Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be buying headgear, a groin protector, shoes, mouth guard, hand wraps, jersey, trunks, gym bag, and gloves. Can anyone tell me what brand or style I should buy thats good and also if I buy it online how I figure out what size I need. Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Boxingboy,
welcome to the forums!

Heres what I would recommend-

Check out Ringside.com and Titleboxing.com

They both have professional quality gear at very good prices, and there customer service at both sites is tremendous.

In most cases a "normal" size glove works, and standard handwrap length of 180" is recommended.

Ringside also has a "Live Help" option on their website where you can type back and forth with a representative who can answer all of your questions about their gear.
I have personally ordered from both and used products from both, so I can honestly say that they are fantastic.

What is your budget for the products you want? What is your height and weight? Will you be using the gloves for just training/bag work, or do you also need to spar with them?

I'll do my best to help aid you with some suggestions for gear if you can provide some details for me.

Thanks

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
also, check out our Gear Review section. While there isnt a plethora of products listed in there just yet (we are currently working on adding more) , there is still some great info on some very good products there.

http://www.boxingforum.com/boxing-equipment-reviews/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im 5'8 and I weigh 124 pounds. I'm going to be using the gloves for sparring and bag work. I really don't have a budget and i'm looking at getting some of the better quality gear but I don't think I need the best. Thank you for your help.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Yeah, at your size the "regular" size gloves and standard size wraps and protective gear should be just right. If your on a tight budget, check out the Ringside Top Contender series of gloves and protection. They're not tops, but they get the job done when moneys tight.

I'd recommend getting a quality set of gloves though instead of the top contender's.
Try one of these:
Safety Training Gloves - Lace Cuff from Combatsports.com
Gym Training Gloves from Combatsports.com

You should be looking for 14oz or 16oz if your planning on sparring with them. At your size, the 14oz would be ok.

When you get handwraps, I recommend the traditional style (not mexican-style, which have elastic and can tend to cut off circulation when sweating)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot for the help. Ill be looking into getting one pair of those gloves and ill also be using the websites you told me about.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I totally agree with captain obvious here ( this is not me cheesing it actually do) but i would also say that Lonsdale do some fairly cheap boxing gloves that can be bought from a few good suppliers.
If you were looking for a slightly more expensive boxing gloves choice you may look at the Reebok Gloves. They are fairly sturdy pieces of boxing equipment but slightly more expensive than the lonsdale.

At the end of the day if you do have the choice to try them on go with whats comfortable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts