Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holyfield Wins a UD over Lou Saverase in very convincing fashion. He was up all all three scorecards by a very large margin. He knocked Lou Down in the 4th with a 15 punch combination, he knocked him down in the 9th with a monster and i mean monster left hook. He knocked him down again in the 10th, but Lou made it out of the fight. It was a back and forth fight until the fourth round and holyfield was the man from then on out. Great fight with an awesome undercard as well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I didn't see the undercard because my fiance was over but fortunately she left in time for the main event. Some people mentioned that they don't like the cheap PPV's. This one wasn't too bad as far as camera work and commentating. Anything besides Larry Merchant is generally OK in my book. Now I will give you my interpretation of how the fight went down.

Lou looked fairly calm and ready to go. EH looked strangely doubtful and tired.

Rounds 1 & 2: Fairly uneventful. Lou started complaining about head butts. IMO a fighter shouldn't complain in the middle of a fight. The referee is standing right there and the whole thing is being videotaped. You are better off not letting your opponent know that it is getting to you.

Round 3: Lou hits EH with a nice uppercut that stuns EH for just a moment. Lou isn't able to follow it up with anything substantial.

Round 4: Lou leaves a lazy jab just hanging in EH's face. EH throws a right hand over the top and stuns the big man bad. EH chases Lou down and finally gets the knockdown with a nice shot to the body.

Rounds 5-8: Lou recovered well but IMO only because EH seems to want the work. More lazy jabs from Lou but no counter from EH:dunno: .

Round 9: EH set up a left hook with another shot to the body. I can't believe that Lou got up.

Round 10: Lou barely survives EH's onslaught. Lou said in a pre-fight interview that he wished it was a 12-round fight. I'm sure that he feels otherwise now.

EH's jab looked fast and powerful. His defense looked good. Keep in mind Lou's punches are a bit slow. IMO EH looks ready for a title shot. I am concerned that he didn't finish the fight off in the 5th when I think he clearly could have. I guess that it is possible that he wanted the work and he didn't feel like he was in any danger of getting KO'd.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yeah im still in shock that Lou got up in the 9th, that left hook was AMAZING, and i honestly think Evander can beat everyone in this division execpt Wlad and i hope to god he wont fight him but either winner of the chagaec vs Igramiboc(or whatever :D) og Maskaev vs Peter cause he can beat all of those guys. So im pumped for Evander and i beg he wont fight Wald

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol it was a good looking ppv, i didnt buy it however. i watched it through sopcast on the itnerenet for free. but the undercard featured some grea great prospects in david rodriguez, heavyweight who is 26 and 0 with 25 ko's and is a nice guy. And a jr featherweight ricky vasquez who is 2 -0 now but this guy has the stuff.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Evander looked good then, he should get the fight with Ibragimov-Chagaev IMO i think Peter will be WBC champ soon and Holyfield will struggle with Peter and Wlad.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It will be an awesome build up if Holy can get a belt then work his way up to Vlad. Is there enought time for Vitali to get a belt, have Holy beat him and then go after Vlad? Sorry, just trying to make it interesting again.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
the only title holder evander could beat would be maskaev and he wont fight him because sam peter and vitali have claims to the title in the next 2 fights, he stands no chance against wlad, sultan or ruslan!

come on guys, has everyone forgot how bad evander looked against larry the legend?

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Had former four-time heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield, 44, and former contender Lou Savarese, 41, fought ten years ago, it’s unlikely the action generated through ten rounds would have been any less than it was last night at the Don Haskins Center at UTEP in El Paso, Texas.

Holyfield, obstinate in his quest for a fifth world title, and Savarese, hopeful to once again break top ten contention, gave the loud-but-meager crowd of 3,500 a fight that outdid most top-level heavyweight matches between younger champs or contenders.

The fight, billed as “The Road to the Heavyweight Championship,” promoted by Main Events and shown on Pay-Per-View, edged Holyfield, winner by unanimous decision, one step closer to a title shot, and Savarese, surviving two knockdowns, announcing retirement.

Round one was a cautious one for Savarese, with Holyfield jabbing and landing an overhand right that sliced open a vertical cut between his opponent’s eyes.

After half a round of complaining of head-butts, Savarese picked up the pace in the second, mixing with Holyfield but losing to the former champ’s jab.

In round three, Savarese struck back, burying an uppercut in Holyfield that had his knees buckling. The former champ held on and weathered the remainder of the round, only to return in the next round at top form..

This time it was Holyfield’s turn to hurt his foe, first staggering Savarese with a right, then pummeling him against the ropes until he sank to his knees for an eight-count.

One round later, Savarese was back in the fight, taking the play away from Holyfield, who was no longer trying to jab his way on the inside. Savarese utilized his jab and timed his right.

The ebb and flow continued through round six, Holyfield double-jabbing and Savarese, landing big right hands.

Savarese’s uppercuts returned in the seventh, but, by the end of the round, he was breathing hard, his mouth wide open. Meanwhile, Holyfield was engaging Savarese in some of the best exchanges seen yet, but finding his underdog foe a harder-than-expected challenge.

Through the final three rounds, however, Holyfield took over.

Round eight was a war of jabs, but, with Savarese’s stamina fading, Holyfield upped his aggression until, in the ninth, he had Savarese on his bike.

With just moments remaining in the ninth, Holyfield shot a right to the pit of Savarese’s bread basket, followed by a bread-winning left hook to the chin that not only floored Savarese, but swept him off his feet.

Miraculously, Savarese beat the count and was saved by the bell.

Nearly out on his feet for most of the final frame, Savarese weathered Holyfield’s final assault, taking more than enough punishment to warrant Referee Jesse Reyes to keep a close watch, and for Savarese’s cornerman to keep a tight grip on a white towel, ready for the throwing.

Somehow, Savarese survived, and the fight went to the scorecards.

All three judges scored it for Holyfield: 99-87 (Ray Hawkins), 98-90 (Jerry Wright) and 96-91 (Glen Crocker).

Fightnews/NewMexicoBoxing (FN/NMB) had a similar score, 97-92 for Holyfield.

“Lou is a veteran and a very difficult fighter,” said Holyfield, now 42-8-2, 38 KOs.

“He was hitting me with uppercuts, and he hurt me with a few of them.”

Savarese, falling to 46-7, 38 KOs, announced his retirement at the post-fight press conference.

“I gave my all,” said Savarese, “but Holyfield’s a legend.”

Holyfield, rating his performance a “70 out of 100,” was satisfied with his performance.

“Age is just a number,” he said. “I think I proved that today. I am still determined and I will not quit until I am a five-time world champion.”

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did you watch the fight tommy???? i know how bad holyfield looked in his last few fights before his comeback, but last night he looked amazing. Ill bet on holyfield against all 3 titleholders except wlad. HOlyfield woud of knocked them all out with some of the punches he landed on savarese.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Damn Savarese looked roided. Damn Holyfield IS roided. I can't really cheer for him too much because of my feelings towards that.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
lol Holyfield always looked roided to me, but i dunno about him. I heard they found bills for loads of steroids he had ordered, but i dont think hes ever failed a test as he?

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
savarese didnt look roided at all. he looked like he always has. Same with holyfield, he is just one of those freakish looking muscular guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts