Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm 16 years old and already have a -6 handicap of my sight. (I don't know if its the same numbers in America but so you know: its bad!) It's a handicap from birth that gets worse as long as I grow so I can't really do anything about it. It's the kind were you can't see far objects sharp btw.
I will probably have about -7 or -8 when I stop growing and lenzes are available up to -20 so that's not really a problem, and laser surgery is also available til -8.

My question is if any of you have eye problems and how you solve them with boxing? Do you wear daily contacts in a match or something so that if they fall out its not that much of a waste? Or do you simply fight without? (without lenzes I can't see any details further than like 10 inches...)
Is laser surgery perhaps an option? I was really planning on doing it when I'm 19 or something.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Uhh...I don't think you could box if you're like that. I remember Sugar Ray Leonard retired because he got hit so hard his eye sight got fucked up. Iono if they'd let you box if your eye sight is not so well. But then again Sugar Ray Leonard came back to fight against Hagler and other fighters so you might have a chance. Who knows..

·
Banned
57 Posts
i left my contacts in once, i'm -1.5 and -1. It doesnt work, i remembered i had my lenses in when one got punched out. so no, contacts are a no go.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
i know a lil about eyes since i work for my friends bro in an optician. well i only makw the glasses lol.

as you grow, your eyes will grow and become worse. i feel that you should get laser surgery if you can. i forgot how old you are, but if you can afford it, then go and see a consultant. they will tell you all the risks, the cost and if you are suitable to go for it.

i aint a fighter so dunno about if contacts are good or not. they can move about in the eye. maybe get a test done and ask them for trial contact lenses that are quite big to stay in. i'm not sure if a punch will move them though. my best bet is try it out.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Officially it's against the rules to wear contacts in competition, but I know many fighters who do and they hardly ever check.
If your vision's less than like a -3; you can probably get by without them.
My vision's a -5.75 (used to be a -6).
I've fought without contacts.
I don't recommend it, you're not going to see the shot that drops you.
I talked to my optometrist and he backed me up - if you can see punches then you stand to suffer a lot less damage to the eye than if you can't, also disposable contacts can not cause significant damage by being rubbed or significantly increase damage to the eye from being punched.
The worst that happens is a contact falls out, and you go back to where you would've been at the beginning - except probably better coz you should have at least one good eye.
Get used to not stopping sparring matches for dropped contacts; if you need to find those suckers do it during the rest break.
Learn how to take punches away from the eyebrows (tuck in the chin more to take it on the forehead or just don't get hit).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.