to hope the mexican fighter wins and there is nothing racist about that. I often hope the mexican fighter's lose when they face the american fighters I like or have seen fight before.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
tommygunn said:
i couldn't care if a fighter was purple with yellow spots.
:laugh: me niether but i do like to be behind the brits

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
So say if you were watching a fight that you knew little about either fighter, and one was of your race and one was not, would you go for the guy of your race?
at the start of the fight Yes.
by the end of the fight it could have changed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A few notes on boxing and race...

I agree that national loyalties play a large role, more significant than race. Was watching Oquendo vs Castillo last night, and there was alot of animosity between the Puerto Rican and Cuban factions. I don't think that those who favored Oquendo did so because he was lighter-skinned than Castillo, or vice versa. It was all about national pride.

As an American, I'm subject to regional bias. I might favor a fighter who's from Philly or New Jersey. For example, I'm pulling for B-Hop over Winky tonight. But alot depends on a fighter's style, talent, and showmanship, as well as anything I know about him personally.

But none of this is really about race.

Back in the day, as you guys know, racial identity was a big part of boxing. Max Baer wore the star of David on his trunks, tho he was only half Jewish. But for fans, it helped link him with the tradition of Jewish fighters like Benny Leonard and Lew Tendler.

Then there's Schmeling vs Baer, billed as a great struggle between the Nazis and Jews. But Schmeling was a half-hearted poster-boy for the Nazis, at best. His manager, afterall, was Jewish. But it made great press and sold lots of tickets. And when Schmeling fought Louis, the Nazis certainly played up the idea of their Aryan hero vs a black fighter.

The last time I remember race being a big factor was when Cooney fought Holmes. That was bad. And the two men, as far as I can tell, had no animosity toward each other, but the race angle was big with the crowd, and Cooney was billed as a "great white hope". But after Holmes put him down, I think that ended alot of it.

I think it's impossible to take the race issue completely out of boxing, because it's always been a part of the American social landscape. True boxing fans, however, aren't interested in seeing a black guy beat up a white guy, or a Spanish guy beat up an Asian guy. We want to see talent, skill, power, and action.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Im white but all of my favorite boxers have always been black...ive never been a fan of any mexican boxer ever nor any white boxers. Louis, Ali, Holyfield, Foreman, Hagler, Hearns & Mayweather are my favorites all black. I dont think race has a whole lot to do with who I like more or less there style.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with MADCAPMAXIE,most true boxing fans are color blind,but love to see their coutryman whup some ass,and some of them get stupid with that like betting large amounts of money on the fight.I'm puerto rican and support my peoples but i'm not crazy like that.For example my national pride fighter Edwin Rosario vs.Julio Cesar Chavez my kick ass man.My heart is for Edwin but after two rounds I realize my boxing knowledge was correct,if Chapo can't keep Julio away his ass is in trouble.Julio ate him up and i continue to support him after beating my peoples down.LOL

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I really don't care. My top 5 favorite boxers of all time are Marciano, Holmes, Pep, Arguello, and Lewis, soooooooooo I doubt it. I'm with Shane with what he said. I like guys with good solid jabs and slickness, or hard hitters that could KO you with 1 punch and keep the pressure on. Defencive masters always please me too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
eddieed said:
I agree with MADCAPMAXIE,most true boxing fans are color blind,but love to see their coutryman whup some ass,and some of them get stupid with that like betting large amounts of money on the fight.I'm puerto rican and support my peoples but i'm not crazy like that.For example my national pride fighter Edwin Rosario vs.Julio Cesar Chavez my kick ass man.My heart is for Edwin but after two rounds I realize my boxing knowledge was correct,if Chapo can't keep Julio away his ass is in trouble.Julio ate him up and i continue to support him after beating my peoples down.LOL
I feel the same way. I usually root for Mexican fighters but that doesn't mean I don't root for anyone else. Trinidad is one of my all time favorites along with Tyson, and Hagler. I never liked Michael Carbajal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
"Max Baer wore the Star of David on his trunks, tho he was only half Jewish."

Max Baer was not Jewish at all. The man who wrote a book about the second Louis-Schmeling fight was speaking on the cablevision channel, C-Span2. He said Baer was not Jewish and only wore the Star of David on his trunks to make people think he was Jewish. The author said that Baer was the son of a pork farmer. As he went east early in his career, his goal was to fight in New York City's Madison Square Garden, the mecca of American boxers. There were many Jewish fight fans there. An article in the Jerusalem Post about the biography of a real Jewish fighter, Barney Ross, calls the symbol on Baer's trunks a publicity stunt and that he was not Jewish.

A website called something like the Jewish Library has a mini-biography of Baer. It said he wore the Star of David in his 1933 fight with the German Max Schmeling
to show his sympathy for Jews in Nazi Germany. It also said his father was a non-
practicing Jew and that his mother was of Scotch-Irish descent. You are Jewish through your mother, right?

The article went on to say that there was some criticism of the portrayal of Baer in the film Cinderella Man. The depiction of him as the villain, as
a loudmouthed bully was inaccurate. His son, Max Baer, Jr., who played Jethro in The Beverly
Hillbillies on television, wrote an angry article to a New York newspaper on this subject. He said his father financially supported the children of a fighter named Campbell who died after taking a beating from Baer in the ring, including their college educations.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
The only race any of us need to be concerned about is the HUMAN race. My theory is May the Best Man Win Though being of British descent I do have a soft spot for Brit fighters, but the color of a mans skin has no bearing on it whatsoever

1 - 20 of 23 Posts