Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Fightnews.

Enzo Maccarinelli has warned David Haye there will be no hiding place on Saturday night - as the WBA/WBC cruiserweight champion continues to show signs of paranoia in the build up to Saturday night. According to Sports Network, it is rumoured that Haye was regularly changing gyms and hotels in the States to avoid being spied on in training and he declined to reveal where a press event will take place tomorrow until the very last minute to avoid giving secrets away. "It sounds as if Haye is running scared - but there'll be no hiding place on Saturday night," said WBO boss Maccarinelli. "To be honest I don't need to spy on Haye because I know exactly how to beat him, and have done for ages. Don't get me wrong, he's a great champion and I've got a lot of respect for him, but there's only one winner in this fight and that's me." Maccarinelli and Haye clash at the O2 Arena, London, on March 8 in one of the biggest domestic showdowns for years. Setanta Sports televise in the UK, Showtime in the United States.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
This Maccarinelli guy has had a new quote just about every day saying the same shiit. For someone that nobody knows about he sure does run his mouth.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I sure as hell hope so. From what I keep reading Haye has to get him out early or he has no shot late.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I have the feeling this is gonna be a close fight. Maccarinelli looks the more technically sound fighter while Haye relies mostly on his athletic skills. Both have tremendeous power. This one will NOT go the distance.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I have the feeling this is gonna be a close fight. Maccarinelli looks the more technically sound fighter while Haye relies mostly on his athletic skills. Both have tremendeous power. This one will NOT go the distance.
Glad to see taht youre alive man

And yeah I agree with you, I dont see it going the distance, both are tremendous punchers and neither one have a sturdy chin. I'm taking Maccarinelli to win this fight though I have a feeling hes the underdog

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Haye will take Macca out early. Macca has better defense than Haye and thats about it, Haye has been fighting the much better competition hence why hes looked vulnerable. Macca's best win is against a Braithwaite, who had fought 3 times in 2 years, whereas Haye has fought at world level against Mormeck.

I also think the whole 'the later it goes the better for Macca' is false IMO, Haye was still fighting at a good pace and looked fairly decent against Mormeck in the 7th, and this time he hasnt had to lose as much weight because he didnt pile on the lbs after the Mormeck fight.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Im putting money at the bookies on Haye inside 3 rounds and il probably put some VBookie points on it too. I think the under is the best idea, i honestly think this fight won't go past 6 rounds either way.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Read an interesting piece in boxing news today by claude abrams (the editor) which said that Haye had been overstating the weight problems because he believed that it would entice Macca (and essentially warren, who's known to be cautious) into fighting him because they believed he'd be weight drained and therefore would go easier. But in actual fact he's made it pretty comfortably this time and will come in under the limit.

Now abrams is a Haye nuthugger (Glyn Leach of boxing monthly too), but if that's true then enzo has far less of a shot than most people give him as most are basing it on haye being less comfortable at the weight. I think enzo has to box the most boring match of his life if he wants to win, which he's fully capable of doing as he has enzo calzaghe in his corner and enzo specializes in boxers not punchers.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Enzo sure does have his hands full but im supporting him all the way. After this fight il support Haye in his heavyweight career but one thing ive found funny about him how he's rubbished Enzo's resume this week and also when asked would he be tempted to fight Steve Cunningham he said "Who???" "He's never fought anybody"

Although having a point he's hardly walking around with a De La Hoya or Bernard Hopkins type resume himself. Apart from Mormeck, theres just about Carl Thompson worth mentioning and Thompson at 40 knocked him out!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I was shocked at just how poor Maccra was.

I mean if you have a glass jaw that is one thing and there isn't a lot you can do about it apart from protect it a lot better. No the thing that truely shocked me was how poor his survival insticts were.

You get some guys, big or tough that get pushed into boxing and then you have true fighters who box, guys who have the instincts that are required to be at a high level in the ring. The two shouldn't be mixed up, this fight showed they were. Maccra had all the survival instincts when he was in trouble of a rabbit caught in the headlights of a car, of an elk that had a tiger on its hind legs. Macca froze like we used to see robot Frank Bruno freezing when hit. The hands dropped the chin stuck out. He could have taken the knee, he could have kept his hands high and chin low....in fact he could have done almost anything other than what he did.

For me the gulf between in class has been truely exposed, Enzo Maccarinelli had a poor belt in a poor division and is nothing more than a glass jawed robot. He might be able to get belts in this division given the lack of quality in it with Haye moving up, but frankly I even doubt that. I think he should retire.

Haye looks powerful, looks the part and can move up to heavyweight and might cause a stir given how poor the heavyweight division is these days. The big questions will like will the power still carry at heavy? Has Haye he got any real stamina? How will that jaw take a heavyweight shot? and how good is that Haye defense given the low left hand? will likely remian up in the air until he meets a sufficient calibre of opponent, probably for one of the titles at heavyweight.

This fight was a massive failure for British boxing in my opinion. In being hyped as being potentially better than Eubank-Benn and other such classics Setanta made a complete arse of themselves.

It was a damp smelly 4 minutes of a fight that was ridiculously one sided.

I thought it was hilarious the way the fight was on freeview and that it moved to pay-per-view at 3am, by which time the fight had been watched for free and the analysis of the two punches had also been watched for free.:eek: The fact that Setanta were asking people to pay money to watch the end of the boxing analysis when the stadium was empty just made them look pathetic. Added to which they spoke about their big upcoming events and headed the list with a low level soccer game. It made them look so funny, as did watching them attempt to justify their hype by trying to make out the fight was any better than a fart in the bath, which it wasn't.:D:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts