Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me about timing on the double-end bag...it seems when I do have some good lead jab timing on the double-end bag I cannot determine what is the actual 'stimulus' or timing cue. I hit it okay, but the bag is moving so fast I don't know if I'm hitting it as it's moving away or moving in. Or am I hitting it just as it switched directions? Did it just go from being stationary for a nano-second at it's furthest point from me or it's closest. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for so that in my self-created training I am not actually training something that's wouldn't work as well, for timing, on a real fighter?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
When the bag gets to it's furthest point that it is about to snap back that is when you should get ready to hit it because you want to hit the bag when it's on it's way towards you. You'll want to then put quick combinations and footwork into your routine as you get better. As in everything, the more you do it, the more you get used to it, the more you get better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

Any suggestions on working on hooks and timing on left to right movement? Seems that it's about repetition/practice...just wondered if there is a specific way to approach it from the beginning/a methodical way to work my way up, so to speak...

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Any suggestions on working on hooks and timing on left to right movement? Seems that it's about repetition/practice...just wondered if there is a specific way to approach it from the beginning/a methodical way to work my way up, so to speak...
Yes my suggestion is hit the bag and stay at it, you should throw hooks the same as you would throw them regularly, the only difference there'll be is the bag will go from change angles from side to side and you'll put the bag in a head lock from time to time. With left to right movement just hit it when it's coming closest towards you. As a beginner just start with 3 minute rounds, 1 minute rest and try mostly straight punches, Everything else freestyle it.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Man I can hit that bag like a speed bag with all kind of punches, the trick to dominating this type of bag and inproving your timing is this:
you have to begin taping the bag and progressively increasing the speed as you master basic covinations it won't happen in one day or a week even but if you keep at it you'll eventually be able to sparr against the bag it self you'll see, keep at it don't stop...:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts