Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In his recent blog posting on Setanta Sports, trainer Enzo Calzaghe said that he's ready to take the next step with Gavin Rees (27-0, 13KOs) by targeting Ricky Hatton (43-1, 31KOs). Rees, the unbeaten WBA junior welterweight champion, was recently turned down for Hatton's possible May return in Manchester.

"People often bypass Gavin Rees when they talk about my fighters – I’ve got three world champions in my camp," Calzaghe said. "The ability of this kid is monstrous. The only question is where he goes from here. He’s got a mandatory defence first but I can say this now after that I’ll be looking for Ricky Hatton. Without a question of a doubt."

Calzaghe said Rees will take Hatton's money, pocket the riches and then beat him.

"He’ll have true rewards from that, beating Ricky and then taking the money off him as well," Calzaghe said. "First he’ll take his money then he’ll beat him. Junior Witter’s worth nothing moneywise. Ricky Hatton’s worth a monster amount. I want Gavin to cement himself financially and his ambition is to beat Ricky Hatton. This is not nasty talk, because I respect Ricky big time, I respect what he’s done. He’s a good champion and he’s a good guy as well."

"In boxing terms, its common sense I talk this way. He’s after what Ricky can pay. Boxing Ricky is not like boxing Junior Witter. Financially there’s a massive gulf in that. With Ricky Hatton involved it will be a massive fight. We can’t wait. First thing we need to do is get the mandatory fight sorted, but a Hatton fight will come."

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Enzo also said a while back there's no way Rees would fight Hatton yet, because he isnt ready. I think they know Ricky won't take this fight, so there just talking the usual;)

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Enzo C has a gob on him. :laugh:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
lol man, you hear him ripping into David Haye on Setanta Sports? He basically said Macca is faster, stronger, more powerful and more skilled and called Haye an overhyped bum:laugh:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol man, you hear him ripping into David Haye on Setanta Sports? He basically said Macca is faster, stronger, more powerful and more skilled and called Haye an overhyped bum:laugh:

And you still gota love him for it Tom, he's a cool guy. :laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts