Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

evander holyfeild beats fres oquendo

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  JCC 
#1 ·
evander holyfeild scored an unimpressive points decision over fellow american fres oquendo in 12 rounds.

holyfeild, 44, showed little of his renowned speed or punching power as he continued his bid to become the first 5-time heavyweight champion.

all 3 judges in san antonio gave the fight to holyfeild, with one scoring it 116-111 and the other 2 scorig the fight 114-113 for the former great.

many fans booed throughout, with there being little action as holyfeild battled a fighter 11 years his junior.

"im not teribly impressed with myself" holyfeild conceded "but i got the job done and im thankfull, this guy was moving back so fast that i actualy had to leap at him to hit hit him. but now there's nobody who can say he cant go 12 rounds because i went 12".

evander hopes this will gain him a title fight (he mensioned briggs) early next year.

#5 · (Edited)
You can't expect Evander Holyfield ... to be the fighter now he was alot of years ago.

He's a really old guy now for a fighter in making a comeback at age 44.

I saw his first fight on his comeback with Bates here in Dallas ... but didn't see his recent and last fight with Oquendo.

But based on these posts I just read and by a lot I've been hearing lately, it appears the fans are turning their back on him or at least in the sense of being critical of his comeback many are and that's understandable.

But he did win his fight with Oquendo? .

Though I didn't see the fight, I heard Holyfield won this fought by a unamious decision, right?

That's not so unimpressive.

But to expect Holyfield to be the fighter he was around 15 years ago ... is unfair, naturally he isn't now as impressive.

How could he be at his age now? Possible, but not likely.

However, with the current talent in the heavyweights as it is today, I do believe he could likely win a world title fight in a weak heavyweight division.

I recently read the legendary great handler and fight trainer Lou Duva who I have great respect and admiration for who formerly managed and had trained Holyfield said that. I believe he may well be right too.

How many do we have today calling themselves world champions among the heavyweights?

The last time I counted it was eight!

This is not intended to give the impression that I have no appreciation on for the talent among the heavyweights today really. But I would be lieing, if I were to say that I believed the talent that was there 15 or 20 years ago in still there today.

Going into this fight with Oquendo, I read that Holyfield said he didn't care what other people think about him.

I don't know what Holyfield's pay off was for this last fight with Oquendo was. But in his previous fight with Bates on his comeback, he got a quarter of a million dollars for that fight!

And how long was that fight?

Less than fives minutes he spent in the ring?

For that kind of money, I could see why Holyfield doesn't care what any body thinks about him and his comeback.

What was his pay off for the last fight?

But as for as Holyfield's stated goal of becoming the only, and undisputed heavyweight champion of the world in now having made a come back?

If that really is Holyfield's goal, for real?

That I can not see happening!

But to be able to win ... a world heavyweight title fight?

I see as being do able for Holyfield.

JCC

#9 ·
All this talk I'm hearing today about how some fans or even many fans ... don't like it that Holyfield's back!

What about all the "chesse champs" in boxing today?

I am not hearing any body complaining and saying they shouldn't be boxing.

There are a lot of heavyweights today, in which I think it would be quite obvious to most fans that aren't as good a fighter as Holyfield.

Why all this complaining that Holyfield is back boxing now? I just trying to understand this bitterness by some people towards Holyfield.

JCC

#10 ·
I wasn't impressed with his fight against Bates and did not see the Oquendo fight due to the price tag. I didn't think that he would beat Oquendo. He seemed too slow to me against Bates. I might pay to see a Briggs/Holyfield bout. Briggs isn't exactly elusive. It would be like fighting Old George all over again.

#11 · (Edited)
theboz19 said:
I wasn't impressed with his fight against Bates ...
I wasn't impressed with Holyfield's fight with Bates.

But the fight went just like I knew it would be for Holyfield.

Bates was a preliminary kid ... and Holyfield had him too out classed.

That fight for Holyfield was like punching a bag in the gym ... Bates was in way over his head in being in there with Holyfield.

I saw the fight! I was there!

Bates very near didn't make it past the first round. Holyfield had him in serious trouble in the last seconds of the first round, Bates was saved by the bell.

In the second round ... Bates gave up actually, he could not handle Holyfield ... he was too out classed and knew it.

Bates caught against the ropes by Holyfield and worked into a corner could do nothing but just put his hands to his face trying to protect himself and covered up and that's all he could do, and all he did do. He was just too out classed.

Holyfield just punched him like he was punching a bag ... and Bates had just given up.

But hey, it was a $ 20,000 pay day for Bates!

Not bad for preliminary kid, and that's obviously all Bates was there for a pay day!

And that's how I saw the fight!

JCC

#12 ·
I watched the Bates fight and just thought "Yeah, he beat this chump, but how far does he really think this can go?" He had a long career, he was in more than his fair share of wars, in general he got hit a lot in his fights, and he's had a heart condition that I think might have been the reason for some of his difficulties in the ring with finishing a guy when he didn't look all punched-out. In the post-fight interview after Bates it looked like the years had taken their toll even in his speech.

I'm a fan of the guy that retired but I'm afraid that as this comeback progresses the only outcome will be an eventual humiliating defeat. :dunno:

#13 · (Edited)
That may be ... but he's make a lot of money, look at what his pay day was in the last two fights. The first fight with Bates ... three quarter of a million dollars for what 5 minutes in the ring?

It's the money why he's there.

You mentioned his health ... all fighters have to undergo physical examinations .. apparently he passes them or he wouldn't be allowed to fight.

In the amatuers ... they fight for glory, in the pro's .. it's all about the money, and not any else.

JJC

#14 ·
Yeah, I know it's mostly about the moo-lah. And I know they give them a physical examine and explain the risks, but they can't predict what kind of shots he might take in the ring.

I guess what it boils down to is that ageism on my part mixed with the fact that I hate the thought of a hall of fame fighter tarnishing their record. I know some have met with some success, but then I can still see the Terry Norris v Sugar Ray Leonard fight in my mind and I just cringe. Or Tyson and McBride: 5 million dollar payday and one more loss added to his record. I hate finding myself thinking "If this was ten years, this wouldn't have been a fight, it would have been a slaughter". I'm not paying to see that stuff.. :(

#15 · (Edited)
Screwpost said:
Yeah, I know it's mostly about the moo-lah. And I know they give them a physical examine and explain the risks, but they can't predict what kind of shots he might take in the ring.
I guess we could apply to ALL fighters.

If the medical profession had their way, boxing may would have been banned years ago.

If you think its a tough business imagine how it was 30 years or more ago before it started changing and fans began losing interest it.

Especially, as for those older to know and to remember the way it was and the talent that boxing use to have.

Imagine even what it was back before the days of "gloved" boxing when they fought with bare knuckles and would fight 50 to 100 rounds ... and would go back to work in the foundries the next day. Imagine how salty those guys must have been?

What we call boxing today, is weak and the fights are boring compared to way boxing use to be.

Screwpost said:
I guess what it boils down to is that ageism on my part mixed with the fact that I hate the thought of a hall of fame fighter tarnishing their record. I know some have met with some success, but then I can still see the Terry Norris v Sugar Ray Leonard fight in my mind and I just cringe. Or Tyson and McBride: 5 million dollar payday and one more loss added to his record. I hate finding myself thinking "If this was ten years, this wouldn't have been a fight, it would have been a slaughter".
Well, a pro ... is focused on one thing and one thing only. It's the money!

They aren't really caring about the things you are worrying about for them.

In the amatuers it can be kind of that way, but rarely in the pros. It's the money! That why they are there!

Screwpost said:
I'm not paying to see that stuff.
I don't either. I may watch some fights. But if do, and whenever I do. I'm never the one paying. As for pay per veiw? There's nobody fighting today that I would have enough interest in to pay to see.

Of course, if it's free? I'll watch it. I always go for the free stuff whether it be someone else paying or whatever? LOL

JCC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.