Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a HUGE Earnie Shavers... what he lacked in most departments as a boxer (Handspeed, Footwork, Stamina, Chin etc.)... he made up for in power... AND WHAT POWER!!! He is considered by many to be the hardest punching Heavyweight Boxer of all time. He was dodged by George Foreman... Muhammad Ali said that Earnie Shavers hit him so hard that "He shook my brothers back in Africa!" Larry Holmes even said that Earnie Shavers was the hardest puncher he ever fought. But like many hard punchers... Earnie had a problem with a weak chin and a lack of stamina. If he didn't get that big punch on your early on... your chances of beating him would increase. Jerry Quarry fought smart against an overconfident Earnie Shavers in 1973... "GOT HIM RIGHT ON THAT WEAK CHIN"... and won in the first round. I recently found out that Earnie Shavers "BEAT JIMMY YOUNG VIA FIRST ROUND KO"... I never knew that... I fought he lost to that guy... Lyle did... and so did Foreman... and Ali and Norton should've lost to him... and Quarry lost to him as well... but Earnie knocked him out in the first round!!! I NEVER EVER KNEW THAT!!! Their rematch was a DRAW... but "MEH!" Anyways... I found this on a website... tell me what you think...

If Earnie Shavers took on...
http://www.geocities.com/sadmspats/shavers.htm said:
Lennox Lewis-Shavers would rush Lewis and deliever early, Lewis would have to be a lot busier and smarter then he has shown. I don't think Lewis would have time to even get started and Shavers would land and that would be it. Prediction-Shavers KO in 2
Shavers

That's from that website... it also states that Tyson would beat Shavers and so would Holyfield... go to it and fight out more if you want to! :cheeky4:

Although Shavers had a problem with handspeed, footwork, agility and such... I reckon there could've been two things that... if fixed... would have made him almost "UNBEATABLE!"

1. CAST IRON CHIN
  2. GOOD STAMINA

If he had those two things... combines with his "SUPERMAN LIKE PUNCHING POWER"... I reckon Shavers would have been "INVINCIBLE!!!"

What can I say... I'm a fan of his!!!

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
lewis would have ko'd shavers in the first round!

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
White Tyson said:
Are you sure about that? :D
every time lewis fought a big puncher he would charge at them from the first bell, golota and rudduck are good examples.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tommygunn said:
every time lewis fought a big puncher he would charge at them from the first bell, golota and rudduck are good examples.
Golota went about that fight the wrong way (Panic Attack?) and Lewis never fought Bowe as a Professional... HOWEVER... Lewis is... overall... a better boxer than those two!:cheeky4:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
White Tyson said:
Golota went about that fight the wrong way (Panic Attack?) and Lewis never fought Bowe as a Professional... HOWEVER... Lewis is... overall... a better boxer than those two!:cheeky4:
bowe done everything he could to duck lewis, even give up his title. lewis called out bowe for around 4 or 5 years solid.

golota went into the lewis fight the way he did every fight which was efective for him throughout his career.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
It depends with Lewis. If he fought the Earnire Shavers that fought Ali and Holmes, and the Lewis that fought Mercer and Morrison, I would have to say... Either one KO 1-5. If Shavers hits Lewis with his cannon of a right, its over, but if Lewis fights Earnie smart, and whacks him with the uppercut a few times, it would be all over.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
bill1234 said:
It depends with Lewis. If he fought the Earnire Shavers that fought Ali and Holmes, and the Lewis that fought Mercer and Morrison, I would have to say... Either one KO 1-5. If Shavers hits Lewis with his cannon of a right, its over, but if Lewis fights Earnie smart, and whacks him with the uppercut a few times, it would be all over.
I agree with bill1234 Because... don't forget... Lennox Lewis had that suspect/weak chin as well and because of that he lost to 2 bums! Out of all the 2 people he could've lost to (Holyfield, Tyson, etc)... he lost to Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman? I mean WHAT THE HELL?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
White Tyson said:
I agree with bill1234 Because... don't forget... Lennox Lewis had that suspect/weak chin as well and because of that he lost to 2 bums! Out of all the 2 people he could've lost to (Holyfield, Tyson, etc)... he lost to Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman? I mean WHAT THE HELL?
first of all lewis never had a weak chin, no HW in history fought as many hard punchers as lewis did.

secondly, lewis should not have been stopped against mcCall, he was fine. that was a BS stoppage.

thirdly. rahman can bench over 500lbs. he could have ko'd anyone.

and lastly, lewis beat these guys in the rematches very easily.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
george foreman and jim lampley both think lewis is the greatest HW in history.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
george foreman and jim lampley both think lewis is the greatest HW in history.
Foreman doesn't count, he changes his mind every 2 years. On ring side George Foreman (2006) he said Ali was the greatest. He changes his choice of G.O.A.T more frequently then Bert Sugar changes his top lists.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Foreman doesn't count, he changes his mind every 2 years. On ring side George Foreman (2006) he said Ali was the greatest. He changes his choice of G.O.A.T more frequently then Bert Sugar changes his top lists.
he must rate lewis pretty high to have put him 1 though.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
he must rate lewis pretty high to have put him 1 though.
I'm not really sure. He was probably getting carried away at the retirment ceramony for Lennox. Foreman has had Marciano #1, Ali #1, and now Lewis #1, he just can't make up his mind.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
White Tyson said:
I wouldn't put Lewis in The Top 10 all time greatest Heavyweights but he'd still rate higher than Earnie Shavers! :thumbsup:
If you have Shavers anywhere near your top 10 something is wrong with you list. Lewis for me, I think anywhere from 12-8 or 7 is reasonable. I think I currently have him at 10 or 11, still debating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts