Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm away at college now and I recently started taping my heavy bag workouts (since there is no boxing gym up here), and I noticed that my left hook is slow because even before a head shot, I drop it down low and then arc it up. My right is faster because I don't do that and always keep it parallel to the ground. Any tips to not do that? I haven't had any proper training in a while, so I don't know how to fix it.

Also, what is a good way to increase hand speed (jab especially)? I can't gauge if people can read my punches as I haven't sparred in close to a year, so any benefits in hand speed would help. Any quick tips? Thanks!

-Dave

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Hey Dave, welcome to the forum bro.

You said you tape your bag workouts. Would you mind posting one so we can give you a better evaluation and advice?

As far as increasing handspeed, do pushups very quickly and focus on exploding upwards as fast as you can. Fast movements help to increase your fast twitch muscle fiber, which will help generate more speed/explosion.
You could also try using one of the elastic shadow boxing training units, and focus on snapping your punches as quickly as correct form will allow you. The added resistance of the shadow boxing bands will help.
Just remember, the key is low/medium resistance with explosive movements.

Of course make sure you are warmed up and have the blood pumping before doing any of the exercises to help prevent injury.

Let me know about the video...

·
Registered
31 Posts
About the left hook: why do hooks have to go parallel with the ground?
I don't see exactly how that would benefit.
And Joe Frazier's left hook wasn't parallel at all, it went more upwards. And you can't say his punches arent effective.
I know everyone says it has to be parallel but no-one ever explains why, or do people just say it because everyone else says the same?

And this may be a noobish question but what exactly does snapping punches mean? I'm not english so I don't really know what the word means but by the sound of it I'm guessing punching in that way so that your hand automatically comes back...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alrighty, sounds good. I'll post a video either tonight or tomorrow (too much homework to get through). :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About the left hook: why do hooks have to go parallel with the ground?
I don't see exactly how that would benefit.
And Joe Frazier's left hook wasn't parallel at all, it went more upwards. And you can't say his punches arent effective.
I know everyone says it has to be parallel but no-one ever explains why, or do people just say it because everyone else says the same?

And this may be a noobish question but what exactly does snapping punches mean? I'm not english so I don't really know what the word means but by the sound of it I'm guessing punching in that way so that your hand automatically comes back...
The problem isn't that it isn't parallel, it's that I drop it down and back before throwing it. There are two main problems that I can see: first, my defense is compromised because second, you can see it coming if it isn't amidst a combo.

All that snapping means is the motion which you throw your jab (which isn't a power punch, it should be quick in and out). :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
But isn't a parallel left hook to the head much easyer to counterpunch than one going more upwards? When your opponent throws it parallel to your head his left side of his body is totally exposed.
Let alone a right hook, where his liver would be exposed...
And when you throw your hook more upwards it already ends in almost the exact same form as you are going to defend, while with a parallel one you need to bring your elbow down again.

About the snapping :)
Why do some people say its very "skilled" to snap every punch including hooks... Shouldn't they be powerpunches?
So isn't snapping the feeling when your arm returns back automatically because of the way you throw it?
When I throw my jab I barely need to use any energy to bring it back to defense and it goes very fast, because my elbow joint works that way I guess. (I throw the jab from my shoulder though, I think thats the proper way but I'm not sure)

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
When I say "snapping" punches, I mean a fast punch that makes impact on the target, not 6 inches behind it, and not "pushing" the target, the punch should make impact quickly but explosively, and then return to normal position very quickly. (it doesnt return under its own rebound force, but by you physically pulling your fist back in to guard position. In other words, without leaving the punching arm out and exposed for any length of time)

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Alrighty, sounds good. I'll post a video either tonight or tomorrow (too much homework to get through). :)
Sounds good. I'll also have a couple of the guys take a look in addition to me, and we'll give you some thoughts.:thumbsup:

Oh, and BTW, if you have any trouble posting a youtube link, or whatever method you want to use, let me know and I'll help get you set up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, sorry I haven't posted anything yet. Damn school work is taking up most of my time, but I should have a video up later tonight (tis my birthday today though, so I might be doing some...studying :D )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Dave, welcome to the forum bro.

You said you tape your bag workouts. Would you mind posting one so we can give you a better evaluation and advice?

As far as increasing handspeed, do pushups very quickly and focus on exploding upwards as fast as you can. Fast movements help to increase your fast twitch muscle fiber, which will help generate more speed/explosion.
You could also try using one of the elastic shadow boxing training units, and focus on snapping your punches as quickly as correct form will allow you. The added resistance of the shadow boxing bands will help.
Just remember, the key is low/medium resistance with explosive movements.

Of course make sure you are warmed up and have the blood pumping before doing any of the exercises to help prevent injury.

Let me know about the video...
is there any chane me sending you my bag work for crit? :woot:

·
Registered
5 Posts
all punch should be done in a snappy motion with power. it takes practice to do it though. the advantage of a snappy punch is that you return to a good form and defense right after you hit your opponent. remember that your opponent would defend the shot and counter your shot. if your hook is not snappy, you would be countered by another hook or an uppercut. now, with dropping the arm before doing the hook, you should avoid it. it would make your punch slower and easy to read. hooks should be very quick. now, if someone would say that boxer this or boxer that does it, why is it wrong. most boxers have incorrect mannerisms that they have perfected over the years of boxing. a lot of great boxers have a wrong form. they have compensated it with fast reflexes and movements.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts