Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey has anyone seen info on how fast top conditioned (like mayweather, pavlik, taylor, mosley, cotto) can run a mile? Does anyone have info on trackwork or raodwork that they might do with times per mile/sprint?

Thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I'm just going to come out and say this...

I think that most fighters keep their running times a secret for a few simple reasons:

1. Competition scouts can see where an athletes strengths/weaknesses lie based on their max reps/mile times ect. Making it easier to train for a physically stronger/weaker opponent.

2. Most fighters have pathetic conditioning compared to endurance athletes and powerlifters and it would make the sport look inferior and therefore less respectable.

3. Most fighters spend most of their time sparring and training to get in better fighting shape, which only has limited translation to racing/power lifting performances. Once again makes boxing look more barbaric and gutsy as opposed to athletic and skillful.

Now am I seriously gonna sit here and have no one disprove me with proof that some of the most athletically gifted and skillful fighters on the planet can't even throw down a 5 minute mile...or am I going to assume that because all the people I have ever trained with, including top ten contenders are the weak sauce of the athletic world because I am running 15 miles at the same pace as these guys do their 800m sprints?

Seriously, it drives me crazy because you have these old ladies running marathons which is alot harder than fighting for 4 rounds and yetwe call ourselves "talented athletes!"

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I found an article that claims that Mayweather can throw down a 5 minute mile, 40 pull-ups and 200 sit ups when fresh. I believe it, but the article offers no proof. If only I could find info on Paqiou or Mayweather ACTUALLY doing trackwork. Well, I guess I will see when I go to train with Coach Roach.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts